severe plantar fasciitis in both feet

Posted , 12 users are following.

I have severe plantar fasciitis in both feet. Started 9 months ago with one foot and have had in both feet for last six months. Can hardly walk in mornings when I get up and after work in evenings is the worst. Tried all the exercises my doctor gave me and did oral steroids which didn't help at all. Been rubbing valtaren gel on faithfully and still feels like someone is pushing their knuckle through my heel. Have started getting a pain on my left foot to the left of my heel almost on side of my foot. Is this to from plantar fasciitis? I'm just at my wits endwith this. No pain medicine gives me more than an hour of relief. Haven't had injections and with all I have read don't know if they would be worth the pain. Any suggestions I haven't tried would be appreciated.

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hello. I know this condition can be life altering in the worst way. I suffered two years and tried everything imaginable. Medication, injections, night splints...you name it. What worked for me was an insert called Superfeet. I also see a Chropractor. Within a few weeks to a month it went away. I change inserts every six months, stretch before I get out of bed and before sleep. I couldn't imagine living like that forever or with both feet. Hopefully this info helps. Superfeet can be purchased online or at REI sports stores. They had different kinds I use the blue. smile
  • Posted

Hi, 

I decided i;d try everything before resrting to injections or surgery... now free of PF thank goodness.. this is what i did - hope it helps you...

1. i froze two of the sleeves that go round champagne bottles and sat with them over my feet for hours until they were half frozen. The day i did this, it was gone the next morning. However, before this, which may have had a bearing on the outcome i did as follows (not sure which if any of these worked but it has now gone)

2. Rheumatologist told me to get to lower end of nhs bmi scales. He told me that he never saw anyone who was healthy and that made me determined. As its inflammation, then surfed internet and decided to cut out most things which might be inflammaroty for 3 months - which i did. So just ate fruit, veg, nuts, seeds, fish as much as i wanted. Lost nearly 2 stone and now at lower end of bmi.   This takes a lot of weight per inch off fett (multiply your body weight by 10 is the pressure you pop onto your feet). Also felt 10 years younger.

3. Took up swimming and this helped a lot. 

4. Bought Sketches Go walk - i loved them when it was at its worst - gave me back mobility within 3 or 4 weeks

5. On bad days, stuck on voltarol or got back out the champagne frozen wrappers. 

It just went and one day i woe up without it having suffered for months.  I just kind of got determined.   Stayed away from the injections as they can damage the ligament and i kind of felt they were not addressing the root cause of why the inflammation was occuring in the first place.  Somehow the combo of the above sorted it out. But it vanished the day after i half froze my feet to death in the champagne sleeves - but that might be coincidental to the weight loss etc. and the Sketchers (which i loved and were very handy at the time). Think the diet was very helpful and the swimming - it was the rheumatologist telling me he never saw fit and healthy people getting arthritis that triggered me into action - first week was worst then i got into cooking new and interesting veggie stuff. have porridge and fruti for brekkie; really limited all dairy and wheat but after a week found i just didnt miss it as within a month i felt and looked so much healthier and i got a buzz losing the weight.

• Posted

Hi joyrod71274,

I agree with at least two things that sparkle said,

1. I would NOT do injections if I were you. I have read tons of postings on here in the past few years and have only heard 1 person say injections worked for them. It's very painful they say and most times causes more problems and pain afterwards.

2. Yesss, freeze a plastic bottle of water and roll it under your heels. I also started out having PF in both of my heels so I understand how debilitating that can be. It can almost have you bedridden and for a short time I actually was bedridden because I literally could not walk because of it. I rolled the bottle of water under both of my heels, first the right and then the left and it literally was gone from my right heel almost immediately... like that same day!! It didn't leave my left heel and I still have PF in my left heel to this day but I also have lymphedema and circulation problems in my left leg so it's very hard for anything to really help or penetrate the swelling that I have on that foot etc.

So many people come on here with all kinds of foot ailments and they call it PF but it isn't necessarily PF. It seems like most doctors just call everything PF when patients come to them with foot problems. However you are one of the few people that is come on here having what sounds like true PF, which is usually just in the heels and feels like you are walking on rocks all the time only worse. Having said that though there are a lot of foot issues that can stem from plantar fasciitis because that tendon runs so far up the back of the leg and into the foot....people can tear it or pull it in different places etc or people tend to have nerve issues and things like that. But you and I have what seems to be the exact same symptoms, it being only in the heel. The side of your foot might be starting to hurt because of how you are having to carry your weight differently or bear your weight differently and just trying to walk. Anyway my advice is to definitely try the water bottles because it worked for me and sparkle said it worked for her and that has worked for other people too....but not everyone. Please keep me posted...hope it works for you!! Ladyjack51

• Posted

I found it essential to bin any old pairs of shoes that you have been wearing day in and day out,especially those which are really flat.  Didnt find any heel inserts helpful,in fact they rubbed the sides of my heels and gave me more problems. Heel stretching is essential..it feels as though it doesnt do any good as it takes time and just as you think its working,the pain comes back,but you still have to carry on with it.  Skechers 'go-walk' shoes are great for relieving the pressure on the heels.    I invested in some pairs of shoes that have the heels just slightly higher than the soles to shift the pressure a bit. This is obviously easier for women but is not impossible for a man.

