Healthy Living

Posted , 18 users are following.

Does anyone else get fed up with this healthy living business (or am I alone)?

If you don't run, walk, cycle, etc etc every day all sorts of terrible things will happen to you (stroke, heart attack, siffness, depression, etc).

Food:  few carbs, no fat, no grains, no cream, etc.

I'm sure my mother never worried about these things.  Neither did my MIL (and she died when she was 96)!  Both as happy as sandboys.

I worry more about these things since PMR and life isn't as pleasant.  I've never been really overweight or had many illnesses - so why can't I just forget about 'healthy living'?

C. 😏😏

0 likes, 129 replies

129 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I agree!! I totally agree!! I'm so so so fed up with trying to eat healthily since PMR diagnosis but yet still managed to gain 2 stone in weight and look like a puffed up frog!!!! My Nana died this year at 107 years old and never ever worried about anything remotely healthy!!!!

your totally fed up!! Xx

• Posted

I know what you mean. I have seen people including relatives live to a ripe old age doing little exercise, eating what they like.....little veg or fruit and overweight. I have also seen others do all the right things and die fairly young. Almost every week brings a new theory backed up by stats which are only as good as the person who takes them or interprets them and one can make stats say anything you want them to. I don't know the answer except enjoy each day. Sometimes it's the small things which give pleasure.
  • Posted

Stress is caused by worry. Growing up we had very little food and fewer luxuries . A luxury then was toast laden with beef dripping!

I would give anything to run or walk a mile a day or ride my bike but PMR has robbed. Me of these things. However I would be doing it for FUN not health.

• Posted

Oh yes! Totally agree. And how many times have they told us "don't eat this or that don't do this or that" and then several years later they say "oh sorry we were wrong you'd best go back to what you did before." The food industry in particular drive me mad. Stess, guilt and consuming chemicals in our food chain are far more harmful than eating a bit of fresh double cream. Naturally if you are having issues with a food group or type of exercise you will avoid it at all costs but otherwise a little bit of everything in moderation doesn't go wrong. Now where did I put that chocolate bar??
    • Posted

Love that last bit, Karen. I'm not long back from collecting the paper and I got a voucher yesterday for a free chocolate bars which I collected today.😀 I was doing so well ...for 2 days. I gave half to my husband who was gardening......the rest is in my big tummy! Oops. Halo 😇😇 has slipped and choked me.
    • Posted

lol Smiling is such good therapy! A little of what you crave does you good. Halos make very nice neck adornment and you're already growing a new one for sharing. I am very bad, I didn't share mine! It wasn't even mine it was Hubbys and milk choccy at that! I've run out of my fav dark one.
    • Posted

Hi Erika,

You obviously survived your move. Hope all went well and you are settled and happy.

Did you know about the PMR support group in the US. Might be good for you if they have other members close by. I think you did find someone near you at one point. Did you ever meet?

Take care.

Diana

• Posted

It is so true that smiling is great therapy. I often laugh out loud when reading some of the posts and my hubby thinks I've totally lost itsmile

The expressions used in the UK are so great. They remind me of my sweet little Grandma and make me smile.

• Posted

How lucky we are that memories can bring such joy. It's so easy to become totally wrapped up in our illness when it demands so much of our attention. Gotta have a sense of humour. 
  • Posted

I may keep my carbs, especially sugar, to an absolute minimum - but I certainly don't bother about fat! From the start I adjudged the fat/cholesterol story to be just that - a story. It simply didn't fit with the physiology/biochemistry I'd been taught. Once a single error-ridden paper was published the American food industry got in on the low-fat food business and found it could make a LOT of money cheaply and have opposed any research that showed otherwise - we've been lied to for a long time. Now it is beginning to emerge but the old versions die hard.

The exercise bit is right though - it has a very beneficial effect on your mitochondria which are the power-stations for your cells. That alone will make a big difference to our long term health.

Your MIL and Nana respectively obviously had very good genes to live as long as they did! But if you look back to your mother's generation they were generally nothing like as fit as we are - my mother at 63 was an elderly lady with early cardiac problems. Those who stuck to their wartime style diet did remain fitter than the ones who adopted the increasingly processed rubbish. My MIL "cooked" herself a meat and veg meal every day - I'd done the stewed steak for her and frozen it in portions (rump steak cooked for 4 hours under her instructions!) and the veg were frozen but when she had chicken she did it from scratch - she died at 84.

