Doctor prescribed levothyroxin but is not monitoriing now I have constant muscle cramping

Posted , 4 users are following.

At my last physical, my TSH level doubled from 3.1 to 6.15.  My doctor did not believe I needed to be treated for hypothyroidism.  I also see an oncologist for follow up from cancer 4 years ago. The chemo for that cancer left me with peripheral neuropathy in my feet that has not resolved (the neuropathy in my hands went away after about a year). When I told my onc. the TSH numbers, she put me on 112 mcg of levothyroxin, with the idea that it might help the neuropathy.  I have now been on levo for about 8 weeks.  A week and a half ago, I started getting almost constant muscle cramping in my feey and lower legs.  I don't know if it's a worsening of the neuropathy (although that was only sensory neuropathy -- numbness, tingling and cold insensistivity) or if it is the result of worsening hypthyroidism or some other scarier neurological cause. Frankly, I am so stressed by the cancer and that neuropathy and by bouncing from a primary physician who wouldn't treat the thyroid to an oncologist who has but who doesn't monitor the dose, I don't know what to do. Are severe and almost constant foot and leg cramps a sign of either low thyroid or a side effect of levothyroxin?  My T3 and T4 levels were never tested before being placed on the meds.  I do not feel any different or any better on this med. On the other hand, before my TSH bloodwork doubled, I was feeling tired, achy and constipated.  I am kind of terrified because I don't know how to disentangle these new symptoms.  I was fine with the level of function I had with the neuropathy in my feet.  Now it is getting intolerable.  Can anyone offer any advice on how to attack this issue?  I have been taking magnesium, calcium and vitamin B complex for the last two weeks, thinking it might be a vitamin deficiency -- all to no effect. 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Yoli- sorry for all your difficulties. Anyone with thyroid disease can relate to the difficulty getting diagnosed, and the completely ignorant doctors.

There's so much going on with you it's hard to tell what's what. Clearly your hypothyroidism needs treatment. Unfortunately, years without diagnosis slow metabolism and accelerate aging and the accompanying disease. Fortunately, with proper dosing for the thyroid disease you can recover. 

If you've been through chemo or radiation, your digestion is weakened substantially. So you likely have absorption problems that can lead to malnourishment. For this, I prefer using a partial dose of prenatal vitamins because they are easy, inexpensive and don't have added ingredients that can trigger your immune system.

You've had cancer, low thyroid and other disease that are all auto immune/immune system dysregulation. So  you need to treat this. This is not easy because there is no traditional western medicine treatment for autoimmune disease. 

You'll have to do some research. One of the easiest ways to get help is by using traditional Chiinese medicine because it includes acupuncture and herbs. Not quite one stop shopping, but a great start! 

• Posted

Hi Yoli, I'll continue.

You'll need to repair/heal your damaged digestive tract. This is very important because it is crucial for the conversion of T4 to T3.  Until your iguanid healthy, you're better off including T3 in your medication. Since your system is very weakened and you need a balance of T3 and T4, you get meds that include both. I'm not a fan of levothyroxin, as it is a synthetic thyroxin, and two years later, I'm still trying to recover from the massive edema and immune system disruption This horrible drug triggered, along with the fact that it never worked for me at any dose, so I got the double whammy- prolonged low thyroid plus the side effects!

I tried the NDt, which had worked for me in the past, and it was somewhat better, but never worked as well as it did when I took it prior to the levo. I was trying to get the massive edema and fibromyalgia type symptoms down in the hopes that calming my immune system would prevent autoimmune reactions if I switch to an organic bovine thyroxin. No matter what I did, I couldn't get the immune system to calm down and finally concluded that it could still be the NDT, though not as bad as the levo, triggering my immune system.  I switched to an OTC organic bovine medication a few weeks ago and it's working better than anything else so far. The edema and pain are decreasing steadily as well as the weight.  Maybe my experience resonates for you. Seems like with your delicate immune system, you'll be better off with cleaner products across the board, meds, food, soap, everything.

The natural approach takes time, so the acupuncture can help strengthen your system and treat the neuropathy you're experiencing. 

• Posted

Hi Yoli, last one... I'm having a screen glitch so I can't see what is above unless I enter the text. 

You didn't mention your blood sugar levels. The neuropathy yo're describing sounds like it could be a diabetic symptom., so it's important to rule that out. Either way, I'd get yourself to a good acupuncturist immediately, twice a week to prevent further deterioration of your system and help sit recover. Your high TSH level, though an incomplete picture is a sure sign of hypothyroidism that needs to be treated. If you aren't feeling any difference on the meds, they aren't working. So find something that does work, without adding to your symptoms- you'll need a natural medication.

I'd start with those two steps. There is no quick fix, this approach will hopefully prevent your condition from worsening, and within about three months, you should be having some glimpses of your usual self and wellness.

from there, or as soon as you're able, get yourself on a good multivitamin (as I recommended above), and you'll want to clean up your diet so you're eating foods that will nourish your body and help your gut heal, and eliminate any foods that could possibly be triggering your immune system.

Hope that gives you some ideas on how to approach.

Catherine

• Posted

Hi sorry to hear about your new symptoms. Just to point out we don't all get all the same symtoms.  These dont necessarily have anything to do with your low thyroid problem. Had hopothyrism for years never had this touch wood in legs, got pins and neddles in feet just left arm told it was  Caparpel Tunnel think this a nonsense as it does not effect my thumb which it would do with a Carpel Tunnel  problem.  and have no pain with it just astifisy GP so they don't have to do anything. Its probably something to do with my heart. Before someone suggests low B12 I have just had a blood test that says my B12 is more than adequate on the high side even though I don't supplement with B12 pills. I am just toraly bemusedt old by person doing fiagnosis I must be eating my greens.

However this is not about me I think maybe you should visit you GP and make sure your symtoms are written into your medical records. Don't wont to worry you unessesarily, but just goggled your symptoms and one of the suggestions that came up was peritheral artirial desease maybe you have already been checked out to eliminate this I hope so but seems it could also be others things as well,  but can't be to careful. because it wont. Maybe you could get your GP would get you a refferal to an endocrinologist might find an answer there if you are lucky enogh to get one of the better ones.

• Posted

Hi Yoli- I have to agree with Inuse on getting other things checked out. Since your doctor who did the physical seems to be uninterested in acknowledging or treating your obvious problems, ?I'd recommend shopping around for a doctor who us more willing to work with you. Definitely an endocrinologist for the thyroid and blood sugar, but an internist might be a better choice for a GP.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.