venlafaxine YUK

Posted , 3 users are following.

hello i was taking 150 MG instand release every morning and felt it was helping but not quite enough so i asked doctor to increase them and she did to 225 MG but she gave the slow release tablets well with in 2 days of taking them the depression got much much worse i am beside my self. i feel soo lonely its crushing my heart and the depression is killing me i am incapable of having any kind of enjoyment u just sit here doing nothing all day just feel total emotional pain.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Have you checked with your Dr. Maybe you could take a half dose in the am and the other half at night? Unfortunately , it's a hit or miss. I'm happy you realize what the issue is. Godspeed
  • Posted

I (and some others) would love to know why you were initially prescribed 150mg instant release rather than the extended release.

Can you first check the prescription to see if something like "XR" (meaning extended release) was not mentioned in which case you were given instant release without the pharmacist checking the real intention. 

Then specifically ask your doctor to clarify.

• Posted

i didn't explain right. i was first prescribed 37.5 mg twise a day then put up to 75 mg twice a few weeks later but i could not sleep so i took the 150 instand release in the morning and it worked ok i felt a little better and i could sleep at night, a month later i spoke to the doctor and she incresed it to 225mg but changed it to XR as she said i would get a drop in mood of a night. but since i started the 225mg XR is has been horrid mood dropped significantly and has been crap ever since
    • Posted

I just realised that sometimes, in some countries,  the instant release form is prescribed to hasten the effect but the tablets are usually given 3 times a day to avoid peaks and troughs in your levels and minimise side-effects.

Once a person responds a once-a-day XR form is used for maintenance.

In my country ,as far as I know, and at least on our National Health Scheme drug list, we only have three forms. They are 75mg XR capsules & 150mg XR capsules and 37.5mg immediate release tablets. 

The idea is that a patient withdrawing ceases 75mg XR capsules and then uses those 37.5mg tablets for a month, then sees the doctor for assessment.    

• Posted

i responded much better to the instand release. i will ask doctor for 225 instand release when she calls. ever since i took the XR its been crap.
    • Posted

OK that makes sense.  This is fun... we have messages crossing over so don't be confused.

Yours is a classic example of individual variation where the instant 150mg once a day in the morning worked ok, presumably with no side effect worries which is contrary to usual expectations.

Work as a team with your doctor and we hope you can get sorted. 

• Posted

yeah im sure she won't give instant release as when she gave me the 225 and said they will be XR i said i don't want them and she was like snappy and said about my mood dropping in the evening but when i took the 150mg instand release i didn;t get any drop in mood but as soon as i started the 225 XR it all went bad. cheers mate

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.