I had my bunion op 2 weeks ago

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi I am new to this but needed some advice please .

I had my bunion op 2 weeks ago and although the pain has now settled I am suffering with my foot being sooooo itchy .

I am due to have my stitches removed tomorrow so I'm hoping it will help .

I also wanted to ask if anyone else had no bandage after leaving the hospital as I only had strips of plaster on my foot ?

1 like, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Had a soft cast when I left the hospita,l what's what kind of doctor did you have? and what kind of surgery did you have? but all doctors are different, bring all the questions that you have for the doctor to your appointment tomorrow that's what I did
  • Posted

Hello Susan. Is the whole foot itching or just the scar area? If it's the scar area it's part of the healing process. Even once the stitches have been removed it may itch a little ...mine did.

i am now 8 weeks post op. The bandage came off at 4 weeks.. Can,t get into normal shoes  although I did buy a pair of flats  a size bigger for a wedding  my foot still swells. I can,t wait for the day that I can.

I had a very large bandage when I left hospital..... I looked as though I had been mummified😀😀😀 Here is a photo to make you smile. Wishing you a speedy recovery.xxx

• Posted

Carol I am also 8 weeks post op, shoes I believe are out if the Question, I just bought a pair of new balance mens wide width, 2 sizes larger, and, wide width, its a long process, I am usually wear womans regular medium, unless you can wear flats wide width, all the best
    • Posted

Thanks for your replies

Yeah think your right about it being itchy hope its the healing process.

I have just done as doc asked tea toast toilet until i have my stitches out .

Ive not moved my toes at all im to scared lol.

• Posted

Hello Mary, How are you doing?

My foot is still swollen and gets hot. I do the hot then cold water therapy to reduce the swelling. Not sure it's actually doing anything but it feels nice!! I,ve been told that I am walking on the side of my foot but must walk through the big toe which I am finding difficult to do and I,m still limping😟.

Have also returned to the gym but am taking things very carefully. The treadmill is out of the question. I,m ok on the bike so I,m happy that I can do something. It helps me mentally too to be back at the gym. 

Hope you are progressing well.xxx

• Posted

Susan I was like you in the beginning.....too frightened to do anything in case I did more harm than good.It's still early days for you. It does become easier.

Good luck for tomorrow.xx

• Posted

Not heard of hot and cold therapy but yes as you say its early days for me just cant wait to get my stitches out as i can sort of feel them pulling .

im also waiting for my appointment with the physio which im dreading moan moan moan ha ha

• Posted

First PT appointment gave me some pain, nerve pain because they stretch your toes, so have the painkiller, advil ready just in case, but it may not happen, just im case, but now, I actually love PT cause I know its helping me get better, I do all my exercises every day, it is so important towards our healing, its almost like having a personal trainer, xoxoxo good luck!
    • Posted

Thankyou Carol, good luck, the bike is the best and stretches, I go to physical Therapy I am still in camboot, but I will be bringing those boat sneakers haha to physical therapy tomarrow, and it will be the ,first time I am walking in sneakers, at appt, so scared, let you guys know how it goes xoxo
    • Posted

hi mary im on day 17 since having a lapidus and recently got stitches out and am still in a surgical boot and have been told to start doing big toe stretches and setting my foot down and various excercises. the day after my dr appt where my big toe was stretched i had INTENSE pain! is that normal? most of the pain has been under my foot by my heel and mid foot and outer side of ankle. i cannot keep my heel flat in my boot it is giving me pain and driving me nuts. my foot doesnt stay 90 degrees for some reason. will this eventaully pass with PT? my next dr appt is my 6 week mark where i will start shifting weight but im nervous how if i cant bend my foot right.i see PT next week for consoltation and range of motion advice.
    • Posted

Yes I had that problem the first time after I saw Pt, it was the first time my toes were touched since surgury, after that I felt the pain somewhat but not the same as the first night which was soo bad, Pt said it was just my nerves waking up, and now I just feel a little pins and needles but it does get better, yes! I try to stretch my toes everyday and I do all the exercises the PT printed out, its the way to get better, keep up with the PT, its a process everyday your getting better,
    • Posted

Hello Nemo, From reading the other posts on this site it is normal to experience some pain whilst doing the toe excercises . I,m 9 weeks post op and for  me the pain is all over the foot not just where the surgery was. In fact I have no pain by the bunion area. My pain... More discomfort or ache than pain is around my ankle. I hope this will get better soon because it causes me to limp!

Wishing you a speedy recovery.x

• Posted

Hi Carole, how are you doing? I just started walking in sneakers, I am only allowed 2 sessions of 10 min. A day with one crutch, feels a little wierd, but I feel like im progressing, I am In Physical Therapy 2x a week, I feel like that helps, havent been to the gym but I do exercises at home, how is the gym going?? I am just doing a cold pack at night, hope you are progressing well! Xoxo
    • Posted

Hello Mary, glad to hear your progressing nicely.... It's a long slow process.

Today I managed to go on the cross trainer at the gym and walk very slowly on the treadmill so I too am progressing. I do find my foot aches particularly round my  ankle.My foot still swells and I still have a limp. Can,t help thinking I,m going to be left with a limp!! Must remain positive😀😀xxx

• Posted

Yes Susan I too had just the sterile strip but be warned.  With my first foot it was a problem as the boot cast rubbed on my foot and I had to attend hospital as an emergency as my scar area was skinning.  I was attended by e top consultant who said to always wear a ski type thick sock as well, so this did not happen.  With second foot op I always wore a thick sock and no problems this time.
    • Posted

i have been in a compression sock and boot only and that seems to help with swelling as well and does not hurt scar

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.