Valerian Root, does it work?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I went cold Turkey to come off Tramadol after being on it for several years and now in my 5th week, I feel better in myself just knowing I am no longer an "addict" but there is still a way to go for me. The problem is I am still having trouble sleeping through the night and feel very tired during the day, just seem to have no energy at all any anything I do is such an effort. I read up on the benefits of Valerian root so have now got some which I am going to try. It is supposed to help with sleep along with other problems. Is there anyone out there that take this Natural product for the same reasons and does it work. 

Thanks to anyone who can advise me

Annie

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Melatonin the best way for natural sleep with antioxidant properties. I used it in big doses when running out of tramadol overseas.  It helped me get down to 75mg tramadol pd.  can be taken safely in bigger doses than 3mg.  I took 12-27mg. Valerian Can cause arrhythmia in some people. 
  • Posted

Your best bet is to go to your local health store, you candiscuss with them what you have done, they will recommend something for you. I think something so natural  as a health remedy is personal to each individual, so valerian and somethig else might be better for you
    • Posted

I feel anything is better than taking Tramadol. I have tried the Valerian Root for 3 days taking them at night. They have made no diference to my sleep so I' still awake most of the night but I actually feel better during they day. No so tired and irritable, not sure if it is just me wishful thinking or that they have helped there.....Now all I need is to find a way of getting a good nights sleep and I will feel 100% better than I did 6 weeks ago while taking the dreaded Tramadol.
    • Posted

Are/were you taking tramadol for pain or sleep.

If you want to get relaxed at bed-time try spritzing your pillows, duvet with lavender (use a quality natural oil in a container and water down).  If that is to girly try hops, think you can get them in health stores.  The trick is not to go to bed too stressed whether it be through pain or just everyday living.  Treat sleeplessness as a separate issue to anything else.  There are drug alternatives, which you really should discuss with your doctor.  I take a combination that work 90% of the time; if I wake in the night in pain, I am drowsy enough to wait for the pain to subside then drift back to sleep.  Not so much drugged in the morning as slightly sleepy, until that first of caffeine.  A good health stfore is a good place for natural, unless you are into doing your own concoctions.

• Posted

I am a 59 year young lady. I was taking Tramadol for pain. I had a knee replacement 18 months ago but it has gone horrible wrong so have been advised to have it done again. I found the tramadol was doing nothing for the pain but gave me a real high during the although my sleep was still poor.

I have tried so many things to help with my sleep after looking on Sleep Hygeine site. A lot of what what suggested I do anyway but there were a couple of things I hadn't tried. It doesn't matter what I do or don't do I just do not get a good nights sleep. I go off then wake about an hour later then seem to be awake on and of till morning.

taking Valerin root seems to be helping me during the dsy but not at night.......HELP

Annie from London

• Posted

Buy M E L A T O N I N.  It's the only natural non prescription way to sleep without tramadol. Take 4x 3mg then another 4 if nothing happens in a couple of hours.  They are antioxidant and do good.  I came off tramadol with them. Plse do it.  They will save you
  • Posted

Plse see my previous.  MELATONIN in large dose for sleep.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.