amitryipline and trying to concieve

Posted , 4 users are following.

hi all . so was at my gp yesterday who prescribed my a month course of amitryipline to try and break the cycle of a chroinc headache i have had for the last few months.... as i am trying to concieve she told me that i would have to stop until off the meds which is fine but from reading and researching im getting the impression that these types of meds take around a month to actually work so am i wasting my time if i will need to come off them before really giving them a chance to work...... do i just need to bare the headaches and migraine until after i have another baby ( if lucky enough).... so confused, waitning on another appointment with neurologist but that could take a while as the waiting list here in ireland is roughly 2 yrs +.... any advice

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Ciara, not sure what to advice amitryipline, did not work for me, I suffer from Migraines every day, but when I was pregnant, my headaches migraines were non existent .

Hope this slightly helps

• Posted

I was perscribed amitryiptaline for fybromyalgia pains and insomnia years before i even started getting migraines and it didnt help me at all when the migraines started. The side effects are extremely similar to Topomax (not sure if that is something that you have tried in the past so thought it may be relevant) which also didn't help the migraines and had terrible, terrible side effects. Tzanidine helped a bit with the frequency, but not the severity. Immitrix is powerful but can only be taken up to 4 times a month and has it's own brand of side effect. Can I ask if this is the first thing you have been perscribed for the chronic headaches because it doesn't seem like the ideal go to in my opinion. Considering the wait for a neurologist, have you considered getting x rays of your neck done to see if there is a simpler explanation? I ask that wihtout knowing if you have a long history of headaches though.
    • Posted

hi manda.

yes i have had a neck xray. to date i have had a neck xray, neck mri, brain mri, brain ct scan, chest xrays, every type of blood test imaginable. all clear except for a bulging disc in my c5/c6 neck area...... the consultants said at the time that this was not impinging on any nerves and there fore were not contributing to the numbness and headaches i was suffering with..... at that time the headaches were not even that bad. as an update the daily headaches did ease off with the amitrypline , in the month i had 3 bad headaches which was a huge improvement to the daily ones....

• Posted

Ciara, I think them saying the c5/c6 was not impinging sounds a bit suspect to me. However, the fact that you went from daily headaches to 3 in a month is FANTASTIC!!! That does imply that it is neurological so perhaps when you get in to see a neurologist you can eventually get a daily migraine preventative that has less side effects.
  • Posted

Hi Ciara, I have suffered migraines for past ten years but very bad for the past two years. Last year and this year I have had up to four a week. I have tried various drugs, the latest nortriptaline which is similar to amitryptiline. I have just taken a month to get myself off them because they weren't working and made me feel rotten alongside another drug I take for rheumatoid arthritis. I take zolmitriplan to treat a migraine once it starts but a month ago I bought a titanium magnetic bracelet which I don't love the look of and it was £95 but I have to say it has really reduced the amount and the intensity of my migraines. The company is in Torquay and you can order over the phone - I think it would be worth a try. Once on don't take it off. The shop were very helpful. Also reflexology would be a very good therapy to have. Wishing you all the very best.  Lisa

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed product/company names as we do not allow repeated posting of these in the forums. If users wish to exchange these details please use the Private Message service.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.