Astigmatism - dizzyness ?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello,

my name is Chris and I am new her to this forum.

​I hope to get some good advice or some info exchange from people with similar issues.

I have issues with my glasses since I got diagnosed with astigmatism.

I wear glasses for 32 years - 27 years of that time I lived in Germany and I never got diagnosed with astigmatism and never, ever had any issues with my glasses. I could exchange different pairs and would adjust within minutes or even seconds.

Now I live in Canada and got diagnosed with astigmatism ...

I have 4 pairs of glasses (same prescription) and when I go from my standard glasses to sunglasses, it takes hours to adjust ... and still feels weird.

Getting dizzy from time to time, too ...

My eye-doctor says, everything is okay and the prescription is correct.

​I went to different doctors already ... and had even weirder prescriptions.

I kinda doubt, that I have astigmatism and my glasses try to adjust something, that is not there - just guessing.

Can someone give me some good advice please?

Thanks

Chris

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Do you have the prescription you were given in Germany? If you do and it is vastly different to the present one go back to your optician and ask for it to be explained. Did they look at your German lenses or make any comment on their prescription?
    • Posted

Hello Martina,

Thank you for your reply.

I showed the German prescription to the eye doctor (one of them) ...

He just said, that eyes change over the years and that he can only go by his measurements ....

Very frustrating.

I am just wondering, if the measurement methodes in Europe are different to the ones are used here in North America?

Chris

• Posted

Does anyone on this forum get to feeling a lightheaded Ness in the back of your head when wearing your glasses,so bad that it feels like your confused and going to pass out.And when you take them off it takes an hour to stop.
    • Posted

If you are wearing new glasses its your eyes adjusting to new lenses,but if these are glasses over 2 years old it may mean you need new lenses.

If the glasses are fairly new and this has happened since you had them it may mean they need adjusting.

• Posted

What was the time span between the German eye test and the one in  Canada?  If several years [over 2/3] then yes it is possible for eyes to change.   The eye tests in the Western world are pretty much the same,Germany and Canada being modern up to date countries. Are you wearing varifocals? or just single presciption lenses?      Have you read my private message to you? May be helpful. 
  • Posted

Hi Marina,

​yes, I got your message ... did some tests and ... NO sign of astigmatism,

but the doctors probably sees more ...

​There have been 2 years between the prescriptions, but, like I said,

​I never ever had issues with my German prescriptions (NO astigmatism) ...

with the Canadian I still have (WITH astigmatism-correction).

​I was thinking about tense muscles in the neck as well as a reason for the dizzyness. Might be a factor, but is probably NOT the reason for the issues with different pairs of glasses.

​Do not see the point of more running around town (have talked to 5 doctors already) and doing vision-tests all over.

​Might talk to my eye doctor (again) about the vision issues I have.

​Thanks for your support so far. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.