Typing after Frozen Shoulder Surgery???

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello everyone!  I have learned so much from this discussion forum!! I just found out that I will be needing surgery for my frozen shoulder. I am not in as much pain as most of you thankfully but do have the pain and the trouble sleeping, range of motion problems, etc.  I have an interesting question for all of you. I am an online college professor and spend a large part of my day typing, so my question to you is following the surgery, how difficult do you think it will be for me to type?  Will I be in too much pain to type the next day or the next week?  What do you think???  Thank you so much for your response.  Leslie

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Hi Leslie, As long as your desk etc are set up well there shouldn't be any problem with typing.  I found that my shoulder did ache after a couple of hours but the surgery isn't going to stop you.  Just plan to take it a little easier for a few weeks and not work so hard.
    • Posted

Thanks for getting back to me on that. How was your recovery in general?  Painful?  When were you able to go back to work? Did you need painkillers? AND how do you feel now?  As good as new??
    • Posted

Hi,  I was off work for 6 weeks in total. A long commute I have to drive) I was not given any strong painkillers just paracetamol and they were fine for me.  I did get extremely tired after exercising for the first few weeks but that got easier.

I'll never get full mobility back but can now wash my hair, put up a shower curtain etc and that arm has very few aches and pains at all.

Unfortunately my other arm is now at the 'freezing' stage so I'm going through all the pains again and can't be entirely accurate on whether the neck and back pain would have stopped.  I feel they would have from the couple of weeks I had before the other shoulder started up.  

• Posted

Thank you for your response. It sounds like the surgery helped but it is a shame that your other arm is acting up. WIll you now be having surgery on the other shoulder??
    • Posted

The surgery really did help thank you.  Long way to go yet before surgery, if I'll need it.  Had a cortizone injection on Wednesday so we'll see if I'm lucky and that has an effect.  Hopefully that combined with physio will halt it.  I'm seeing the consultant surgeon in November to check on the operated shoulder so we'll discuss it then if needs be.
  • Posted

Hi there. I had this operation. I was back at work driving HGVs two days later. The day after the op my arm was a bit bit weak but still functioned. Some weeks on I am still suffering arm pain, but I think this is just muscle related. Nothing like the gut wrenching pain pre op. I have a reasonable range of movement and things are gradually inproving. The chap that did my op said that whilst not everyone is instantly cured, we are put a lot further down the road and closer to the finishing line. This makes sense going on my experience. I am glad I had the op.
    • Posted

Thanks for your repy!! I am glad to hear that you were back at work so fast. I am aware that the entire recuperation process does take time but glad that you feel better than before. It is such a weird ailment to have this frozen shoulder!! No one understands unless you have it yourself!!  Feel better fast!!  Leslie
    • Posted

You are so right, unless you have had fs you won't have any idea of the pain . I saw the consultant today and he was really pleased with my progress. It's about six weeks since the op. I've worked quite hard on the exercises and I have pretty much sorted the range of movement. A couple of months to go. The op is quick and easy. I can barely see the scars. No problem for me as a man but it may be nice for ladies to know. If I may suggest a couple of things. The guy who sorted my shoulder has a website with masses of useful information. Search for the London upper limb unit. Secondly after your op, bite the bullet and move your arm as much as you can. I watched loads of utube videos and one American surgeon showed three moves. Stop, where you put your hand out to the side. Teacher where you put your hand up, and handcuffed where your hand goes up your back. Just go for it. Good luck

I hope that it goes well

• Posted

Yes the scars are tiny. The one on the back of my shoulder has almost disappeared smile  Nothing to worry about there.  I did get told off by my physio for overdoing the exercises though as he said it could do more harm than good, so don't go too mad.  Go at your own pace, if it aches a lot then ease off slightly, but do keep up with them they really do help.  I'm signed off physio now and just do them on my own.
    • Posted

Oh I will do exactly what the physio tells me to do. I won't overdo it.  I did really well in the spring with just one steroid shot and lots of physio but improvement lasted only a few months so now I need the surgery. Oh well - that's fine. I just want it fixed!!
  • Posted

Hi Leslie,

I had the surgery October 2014, followed by double steroid injection guided by xray in Jan 2015. As a secretary typing all day and using the mouses a great deal  has been diffficult at times. Having regular breaks helps, but the most painfull part is the constant use of the mouse. Using the midddle finger is painful even now as it irritaes a nerve as you may have experienced. I am still very sore in the shoulder at the point where a seam of a shirt would be.  I am not sure if this is because of my job or if there is still a problem I will find out on Monday. I have a new key board that has a ball in the middle to operate the mouse. Also have been given an orthoepaedic chair to help with posture and headsets for my phone. Getting a good work station is vital. I would definitely leave the typing until at least two weeks post surgery for things to settle down. 

• Posted

HI Jay, It sounds like you had and have a really hard time with your frozen shoulder.  Did you have these problems with typing and your mouse before your surgery?
  • Posted

Hi Leslie, My  shoulder problems resulted from a team building day. Temping bowling that seemed to go on forever. My houlder  was perfect before, but the next day the pain was beyond belief. Trapped nerve in neck and then the shoulder problems esculated. Typing and using a mouse before all of this was not a problem. My shoulder was perfect up until  the team build. See what consultant says tomorrow... 4th Oct. Give the shoulder rest after surgery is my advice. 

• Posted

Boy that's a shame! I don't even know what caused by Frozen Shoulder.  Yes I will rest it but I do have to type a little as my students will want responses as they always do. But I will try to rest as much as I am able.  How long did you have to wait for your surgery once you and your doctor decided you needed the operation?
  • Posted

My Gp was of no help except stronger pain relief after 8 weeks of agony. I was refused an MRi scan due to the cost. He told me to wait another 4 weeks and then would consider it. During the onset of this I was told about an osteo,at £50.00 per half hour, who was amazing, and then he refered me on to the Consultant who did the spinal injecton for trapped nerve. He then refered me on to the conusltant who operated on me  within a week. All my care has been through the private sector, luckily I have insurance, although Bupa are not that helpful.  If I had pursued with NHS I would probably been on a waiting list for the first year. Ist op Oct 2013 Arthroscopic, off work 4 weeks, followed by several  Stroid injecitons and hydrotherapy and osteo treatment.  2nd op,  Oct 2014 Adhesive Capsulitis off work 8 weeks. Since then physio and guided steroid injections. My pain is minimum but the should does not seem to be rotating in the joint properly and sometimes I have to force it to get what appears to be the right positon. Then the pain gets bad and the shoulder feels very tight like it is swollen and no room to manover properly. Best Wishes for your op. 
    • Posted

You have really been through the ringer as they say.  I hope you see some more improvement soon. It seems like you have had so many procedures that you should be as good as new now.  I am glad to hear that you have priviate insurance as I know the wait can be ridiculous with the NHS over there. I am in the states where you better have health insurance or else!! And I do so I am fine. Actually most people do have health insurance here. But I do hope that you feel better soon. It is a shame that you are still having problems. It is a shame to hear that this all happened from an episode of bowling!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.