sharp pains in right side following colonoscopy with polyp removal and biopsy

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello there, it would be great if someone could tell me if it is normal to get some sharp twinges after a colonoscopy? I had 2 polyps removed and a biopsy on another one and felt a bit rough afterwards, but not too bad. I had it done on Thursday and yesterday (Saturday) I started to get sharp pains a bit like a kidney stone on the right side and it has continued all night and this morning. No fever present and no blood in stool - normal bowel movements. Any advice would be great as I am  not sure if I need to take myself to A&E today. Unfortunately, I was more active than I wanted to be after the colonoscopy, but I didn't have an option to rest. Thanks in advance to anyone who has advice! 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Anna

I had 12 biopsies taken during my colonoscopy and I defintiely had some regional pain afterwards. In fact I didn't sleep for three nights after. Maybe not sharp stabbing pains as you describe, although thinking back there may have been some. But if you are in any doubt, go to A & E - but if you can cope with another day you could always go to your GP tomorrow. If there's no bleeding and everything else seems fine, that's a good sign. So yes, some of us do have pain afterwards. 

• Posted

Hi Adam, thanks for your reply - much appreciated smile I think I'll hold out now until tomorrow, unless it gets worse. Have a nice Sunday 
  • Posted

It isn't unusual to get some odd feelings after polyp removal and biopsy. If the pain is continuous and/or severe then I would go to A and E now. If it is neither then I would wait to speak to the colonoscopy unit on Monday, if it hasn't gone or become much less by then.
    • Posted

Thanks very much for the advice.. i'm going to hold out unless things get worse. It's definitely not severe, just short sharp jabs and then back to normal and i can function again. Thanks again and have a lovely Sunday 
  • Posted

If you're worried you could always just ring the outpatients tomorrow and just  ask their advice 
    • Posted

Thanks babs. things have improved a bit throughout the day..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.