Gabapentin and weight gain 😢

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've put on soooo much since starting it and it's really getting me down, has anyone eles experienced this and how can I loose weight if I'm still on it?? is there a similar drug people have found better!!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I am sorry to hear about your weight gained Hannah, I used to have gabapentin yeah, it put my weight as well, so i went bqack to my gp...and I asked them to take me off ..he then take me off from it..but a friend of mine advice me to replaced it with natural healing, vit d and magnesium oil spray , I used it daily and it works for meyou better check with your doctor coz every one different, I drink 2 littres waters daily and do 20 minutes walk as well, it seems the pain ease off..not as bad as before
  • Posted

Hi Hannah,

I am not suprised by what you say, this class of drug does seem to have an impact on the appetite area of the brain. I have taken both gabapentin and pregabalin, both same class of drug. When I was on gabapentin I read about weight gain being a problem for a lot of people, but I found the opposite, I actuallly lost a lot of weight, I went fom a size 10/12 to a 8/10 UK dress size. I looked at food or would smell it cooking and feel nauseous and had no appetite as atll, I would make myself eat what I could with my family at mealtimes and also if I started getting the shakes due to low blood sugar through lack of food intake. I think if it hadn't been for my husband cooking I would have become quite ill actually, I looked pretty pale and gaunt. After a year or so the effect did wear off, but I never over ate, when I wa full i would stop and give the rest to the dog !! I switched to pregabalin for others reasons than appetite and found that this one didn't supress my appetite like gabapentin had, I enjoyed food once again, I don't over eat but it has given me a bit of a sweet tooth I have to keep an eye on, and along with lack of mobiliy due to bad back I have now gone to a size 14 ( UK size) in last 3 years. I have now come off both of these drugs, and know of nothing else similar for nerve pain. Speak to your dr. There are other meds you can take for nerve pain such as low dose amitryptline, it's just a case of diff things suiting diff people. Good luck. 

• Posted

Hi Hannah,

I'm one who gained weight also and have recently stopped taking gabapentin due to it's multiple negative side effects. Some are improving, others remain the same as does the weight gain but it's only been three months. I ate very healthy while on it and still gained weight. I'm hoping without it, in time, the weight will come off. As for a similar drug...that depends on why it was prescribed for you. Have you spoken to your doctor about your weight concerns yet?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.