UFE discharge following procedure

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi ladies, have any of you who have had a UFE had discharge following the procedure?  I'm 8 weeks past the procedure and still have spotting.  Thanks for any feedback.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jana,

I'm just four weeks past and have had a light bloody discharge every day post UFE.

I understand this to be a sign of the fibroids breaking down.

I've been advised it will take about 6 mnths to find out how much of a reduction has occurred so with that in mind Im prepared for the possibility of this to be the norm for the forseeable (although hope I'm wrong)

Maybe just contact your GP if your concerned I'm sure they will put your mind at rest.

Good luck with your recovery.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply Samantha!  I did go to my gyn nurse yesterday and she didn't seem concerned about the persistent spotting.  I have an MRI to see the progress January 1.   The reason I was worried was because the Interventional radiologist who did the procedure said that I shouldn't have any discharge... but good old Google (and the forums and info it's led me to) reveals that many people do!  Even the Mayo website has info about spotting post UFE, so it has allayed my concerns.  Thanks for your input!

• Posted

Hi Jana,

I had a clear discharge every day before my procedure, that would 'flood' out periodically during the day, I had to wear a pad every day. Since my procedure almost 8 weeks ago, I still have clear discharge occasionally but no spotting.

I am seeing my gynecologist next week so will discuss all the things I feel haven't improved.

When is your follow up appointment? If you are not scheduled one soon see your GP to discuss issues and hopefully get some peace of mind

• Posted

Thanks Angel for your reply.  You and I had the procedure about the same time, mine was 9/28/15.

I did have a little piece of the fibroid come out about 2 weeks later and little fragments, but has stopped and the spotting is getting less noticeable.  So I am not as concerned anymore, I was just worried about a possible infection, but I am fairly confident that this is not the case.

As an aside, slightly off topic, did your radiologist discuss the amount of x-ray radiation that you would receive?  Kind of funny, but now after the fact, I'm thinking, hey that was probably a lot of radiation... too late now!  I will talk to the IR next time I see him about that.

Have a great day and thanks for your reply.

• Posted

Hi again Jana, I had the procedure at the same time as you. I had quite a lot of discharge for the first 4 weeks until my period started. I haven't had any discharge after that, and a normal period again 4 weeks later. From what I have read the discharge can last several months. I was told not to worry unless I get a fever, and a foul odor. But obviously get it checked if you are worried. I hope all goes well.
    • Posted

Sounds like your procedure was a good success!  Thanks for the reply... I think you're right, that with no fever etc, it's probably a natural breakdown of the fibroid.  I'll know for certain when I have the MRI in January.

My period has not resumed, but I'm 51.. glad you are back on track.  Do you mind if I ask how old you are?  I know UFE can push women into menopause, and if that's my case, I don't really mind, but I was regular before this procedure.

Thanks for the reply!

• Posted

Hi Jana, I have just turned 52, and thought the procedure would cause the menopause because of my age, but it hasn't been the case. Still getting terrible PMT, but at least the periods are much lighter, so I am pleased with it at the moment.. We'll have to wait and see over the next few months. The joys of being a woman !

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.