I also bought an ordinary tennis ball and did instep rolling every night before bed.

This condition is more common in older folk....maybe that is why so many are now in 'Skechers' shoes. Used to be trainers,but these seem to have lost favour.

My fasciitis started very suddenly in both feet in May this year and I can now feel it is 99% clear. I blamed a very old and flat pair of Summer shoes which I dragged out of the cupboard in April....they had to go!..........By the way I am not overweight and consider myself fit so thats not the problem.

• Posted

Hi 

I had injections 2 weeks ago and I think they have made my pain worse .

im now wondering if it is PF as the whole sole of my feet consently burn .

they are worse when I've been walking for over 15 minutes my heels also ache I am at my wits end as I've tried all kinds to relieve the pain including the ice bottle .

• Posted

Hi...I have had this for a while now but I dont have the burning that you are experiencing. I dont think i will consent to the injections as I have heard lots of bad results with them. I definately dont need any more pain.
  • Posted

hi, 

Normally, with PF it is in middle of heel underneath. It is bad on waking in the morning and then gets better with activity.  This woudl be classic PF. As one starts to walk peculiarly, then all sorts muslce and ligament imbalances start, from an aggravted Achiles tendon to toes altering alignment etc.  However, if you have burning, sounds  more like nerve damage so i would go back and try and get another opinion from a foot speciliast - maybe an ultrasound is in order in a rheumatolgy dept. 

In terms of injections, they do work for some people - but they are not addressing the underlying cause of the issue and can damage the ligament.  Definitely not a first or second resort. try everything else including specific Physio first to try and find then get rid of underlying cause. 

• Posted

Thank you 

I am due to see my surgeon in Dec I hope he can help me as I can't go on with these pains in my feet it is ruining my life I know that sounds a little dramatic but that's how bad it is :[

• Posted

That isn't too dramatic. I've felt much the same. I do tons of active outdoor activities (trail running, snowboarding, xc skiing etc.) And PF was so bad I couldn't do any of them. That isn't living to me and chronic pain is awful. It's truly miserable. Finally I've gotten better enough (still have it in both feet) that I can run again and that's saved my sanity. Best of luck.
  • Posted

I use plastic plantar boots from amazon £16ish each-wear them in bed overnight when feet are sore. Right foot much improved. The boots keep the tendon stretched overnight so it does not 'tear' first thing in the morning when you stand up. Do not have them on too tightly- just enough to sleep comfortably and keep the tendon from tightening during the night-well worth trying and have improved my chronic case (5 yrs)
  • Posted

Just checked on amazon - £19.99 each now called adjustable night splint
  • Posted

I've had a similar situation as you. Severe PF in my left foot for 17 months now and 13 months in the right foot. The most debilitating injury I've ever experienced and it ruined my quality of life for awhile.

Mine is slowly getting better but the one thing I've learned is every case is different and what works for one person won't work for another.

My one suggestion is to stick with conservative methods as long as you can. I've heard of nightmare scenarios from release surgery then you are in pain for life.

Best of luck as PF is truly awful.

• Posted

Hi - I think you have had lots of information from people but relief, treatment, prevention does differ from person to person.

Shoes must have some form of heel (trainers can be OK) and must be supportive with good heel cupping and arch support.

Some people like Skechers Go Walk and while these are very comfortable I think they actuall caused a flare up of PF for me. I prefer Reebok Easytone and also have been wearing Crocs which I find really comfortable and supportive. The sole of the shoe should be reasonably firm so there is no stretching on kerbs and steps, Vans and Converse are no no's as extended wear walking on hard surfaces will bring on the PF - I know this to my cost last year in Spain when I was laid up on Xmas Day after a lot of sightseeing wearing Vans.

I don't find the gels, creams, etc, any good although icepacks and bottle rolling can help.

Calf stretching seems key to relief and prevention as this loosens the tendons above the heel and then seems to take the tightness away from the plantar. I used a double dose of Naproxen, a strong pain killer and anti-inflammatory, and this really worked.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.