Is this my new normal?

Posted , 16 users are following.

Hi Everyone,

my dr put me on 10mg of pred last Wednesday for PMR, and told me that I'll feel great. Well I don't. In the morning I'm still pretty achey and stiff. It usually takes until the afternoon before I feel better. Is this normal, would this still happen if I was on a higher dose? Some of you said that 10mg is too low to start with, but it seems to be what they do in the U.S. I guess my questions is, would it help to push for a higher dose, or would I still have the morning pain until the pred kicked in? How do you know when you're on the correct dose?

it really helps to read about other people's journey with this, doctors don't seem to have a clue.

thank you

0 likes, 85 replies

85 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi the treatment in US seems different to UK.When rheumatologist here put me on pred 12yrs ago once diagnosed the procedure was 20mg a day for a week then 17.5ng a day for a week then 15mg a day for a week then 12.5mg a day for a week then 10mg a day for a month then reduce by 1mg a month going back up for a month if symptoms recur before doing the slow drop again.This gives a minimum of 9 months and often at least 2years of treatment before remission.In my case 12years on I am in the middle of my fourth major flare up-but may not be typical.Good luck
  • Posted

Hi Annie,

Sorry to hear you are in pain.

I think it depends on the Dr. I am in the US and was started on 20 mg. I felt great within a few days, no pain at all, except a frozen shoulder. This went away after doing physical therapy. That was December 2013. Am on 5.5 alternating with 5 and still feel good.

I think the correct dose is the one that controls the symptoms. 

That Drs don't have a clue is an understatement. I spent 4 months trying to find a Dr who could help me: Internist (several visits and bloodwork), 2 Orthopedists (several visits), 1 rheumy, who misdiagnosed me after performing all kinds of blood tests. Since the meds he prescribed did not work, I kept looking for a different Rheumatologist and finally found someone who helped me.

Maybe you can ask your Dr to give you more Prednisone to see if a larger doses helps.

All the best,

Paula

• Posted

Hi Annie- I'm from the U.S. And that is not what they do in U.S.! I was put on 20 mg to start and this is the norm. Do not remember the gradual reduction...those experts here will fill you in, as this forum is a godsend to those of us suffering from this annoying disease. I wonder if you have. rheumatologist ofr this is a GP tending to you. Get a Rheumi or if this is one - get a new one! If this is his knowledge of PMR than you are in for a bumpy ride! God luck and I hope this is a very short ride!
  • Posted

I was started on 15 mg and it was a miracle - truly.  However my doctor's recommended reduction has proven to be far too rapid and now I have to deal with that mistake.  So just a heads up - once you find a dosage that controls your symptoms, don't be scared into trying to come off the steroids too quickly.  You will only end up having to increase your dose again when the symptoms flare up.  There are ways to control possible side effects.  In my case I'm pretty healthy other than this disease, so I have been taking lots of walks, doing my physio exercises, eating as healthfully as I can, and now trying to restrain myself a bit and get lots of rest.  Because that is the other thing, when you feel better after being in pain for so long it is just so great to be able to do a lot of things, one does tend to overdo it!  All the best.
  • Posted

PS I'm in Canada.  All the good info I've found on the Internet originates in the UK.
    • Posted

Hi Anhaga,

where in Canada are you located?  I was just saying to Joanne, who is from Ontario, that we should start a discussion to find people that may live close to us so we could arrange to meet.

Hugs, Diana🌸

• Posted

I've just read an article in the People's Friend about Nova Scotia! I've been to Ontario plus years ago - going to the west coast end next summer all being well. NS looks gorgeous!
    • Posted

Nova Scotia is a beautiful province.  My mother was born there and lived in Spring Hill Junction before going to Montreal to study nursing. My father was from Charlo, New Brunswick.  When they married they moved to Vancouver. My husband is from PEI.    I've never met a maritimer that I didn't like😊.  

We visited a few years ago and stuffed ourselves with lobster and sea food chowder.  My mouth waters just thinking about it.

hugs,  Diana🌸

• Posted

Eileen, it truly is lovely there and the people are very warm and friendly.  I hope you can take some time to visit.

If you're ever on the west coast I'd be happy to show you the sites.  

Have had a couple of great days in Trastevere. What a great area!  Went to the Vatican today and to the colosseum tomorrow.  Getting pretty tired so will take it easy for a couple of days in the Tuscan hills after that. 

Hugs,  Diana🌸

• Posted

I'm waving to you from Innsbruck this morning - where it is chucking it down and 15C. Yesterday at home was 28C so it's a bit of a change!

Tuscany is not meant to suffer from this cold front so enjoy it! I though t we might be heading that way next week - but Lake Garda appears to be going back to normal on Monday. Phew!!

• Posted

Hi,

Believe it or not, I was put on 60 mg per day by my US doctor.  I don't think I've ever met anyone that was put on that high a dose (unless they had GCA), but within 24 hours I felt like a normal human being -- almost totally symptom free.

I quickly weaned myself down to 15 mg per day -- I forget how long it look.  I've been following the very slow reduction scheme that others are on and now I'm down to 8 mg per day.

I am still achy, especially in the morning.  But the achiness has not increased as my dosage has decreased.  I will continue the slow reduction scheme as suggested here because it works.

