itching and rash on legs

Posted , 4 users are following.

Is this a problem with ras or itching on skin...it seems i have a few red marks on upper legs??????today itching on one spot?????what is this???

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Suncat,

I have a couple of red patches on my lower leg, usually I can use a moisturiser and it goes away.  But one of them this time is not going away.  Dr said it was to do with my Sjorgrens and just to keep an eye on it.  Nothing to worry about.

Mandy

• Posted

Hi 'suncat'. With Primary Sjogrens Syndrome i have found my skin condition quite erratic. I was in hospital (dermatology clinic) this week and was found to have a yeast-related problem for which i now use a ketoconazole shampoo (can use all over body...have to stand in shower for 3 minutes after application, then rinse off) + Daktacort cream (a little blub to be applied in affected areas twice daily). Basically,my immune system doesn't work so susceptible to all sorts of things. I hope this note helps. Bless x
    • Posted

Amen to that - I suspect we all have yeast problems! I'm currently looking into the idea that it's the candida (yeast) that causes the Sjogrens, not the other way around. It all ties in with the leaky gut theory. The way this goes is: candida arrow reduced bowel flora arrowabnormalities in lining of gut wall arrow leakage of toxins into bloodstream arrow over-excited immune system due to always being on red alert.

As documented elsewhere on this site, I recently flirted with a very powerful new probiotic preparation, which my doctor was eager for me to try. That didn't end well, as candida has a nasty habit of fighting back if attacked too strongly. While in their death-throes, it seems the organisms can produce large amounts of toxins which don't do the host any good at all. Anyway, I'm going to give myself another few weeks to fully recover from the die-off symptoms, then start the probiotic again... but this time on only about a quarter of the recommended dose to begin with.

• Posted

Lily65668. Hi!! I just sent a reply that was meant for you. It went to 'suncat' by mistake. I am such an idiot. Hope you can still read it?x
  • Posted

Wow, you know your stuff! The Sjogrens/yeast link is intriguing. Please keep me in touch with how things work. I would like to learn from you, especially if what i am taking doesn't work. Thank you 'suncat' x
    • Posted

I'll keep you posted... but don't hold your breath! I suspect this is going to be a very long, slow road.

I'm considering asking my doctor whether he could prescribe a systemic anti-fungal course before I attempt the probiotic again. I've had two of these in the past 10 years. When on this stuff, you have to start slowly then build up to the full dose over about a month. I should have remembered this, I suppose, and started slowly on the probiotic, but I've only started to understand the full implications of candida die-off since experiencing it for myself.

The idea would be to complete the anti-fungal course, then start the probiotic straight away, while candida levels were already low, to keep it under control. Although both the courses of systemic anti-fungals were very successful (I even got beautiful toe-nails!) it was only about a year before the candida was back with a vengeance. And this in spite of the fact that I've never had a sweet tooth and eat a very low-sugar diet. According to received wisdom, a high-sugar diet is reckoned to be the main cause of candida overgrowth, btw.

• Posted

probiotic...can i do this by eating yoghurt? I gave up cakes/biscuits etc. for a few weeks now and i won't go back.

​p.s. you should change your name to 'BEAUTIFUL TOE-NAILS' I like that (being cheeky)xx

• Posted

You did it again!rolleyes

Never a bad idea to give up sugar if you're a Sjogren's sufferer, quite apart from the candida connection. Because most of us have reduced saliva, we're much more prone to tooth decay.

Yes, there are a lot of "live" yoghourts on the market, and I'm sure they help a bit. The problem with yoghourts is that they only contain tiny quantities of live bacteria, and not always the right ones for gut flora. Even when they do contain the right bacteria, these will only "take" in a favourable environment. This is where the "prebiotics" come in - a whole range of chemical substances (all available from food, of course) that also need to be present in the gut to give the bacteria a fighting chance.

The product I was taking contains only two bacteria: Lactobacillus acidophilus and Bifidobacterium lactis. These are the good guys, and it's worth checking for these names on yoghourt pots. However, it contains more than 25 other active ingredients, ranging from vitamins and minerals through amino acids to things like extracts of turmeric and green tea.

Eating live yoghourt and cutting back on sugar - particularly the refined sort, but don't overdo fruits either - will certainly help, especially if you're eating a really good diet providing all the other nutrients your gut needs.

• Posted

lilly howdoyou know if you have sclerdoma

and my thraot spasms a lot today..dont understand

i had to ake valium bu come back

• Posted

Hi Suncat, If you think you have scleroderma, you need to go back to your doctor to discuss this, and particularly mention the throat spasms. That being said, tightening of the throat doesn't automatically mean you have scleroderma. It's a common symptom of anxiety and I think you have more than enough on your plate right now to make you anxious.

Like Sjogren's, there's no one definitive test for scleroderma so your doctor would have to take your entire condition into consideration.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.