Depression and Counselling

Posted , 5 users are following.

Have been to see a lady twice and not finding it helpful so far..

can anyone advice if they have found talking therapies helpful??

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Talking for me is far far better than taking meds. Currently I have brilliant counsellor the best I have ever had....just lets me talk about what I want to talk about not him...there have been moments of hard work but he has got me laughing and joking again...
  • Posted

Hi Ellebi:

For me it's the totality of venues.  

I get help fron the psychologist.  I get a little help from certain trusted friends.  I get a different type of help from family.  Then I go to 12-step programs and those help another part of me. 

Exercise helps also.  And yes - meds can lift the darkness for many people.  

But there are soooo many ways to get well.  So many ways to get help.  So many ways to - ultimately - improve my life coping skills.

Hard to say it's just one thing that is helpful.  

Best, 

Chip

• Posted

First. If you have a good Counselling you have person to talk face to face and to speak the hard aout you can tel evriting and any thing 
  • Posted

Mick 48...key to getting on with a counsellor is that  you have complete trust and honesty between the both of  you...no lies ...have been extremely fortunate with all my counsellors down the years
  • Posted

Hi Ellebi,

Therapy is teaching the mind to think and manage thoughts in a different way like any exercise it needs practise! The biggest thing I took from my counsillor was Do not over analise every racing thought! Dont trust the thoughts ...............that has stuck with me and I just dont give any thought to these feelings, it will take time to think this way but it will happen xx

• Posted

The lady I met twice is quiet negative, keeps asking me about suicide which I told her isnt an issue but keeps pressing me on the subject, also keeps saying how full up of sadness and how low I am.. I am not getting much positiivity off her while I keep telling her that I am very hopeful of fighting through this depression.

I dont think its normal that she is been so negative, maybe I should try someone else and see?? A proper psychologist instead of a councellor

• Posted

hey Ellebi, that sounds like a good plan do that especially if you have doubts take care keep us posted!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.