Sjogrens and Hormone Replacement Therapy

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi Everyone.

Has anyone heard that HRT increases SS symptoms? I'm on a HRT in the form of a low does patch. I've been experiencing dry/irritated eyes and read that HRT can make your eyes dryer in addition to the other risks associated w/SS.

Please let me know. Thank you.

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi Tracy!

I am not familiar with the side effects of HRT that contribute to SS symptoms. I was on a low dose of Premarin when I was diagnosed with SS and my doctor encouraged me to stop taking it because of the risks associated with Lymphoma. I did stop taking it and suffered through the Hot Flashes etc. but I had more peace of mind. Feel better,

Sally

• Posted

Hi Sally - thank you. I've been thinking about going off of it so that helps.
  • Posted

I think this will depend on what other problems you might have. I was advised against HRT as I am hypermobile. The additional hormones would have made my hypermobile joints even worse. To add to this my sicca symptoms started as a very early age, by 20 if Herik had seen me he would have diagnosed Sjögren's! However I think I have Lupus so perhaps that is why. Regarding your ocular problems I think this is something you need to discuss with your GP. I know the with both SS and Lupus I had pain just before my periods, complicated by the fact that I had PCOS! So if you have either PCOS or Psoriasis again it might be a good thing to discuss this with your GP. The problem with all connective tissue diseases it just that, they affect each of us in a different way. So in my FB group British Sjögren's even with eye drops, some find one brand works while others say they can't tolerate them. I have just looked this up in The Sjögren's Book and again it isn't very helpful. It mentions HRT but this hasn't been updated since 2010. I think the consensus of option is try it but on as lower dose as possible or on an estrogen only one! Sorry not very helpful, I would advise to see your GP
    • Posted

Thank  you, Pam. It's so true that SS affects us all so differently.
  • Posted

I would never use hrt as research has linked to cancer I have

used a complete herbal appoach I am in full blowen menopause I use,, ,,,,,, Harmony menopause,,,,,,,, it has been very help full I

have had SS for more than 21 years and now I am 52 I take 2 tab and

probably have on average 1 to 2 hot flushes a day I take the tabs at night so have no hot flushes during the night. I do not take any medication for SS at all I think the medication everyone is on gives them more side effects and makes there SS worse

• Posted

Hi Christine - I'll check out Harmony. I appreciate the tip. 

The last time I went off of HRT my SS symptoms got worse. I'll gradually go off. 

• Posted

HI Christine - I just ordered Harmony and plan to go off of HRT. Thanks, again.
  • Posted

Hi Tracy, I was just reading up on the topic of hormone influences on SS and found that yes, apparently HRT has a negative effect. Adrogens (male hormones) are thought to have a positive effect.
    • Posted

Certainly if you have EDS or PCOS as a young woman I would avoid HRT! 
    • Posted

Hi Shira - thank you for the information. (and Sorry for my late response)
    • Posted

I do not agree with this at all. It is thought that a lack of estrogen causes dry eye syndrome and start SS. Moisture increases with HRT. My anxiety increased with a lack of estrogen and made SS worse.

• Posted

Hi everyone on this thread.... 

I hope this helps ....everybody is an individual ...what works for one may not for aanother.... Also you can change ,and what may work for you once may not after a while... So from experience it is indeed trial and error... If hurt works for shoulder fine ... If it doesn't ,fine.... We all different , and need to keep a balance in our body , ... So best Not to stress... And do what suits us....trial and error 

• Posted

Hello. Jintili (oral med) takes care of a lot of painful vaginal dryness. It works within the first few days. At first I was afraid to take it and went on and off of it twice. My doctor keeps insisting that he is the doctor and that I need to let him do his job--that he prescribed it because there is no risk. The creams estrogen that you insert can cause tremendous female cramping and other pain. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.