Third operation is needed.

Posted , 6 users are following.

I had my first bunionectomy last December, second foot op for fusion, realignment and bunionectomy now I need another op, there is a gap between my big toe and the other toe, need the plate and screw taken out, toe realigned and fused and plate and screw replaced.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Would you mind if I asked if your having any problems with your foot. I am really worried I may also have to have another op.
    • Posted

Hi Sally,

my first bunionectomy didn't work, the bunion was still there after the op, the second op in July was bunionectomy fusion and realignment, but the surgeon told me that he offshoot the realignment of my toe which left me with a big gap.

I went for my six week check up six weeks ago where the consultant said wait six weeks to see how it looks. It didn't improve and today the top consultant said he needs to open the toe up and do it all again.

I'm walking with a limp and still in a lot of pain.

• Posted

Oh lord you poor thing, it's funny that thought had crossed my mind, when I pull my toe to the position I think it should be, there is a huge gap between the toes, I really don't fancy that, how long did it take for you to recover from the other two operations? And did they ever suggest the keyhole?
    • Posted

Hi Olive,

l am still recovering from the second op, I have arthritis in that toe also.

I can't move the toe because of the fusion, the consultant took one look at it yesterday and knew it needed to corrected!

No one has suggested keyhole surgery, possibly because the arthritis is so bad.

I don't really want the op but my toe looks alien to me and I shouldn't be in this much pain!

• Posted

The  pic on the right is after the first op, bunion still there.

The next pic is after the second op.

• Posted

# The pic on the left is after first op!
  • Posted

Hi Terri, I h aave to have a bunion operation and at the same time have my 2nd and 3rd toes straightened as the big toe has pushed both of them at an angle. The 3rd toe is now crossing over the 4th toe and its all making my foot very painful. I still haven't decided to go ahead with this as I believe it will be very painful for sometime afterwards but if I don't , it'll only get worse. Having screws in afterwards concerns me. Are you aware of these when they are there? Any advice would be appreciated. It sounds as though you are going through a very rough time. Compared with my foot though, your first picture looks brilliant and I would love my foot to look like that, even with a tiny remaining bunion! All the best.
    • Posted

Hi Margaret,

I do feel the screw but it's not painful, but at times when walking it shifts into place!

That's why I had the original surgery, I didn't want the bunion getting any worse and crossing over my other toes.

If I were you I would definitely have the surgery, I had no problems with the other toes, just the bunion.

My pic on the left is the first surgery but can clearly see the bunion, which is what I was not pleased with.

It is a long haul getting back to normal, but some people seem to bounce back!

Good luck.

• Posted

Hi Terri

I would love my left foot to look like yours!

My right foot has turned out brilliantly but the left still has a bunion after the op but I was told I had left it 10 yrs too late. My big toe goes off to the left bending badly into the other toes and I certainly can't get flipflops on.  I had my screw taken out under local two weeks ago and still have the stitch in but so far I am walking better and only seem to get a few twinges of pain, fingers crossed I hope to be signed off this week.

I was offered another op in which he would insert a plate to hold the toe in place.  Arthritis and soft bones make the procedure difficult apparently but no way am I going to be hobbling round for yet another year - I just want my life back!

All the best. x

• Posted

Hi Jackie,

I can totally understand you not having another op. I can't wear shoes still and am wearing Ugg style boots as they are so wide!

I have a screw and plate, my brain can't work out why my big toe is no longer moving!

I have arthritis in the big toe and the toe did heal well, but the gap is so wide and it has left me in so much pain.

I'm not looking forward to the op and the recovery but I am pleased my surgeon agreed with me that the toe is just not right.

Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.