Don't know what to do to help my daughter :(

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi I am new here, I am 52 years old and was diagnosed with PCO when I was 25. I have an 18 year old daughter who also shares this wonder condition sad She has it much worse then I did, diagnosed at 15.  She has much more severe physical symptoms. The excess belly weight, acne and excess hair growth. She refuses to do anything to help herself at this point. Doesnt seem to care about anything. She stopped taking her meds close to a year ago. Met and Spiro.  Any time I try to broach the subject it turns into a full blown out war. I cant seem to make her understand how out of control her hormones are and how diet is so important in trying to correct it. I understand what she is going through. Although I was not as severe as her at such a young age I still had/have all the symtoms. I went through 7 years of infetility treatments, 2 miscarriages and am now diabetic. She is a triplet :D  Any advice would be so greatly appreciated 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

First of all, well done for trying to get through to your daughter and for all the advice you have given her so far.

The only things I can suggest is to take control of what she eats as much as possible. You cannot force her to take tablets or supplements, but to a certain extent you can control what she eats, at least when she is at home.

It may be tough on the rest of the family, but you need to remove refines carbs and sugars from the household and make sure you replace them with tempting alternatives. Also, whenever possible, maker her a packed lunch to take out with her rather than her buying something quick to eat.

Other than that, you can only do what is physically possible! Remember that the hormones will level out to an extent and hopefully you will be able to communicate better then. 15 is such a tender and confusing time even without the PCOS 😞.

Good luck and beat wishes

• Posted

I'm in the same boat as you. My daughter is 20. Hospitalized for 13 weeks and tons of issues but won't deal with any of them. She does do paleo diet but continues to gain regardless of what and how much she eats. She was 105 in October and now over 150. So it's not what she's eating. But to get her wash her face so the acne is as bad and generally researching this condition. I wish the best for your daughter. I just wanted to lift you up as a mom. Best of luck
  • Posted

Hi! 

My name is Annie, and for a university assignment I am writing a feature on living with PCOS in a bid to raise awareness. 

I was wondering if I could possibly ask you a few questions and hear about your story of living with PCOS. 

Your help would be truely appreciated! 

Thank you, kind regards, 

​Annie.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.