syringomyelia

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've recently been diagnosed with Chiari Malformation type 1 and  after reading up on the condition I found that lots of people with the condition either already have or develop syringomyelia. Does anyone know how likely it is that this will develop? Also, does anyone know if the symptoms will continue to worsen over time or will they improve now I'm on medication?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I have also been diagnosed with a chiari type 1. I don't have a syringomyelia either. I'm afraid I don't know much about the likelihood of developing one, but hopefully someone else will be able to advise. Im not sure if there may also be a difference if it is congenital vs acquired too, so bear that in mind.

Do you mind me asking what meds you are on?

• Posted

Hi twinky! Thank you for your post. I'm not sure but the neurologist thinks it may have been there since birth. I haven't had a follow-up appt yet so don't really know all the details. I'm on pregabalin(lyrica) at the moment. I have only been on them for 3 days so far. I have previously had gabepentin and amitryptolene. Both of which were unsuitable due to the side effects and my job.
  • Posted

I've also recently been diagnosed with Chiari type 1.  I don't have a syringomyelia either; it's my understandong that those tend to develop with more symptomatic lesions.  My neurologist said that they will be "keeping an eye on it" but don't expect it to worsen.  

Hope you're feeling better!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.