Six months post Hippy op - quick reflections

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi All,

Tis exactly six months since my hip op in Exeter, and 13 years since the other hip was resurfaced. All is well and good. Been in pain last few days as I pulled / tweaked a muscle in my side I think, anyway thus back on paracetemol - and realising I haven't taken any for months. Hopefully this will pass in a couple of days...but a  good reminder!

Hips totally pain free today too, by the way!

Thoughts pre op:

glad I did as much exercise as I could till physio said hey this is serious after seeing my X rays, and fast tracked me for hip op exactly a month after my seeing her. She said that was helpful to my quick recovery.

Thoughts at hospital:

NHS brilliant. Exeter Hospital team say TEDS stockings is an old fashioned idea, and I took 2 junior asprin  a day for 6 weeks as my anti DVT drug, which was much easier. They also were not too fussed about my sleeping on my side, which is much more comfy.

Thoughts now:

Sorry no follow up physio arranged as part of package, but luckily I belong to David Lloyd Club, so gently got back to gym and swim after 6 weeks with Trainer.  Liked this forum with messages of 'onwards and upwards' and also 'rest and take care'. Both very useful! 

I like my kneeling easily and carrrying cups/ books up and down stairs without holding on, or being in M and S not worrying about climbing stairs!  Hope I can to learn to crouch and jog smoothly  in next few months - more healing to go for me. Oh my Tai Chi is helpful to. 

Nite nite

Mic

x

2 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Glad both hips doing well. It's great when you realise you can enjoy just ordinary things. I like being able to walk round a shop and not have to think about sitting down for a rest.
    • Posted

Re hipping sharpens the shopping gene too...In my case colourful shirts! .If x
  • Posted

Great to hear about your progress.

I havent had any surgeries but have been referred to ortho for possible resurfacing of left hip.

The msk i saw recommended this rather than thr due to my age...53.

I am curious about both obviously and as you had both wondered how the ops compare??

• Posted

Hi Angela

Greetings ....yes I've had the Birmingham resurfacing thirteen years ago: recovery seemed identical for both ops....The resurfacing is aparently a less invasive operation, and I was also 13 years younger then too. I also had the horrid teds stockings then...This time they gave way to better medicine thankfully in terms of junior asprin! Resurfacing is not too hot just now cos a few researchers said metallic ions impregnated the blood stream...other studies disagree.

Hope this is helpful

Mic

• Posted

Dear Mic ...

great review ... I have been following you and your recovery was fast and furious - at least that's how it looked to me ...and you worked hard on it ... no doubt - very determined - 

good job !  

love to read more as you progess to crouching and smooth joggingcheesygrin

big hug

renee

• Posted

Good to hear, your awareness of your body undoubtedly helped the fast recovery
  • Posted

Great to hear of your recovery mic. You were fortunate to be operated on so quickly. Waiting list here 12 to 18 months and by that time I'd have had no muscles left so had go private. Onwards and upwards for all off us. Maybe someone should organise a marathon for hippies. Wouldn't that be fun all out with our hippie gear on. Careful of the maxi dresses tho. No tripping ( in the real sense of the word)
  • Posted

Hi Mic,

You are progressing really well... I am beginning to work on my kneeling and  it's coming along.

Best wishes

Ella 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.