They should stop going on about it though - because every week another contradictory story is in the media, people become confused and switch off altogether. However - there is utter ignorance about food and nutrition these days and it would be a good idea to overhaul good old "Domestic Science" and teach young people about proper food and not the drivel they watch on TV cookery programmes that they all are glued to but can't manage a simple meal that doesn't come out of a freezer pack! 

• Posted

PS - with you all the way Karen - just picked up 2 bars of Lindt's dark chocolate with chili yesterday...
    • Posted

I got my Lindts ready for tonight, no chilli, I don't like chilli unless it is sweet chilli.

Off to make my crab apple jelly, from my own tree, no pesticides, no spraying it just gets on with it and I have  picked 10 lb and there is more to come. smile

• Posted

I cook from scratch and have lost a little weight by dropping the carbs but it is hard, though getting easier. I think it'll be more difficult as the days get colder. Toast has such an appealing and comforting smell. I grew up with full cream everything, cod liver oil etc. but not a lot of sugar in the diet. That was a treat. In fact sugar was still on ration. Perhaps that's what we need again! No government would take that one on board but they could. If they can ration petrol in times of crisis then why not sugar. The country is in  the middle of a health crisis due to too much sugar in the diet. That could, perhaps, save the NHS!
    • Posted

Eileen.  Do you know if there is another option other than taking statins?

the cholesterol thing is a mystery to me.  My husbands Dr. Said you could eat rocks but if you're genetically wired to high cholesterol it won't affect your readings.  

• Posted

Couldn't agree more - the wartime diet had everything that was needed for a healthy diet and that was the point. The portions were what we NEEDED not the enormous portions we get now that have become normalised - so that people are probably eating twice the calories they need. David and I often share a plate or take half home for tomorrow! Too many calories means weight gain if you don't burn them off - and then we did the washing/cooking/cleaning without any servants. And before anyone gets stroppy - what are washing machines, dishwashers, food processors and vacuum cleaners but servants?

I love toast (especially done on the fire and I have one occasionally) but am allergic to wheat so the itch reminds me why I don't eat it more!

• Posted

Ditto with sharing a plate.  However, we are too embarrassed to ask for one meal and two plates so I take a plastic bag with me everywhere and do it secretly.  What a coward!
    • Posted

He's right. Cholesterol is made in the liver and is a base ingredient of many hormones so essential for life. Too low a cholesterol level is actually almost as bad for you as a very high one. Despite the "don't eat eggs" story you cannot influence your cholesterol level very greatly by not eating cholesterol containing foods - the liver will just make more. And a couple of years ago there were some occasional articles in the media about how it was now fine to go to work on an egg again. Not the front page size of the originals though of course.

If you have something called congenital hypercholesteraemia your liver will make massive amounts of cholesterol - and these people do tend to die very young of heart problems. But the high cholesterol is probably not the cause but the symptom. 

You can reduce cholesterol better by reducing carbs...

Visitors arrive - must go for now!

• Posted

I admire you greatly being able to cope with the carbs where you live. Initially I thought oh yes that's ok as I recall the abundance of fresh unadulterated veg/salads and meat and lush dishes like Melazane Parmigiana I enjoyed out there for many years. And then I recalled the wonderful bread and pasta and of course all those pastries. Jeez my hunger has just spiked! Sorry!
    • Posted

Read the Great Cholesterol Con. It is by a Scottish GP. Really opens your eyes to the whole cholesterol story.
    • Posted

If you have Lidl/Aldi nearby, choc with chilli or without...excellent, and half the price!.......
    • Posted

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately it doesn't come as an ebook and I don't know if I can trust it will arrive here in Mexico. May have to wait till j get home.

I'm tempted to have my blood work done here and reduce my dose to see what happens. I've heard it causes muscle pain and it may be that is the cause of some of the symptoms we think are PMR.

Everything is so "maybe" with this disorder It s frustrating.

• Posted

If you reduce really slowly you should be able to reduce or cut out even, if you are lucky, any side effects from reducing. The trouble is PMR controls you rather than the other way round I find. Enjoy Mexico, I spent a while in Mexico City working there. 
    • Posted

When the food makers in the U.S. came out with everything

"fat-free" and low fat" Americans got fatter than ever.....I used to have

cholesterol a littler higher than doc wanted.  Well, statins

make me feel really awful so quit taking them.  I started making

just a few changes.....baked potato instead of fries, vegs instead

of anything white,...just had blood done and and my usual

reading of 200-225 went down to l61 with everything well within

range except triglycerides a little high.  As for sharing a plate.

