Do I Need a Full Hysterectomy?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm almost 52 and recently had a pelvic ultrasound.  I have many fibroids, the largest one about 2 to 2 1/4 inches in diameter. I've also had lower back pain for about 6 months.  I've been doing physical therapy regularly.  This has helped but I still have back pain issues I suspect is fibroid related.  My physical therapist suspects the same. She says I am strong and it seems my body is tightening to protect something.  My gynecologist said that my only option is a full hysterectomy.  He also says that my back pain is unrelated to my uterus since I experience more pain on the right side and not in the middle of my back. I have two questions: 1) Is a full hysterectomy my only option due to the ubiquity and size of my fibroids?  2) Could the fibroids be causing my back pain even though the pain in largely on the right side? I'm not experiencing irregular bleeding and I'm still having regular periods.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I also have multiple fibroids. I went to the gyneacologist in June, because I was bleeding for about 20 days per month and feeling really weak. After a scan the only option he gave me was a hysterectomy. I said I would think about it, and he prescribed Esmya for 3 months, which stopped the bleeding completely. I then learnt about Uterine Fibroid Embolisation, and arranged an appointment with an Interventional Radiologist. After an MRI scan he said I was suitable for the procedure. I had this 2 months ago, and things have improved a lot. I don't know yet how much my fibroids have shrunk until I have another scan in 4 months time. But, there are options. Many gyneacologists don't like to say that UFE is one of them.
  • Posted

No, you don't need it. I am 52 years old and I have several quite large fibroids. I was advised 3 years ago to have a hysterectomy, but I refused since I think it is humiliating to a woman and due to the very heavy side effects. I am now on my fourth Esmya course and the reduction of the fibroids is more effective and lasts longer after each course. Heavy bleeding ended after the second course. My gyn says that we will continue with the Esmya treatments until the fibroids stay small or I reach menopause. Try Esmya! Good luck!
  • Posted

I had the UFE, I too didn't want to have a hysterectomy.  The UFE will shrink all of the fibroids.   It's not simple procedure though.  The first night I stayed in the hospital, and had one week intense, severe cramping. I still have some discharge, but feel great otherwise now about 8 weeks later-- and I still have all of my parts.
    • Posted

btw, my fibroid was 9 cm and I am 51.  I was anemic from heavy bleeding.  My cycle has not resumed.. so I'm not sure if that put me in menopause yet or not.  I will be getting blood tests tomorrow to see where I am.
  • Posted

One more thought... a 2 inch fibroid is not really that huge unless it's causing you bleeding symptoms.  Fibroids that size are very common and most women do nothing.  You are close to menopausal age, at which time they shrink naturally as they are deprived of hormones (which means that you can't take HRT later as that might promote more fibroid growth).

Good luck with your physical therapy, I hope that is the cure instead of a hysterectomy, which is a pretty major surgery.

Best wishes.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.