30 Replies

Next
  • Posted

So much useful information here, it's astounding.

Thanks to everyone that runs the system.

Graham

• Posted

Hi Graham:

Many thanks for the two links.  I was interested what they had to say about bone resurfacing - "good bone stock."  Did a Google on it, and came up with broth!  Alternative was Osteoporosis, from which I assume that what they mean is good strong bones, that do not break easily, even at more advanced ages.

In my own case, I haven't aged as rapidly as my peer group, and my Mother lived on until her 98th year, and never broke a single bone, and neither have I. It comes down to genetics  I believe.  

I would prefer to have as little done or removed as possible, and am wondering if this is something to consider and discuss.  My understanding is though, that not all surgeons are qualified for this procedure, and so the wait would be longer.  

I was "guinea pigged" during hand surgery in San Francisco, and a right royal mess was made by a surgeon more used to operating on feet than my long fingers!  The surgery had to be redone, by another surgeon who was properly qualified.  So, the experience of the surgeon is a major consideration, as I have no intention of being someone else's guinea pig.

Maybe better to opt out of this as an alternative, but maybe worthy of some research.

• Posted

Thanks for the links Graham. They are very useful. Maybe we should direct all newbies to these links. Pity that I am a bit of a technophobe.sad

How are you getting on with your hip?

• Posted

Shirley,

Exactly what I was thinking, anyone pre-operation should go there to see what will happen, and what choices they have.

No problem with you being a technophobe, we can't all be computer gurus, I have been 'in' computers for 47 years now - and don't know everything by any means. When I started, we needed a fork lift truck to move a computer.

Hip is fine, it's learning to walk without overdoing it that is hard lol

All healed up finenow - I had quite a bit of 'leakage' when I was discharged, which was a bit traumatic for my wife as they expected her to be able to just re-dress the wound, and we all know just how long it is.  Our surgery was great, and they got the district nurse to come and see to me.   I have never ever had so many young ladies stroking my thigh wink - okay, my wife says they were just ensuring the dressing was firmly attached and watertight.

I'm doing about three-quarters of a mile outside daily now, after I found 1.5 miles was too much.   Off to see my surgeon this afternoon.

How is your hip coming on?

Bestregards

Graham

• Posted

Better today thanks Graham,

I had a few issues last weekend because I did too much too soon. Can go out without a stick now but take it with me for longer walks of about  two thirds of a mile.

Yes I know what you mean about people stroking your thigh. Everyone has lost interest in it now though.wink Think your wife had it right.

Off to the baths now. I might be brave and risk a swim today - see whether my new hip floats or not.

Best wishes

Shirley

• Posted

It is SO easy to overdo things - and we ALL do it.

I take two sticks on outside walks, one to use, and one for going up slopes and 'just in case'.

I think the nurses have found a nicer looking thigh to stroke ... or maybe my wife really has got it right.

You are brave, going for a swim - have a good time.

Best

Graham

• Posted

Hi Shirley/all,

Maybe we should direct all newbies to these links.

Both of these articles are linked on every discussion page within the THR group - look near the top of the right hand sidebar under "Related Information".

I am also planning on adding a Pinned discussion to the hip replacement group page with links to useful resources when I have time. You can get an idea of what I mean from the discussion linked below from the PMR group.

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/pmr-gca-website-addresses-and-resources-35316

Regards,

Alan

• Posted

thanks Alan -

the problem with the sidebar for me is that there are advertisements and all kind of stuff, so I ignore the sidebars, so to speak ....

sad 

you  deserve a big warm hug for the job you are doing - you know, keeping us in line 

renee

• Posted

Can we vote this forum of the year. I feel that anything

which maintains the personal connection between hippies

is the best, it is almost the amateurishness of the site which

is so good. We aren't always right, but we all try hard.

There is much factual internet information, but post op we

all are emotional, bereaved by loss of a body part, and need

the personal input of other members.

Cathie

• Posted

Hi Cathie

I think voting is now closed. But awarded "Britain's Best and Most Popular Health Website" in this year's Website of the Year Awards..

• Posted

I totally agree Cathie ....  so much support, understanding and love here between us - genuine interest as we are on this road - 

great sense of humor as well that put things in perspective -

the factual info is great, of course - we need that info too - but nothing beats this personal exchange -

lovingly embracing y'all

• Posted

The strange thing is we feel as if we know each other, do you realise

we could pass in the street and not recognise each other, that is

unless on crutches. Ha..ha..

Cathie

• Posted

It is very strange Cathie. We know each other's hip journey so well, yet so very little about the rest of our lives. I feel like I'm living a double life, and even had to tell my husband that I live here too. Yet we would not recognise each other! I've never had 'relationships' like this before!
    • Posted

It is odd isn't it - a close community of hippies, with a bond rather like military personnel have to each other.

All the best

Graham

• Posted

This makes us all soulmates. ....long time ago, in another dimension, we agreed to be here for each other ....

Namaste

• Posted

Hi Renee:

Interesting post... "long time ago, in another dimension, we agreed to be here for each other..."

I used to have out of body and flyiing/floating experiences as a child. There is more, but not for this venue!

All the best,

Susie

• Posted

Lovely smile And we certainly are in another dimension, one that was never conceived. You're in Holland, I'm in Australia, others are in the UK and we're chatting in real time.

How are you going renee?

• Posted

Hi renee,

This site is amazing -maybe it is like  a  Facebook for hips = Hipbookquestion

Do patients with other illnesses here share information in the same intimate way? For example do knee replacement patients have the same close bond?

Anyway, enough of the intellectual stuff, how are you, renee? As you can see, I have woken up in the middle of the night. Just took some pain relief as I am rather stiff and achey after exercise yesterday. Positive pain in a way because I feel it is doing me good.

This is my hip's first Christmas - do I buy it a stocking? A DVT stocking maybe smile Hugs to you renee, you are my inspiration,

Shirley

• Posted

I really like that --- Hipbook lol

We have a real bond - shared experiences, a bit like military personnel have all their lives.

Graham

• Posted

LOL to the stocking pressie! Rose bought her bad hip new Christmas crutches. I'm not sure that bad naughtie hips deserve pressies from Santa!

I'm on the knee forum and no, it's not nearly a good. It's a knee problems forum so not as focused or useful. I think some of the reasons this forum is so strong is that we're all doing the same recovery, it's a very common surgery so there's lots of us, we have time on our hands and recovery is so all consuming. And Alan as moderator does a good job. Oh, and because we're older we've been taught manners and treating others with respect. On so many forums you read absolutely terrible comments. Here I presume they would be moderated. I LOVE this forum!

Nice to have something to do in the middle of the night Shirley.

• Posted

Aw Kikeena

I could not have summed us up better myself.

Aren't we amazingquestion And modest too.

Hugs,

Shirley

• Posted

For the prezzie - i wanted to find a pair of 'hip replacement' earrings - with a miniature 'hip joint' - but I cannot find anything like it, looks like a new opening in jewellery to me  - all I could find were 'hippie' tee shirts.

Graham

• Posted

My sticks are going to get a rest at Christmas - I should be off them soon.

Got to store them up for when I get re-admitted in January though.

I might just design myself my own T-Shirt - if I can get hold of my Xray ... will they let you have it?

Something like :

Gone Bionic

Warning; contains metallic parts.

What do you think?

Graham

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.