It also seems that the UK has some very standardized ways of handling almost everything, while we here in the USA do not.  I see both advantages and disadvantages of the standardizations.  First, there are always exceptions.  Secondly, sometimes the standardized ways are not good enough.  But in the case of PMR, it seems that the UK has standardized on a very effective way of dealing with this condition.

My doctor has been great in that he's willing to LISTEN to me as I share what I've learned here on the forum.  He even frequents the forum himself.  

It might be worth a shot to mention this forum to your doctor.  He's roll his eyes until he actually visits this site.  Any doctor who does not appreciate this site (not just this forum but the whole site) is not worth seeing in my opinion.

All the best,

• Posted

I was started at 50mg daily - the higher dose does seem to be out of the norm!

• Posted

Hello anniecurd, the normal treatment plan in England is 6weeks 15mgs, 6 weeks 12.5, then anything up to a year at 10mgs. From 10mgs many of us on this site then follow the dead slow and almost stop reduction method, but you have a long time before you get the there.

when we are first diagnosed with PMR very often many of us have been suffering the pains and stiffness of PMR for months so we are given 15mgs and kept on that amount because that 15mgs has a lot of work to do, and so that's why it is important to stay on that amount for 6 weeks. Not only must it round up all the existing inflamation but it then has to keep it under control, a hard and very important job. All the other doses are used simply to keep whatever inflamation is left under control. 

In my opinion 10mgs was not enough of a dose for you and so it is only controlling most of your pain but not it all. I would up my dose to 15mgs and stay there for at least 1 month, then reduce as above. Look up the Bristol PMR plan. This plan and information was written by experts in this field and this method us classed as gold star streatment.

the reason why many of us then adopt the dead slow and almost stop method is because as we go through the lower doses a straight reduction of 1mgs is simply too big a reduction and there is the potential of a flare, which is something we all try to avoid.

you know when you are on the correct dose when you do not experience a flare, yes it's as hit and miss as that, so that again is reason why it's important at the lower doses (10mgs) to reduce by only .5, as little doses are not as severe on our bodies than a whole mg.

our PMR journey will be a long one and often anxious one so it is important that we approach this with all the info we can and unfortunately even in England I'm am shocked by patients who visit this forum with their tales of totally inappropriate information and a less than useless care plan given to them by their consultants! All the best, regards, tina

• Posted

My Primary doc first sent me to a rheumatologist who started me on

l0mg.  Can't remember why but went back to my Primary guy and he

immediately put me on 20mg which I think is the usual beginning dose.

I had sed rate done every 3-4 weeks and actually got down to 4mg

before sciatica attack knocked me on my butt and sed shot back

to 60.  If l0mg is not working you need to tell him and ask for

at least 20mg to start........you'll know when the pain is gone that

20 is correct dosage to begn.  BTW  I'm in the U.S.

And yes this forum is great for info.....

• Posted

Interested to hear that you have sciatica.  I do too, and assume it is caused by deteriorated (osteoarthristis) in one vertabra in back.  But your post makes it sound like even this could be related to PMR symptoms.  When I started at 15 mg all my aches and pains went away, including what I believe had been osteoarthritis.  The sciatica came back soon after I started reduction, not sure what level, might have been 13 or so.  Do you think I should have taken that as a sign to slow down the reduction?  My doctor had said 1 mg per week, but I have learned the hard way this is too fast.
    • Posted

Hello anhaga, remember whilst on the higher doses of preds symptoms from other conditions are often masked. However, that in itself is not reason enough to stay on any dose for longer than necessary as there may be other drugs that your consultant may want you to take that may be more appropriate for that other condition. Please also read the Bristol PMR plan, it is the gold star treatment plan for PMR, although as already stated many of us then switch to the dead slow and almost stop reduction method as we find that reduction plan more sympathetic for our condition. Regards, tina
    • Posted

I'm not sure sciatica is related to PMR.   I did two rounds of

physical therapy and the exercises they gave me for the

sciatica helped a lot.  Having said that I still feel it in my

butt but not bad.  I think sciatica is caused by sciatic nerve

getting pinched and the pain was terrible.  Way worse than

anything PMR has given me.  Yes, I think 1 mg a week is too

much.   If I ever get to l0mg again I'll do the .5 like all the

knowledgable people on here suggest.

• Posted

Those of you who have sciatic pain - it can be caused by something called myofascial pain syndrome which causes spasmed back muscles which can trap or irritate the sciatic nerve leading to referred pain. It is often found alongside PMR - it is caused by the same inflammatory substances called cytokines but they are localised in trigger points on either side of the spine in the shoulders, the mid back level with the ribs and in the lower back, where a baby's dimples are.

Many patients on the forums are reporting relief from a technique called Bowen therapy or Bowtech, It is a very gentle therapy so is perfectly safe to use in PMR and does not require a physician's referral - you just have to pay for it. if it is going to help you will know within 3 sessions - no improvement and it isn't worth pursuing at this stage. It is available in the US as well as the UK. It kept me going for 5 years with untreated PMR - it doesn't do anything for the PMR as such but it does deal with some of the add-ons and it often allows you to manage with a lower dose of pred.

Look around the forums for reports from patients who have tried it and think it is very helpful.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.