My hubby and I do it a lot and don't really care what the

waiter or owner thinks.....hubby tips on what price would be

for two full dinners.  Let's face it, restarants give us way too

much food to begin with and as seniors we can't eat so much

anymore without being miserable....

• Posted

Yes. It's a very good price. I've just found some which I put in the fridge. 😀😀 I can't believe I forgot about it. My husband's been eating it.😭 Wish I hadn't shared that earlier freebie bar with him. I also found a squishy cucumber and a piece I'd wrapped in tinfoil.😳😳 I think I'll give up on the cucumber. I never really started on it.....was full of good intentions. It's too cold now. The weather has changed today. 
    • Posted

I believe in the US they are used to people sharing meals.  Our son and daughter-in-law have been to the States several times and even in their twenties were asked if the would like two plates (both are very slim).

I really find it hard to go into restaurants these days because the portions are sooooo large, and as soon as I see a full plate I lose my hunger (my husband does, too).  

• Posted

The trouble was everything was fat free and low fat, they forgot to tell us they were not sugar free! It seems saturated fat is now not such a baddy any more, it is sugar at the top of the hit list. I agree with you on statins. My father was on them and became like a zombie, his GP said he could go off them for a couple of weeks for a trial and he became the life and soul of the party. 
    • Posted

If we end up with leftovers I ask for a go box and take it home

for lunch the next day...   I think the American food industry

gives you a lot more so they can charge you a lot more.  Some

places have senior portions which is nice for us.  Some have

early bird dinners which are smaller and costs less.

• Posted

Guess I had a brain fog this a.m......the main reason my cholesterol

went down is because I pretty much quit eating red meat.  I do

have an occasional cheeseburger (so good!!)  I haven't had

a steak in years and really don't miss them.  I eat a little chicken

and fish.

• Posted

Had a best friends brother die very young of high cholesterol. My male friend already fit as a fiddle was also diagnosed with high cholesterol changed his diet lost more weight and it barely changed.

Me I eat the way I was raised, I use cream, cheese and butter and only like natural ingredients. I have porked on the beef over the past 4 years thanks to my husband and his love for sweets, bread and snacks. I am weak and cannot say no. Just before my pmr diagnosis we cut out our carbs and I eat 2-3 eggs for breakfast and my dr. says go for it.

It's been 3 weeks and we've lost 12 but you have to have a cheat day every now and then. I snacked on Brookside's crunchy clusters of dark choc. And berry medley.

my brother in law is a genetic scientists and your alll right what is good one day bad the next so my philosophy is try to stay away from preservatives and ssmaller portions as you mentioned.

• Posted

Thanks, maybe I'll use the DSNS method and see what happens.  It is inexpensive to have bloodwork done here so I may get a full work up done.  

We are in Merida in the Yucatan but hear Mexico City is a must visit. Maybe we'll get there this trip.   We love it here in Centro and it's a great escape from our gray, wet winters in Vancouver.

🌸

• Posted

And you live in Germany - here in northern Italy and Austria no-one ever has a problem about handing over an aluminium tray/foil or a pizza box - they often offer it. The UK is hopeless - but the US has done "doggy bags" for years and everyone knows it isn't for the dog! One restaurant in southern Germany told me they'd charge 1.50 for the use of a separate plate - that's fine, don't have my custom next time I'm here but in the meantime I'll have a side salad and take the meat from my husband's plate onto the salad plate. The cutlery was already on the table.
    • Posted

I think this is changing here in Perthshire as I have now been offered boxes on several occasions......some of it just  when having coffee / tea with scones etc as they told me they throw them out so better to make offer. No charge for the boxes!
    • Posted

Yup - it all goes straight in the bin so why not allow the customer to take it if they want. The only place I've been refused was on North Sea ferries where I asked for the rest of the gammon steak and was only told I couldn't have it when it had already been thrown away "Health and safety..." I was furious and flabbergasted - Health and safety doesn't come into it anywhere else in Europe.
    • Posted

Haha, we Brits at home (and on the seas) like to use H&S as a cop out when it's convenient.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.