3 months post shoulder surgery no idea what job to do??????

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have been climbing the walls at home waiting for my sons to get home after school recovering from my operation desperately wanting to get back to normal, living in a very rural Wiltshire village. I am a single mother with two boys of 12 today and 15 who is now facing finding work with a weakened right arm due to shoulder surgery 3 months ago. Anyone out there got any ideas what I can do .I have been a cook and a housekeeper before this shoulder caused me problems.My fit note runs out in a week so really worried. I have also had Fibromyalgia for 8 years.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi and sorry to hear you have suffered this, assuming you have had FS and then the usual surgery of shaving the bone and MUA?  are you also right handed?    I am now post surgery 5 months and could not have held down any job to be honest until now and only managing regular committed work again with short spells only in front of the computer and luckily it is my non dominant shoulder which froze. Having FM as well obviously makes things even more difficult and I know how it is when your body wont work well enough to be able to manage financially without overdoing it and increasing the stress overall.  In turn this impacts on the very conditions you are trying to recover from.   You don't want to re trigger the shoulder freezing by overdoing it with the wrong sort of exercise.   Perhaps it is time for a change in lifestyle to something less physical than before if at all possible.  Living in a very rural area I dont suppose there are many local jobs but perhaps working from home could be a consideration or asking around for work in more of an admin role and looking at the possibility of retraining on the job or courses which cover your expenses short term.  I think there are a number of web sites dedicated to Mums working from home which may have some opportunities for paid work even if a little mundane for the time being.  Perhaps they can point you in the right direction and give you some tips in other directions.   Sadly neither FM or FS make you eligible for additional government help as far as I know yet both problems can be long term chronic conditions affecting employment prospects.  Without knowing your situation it is difficult to give any advice and wonder if you can source some from the nearest job centre perhaps.  Wishing you all the best and hope you find something soon. x
  • Posted

HI, I have jsut returned to work as a secretray and I am finding it really hard typing all day. The shoulder seems ok  just a bit sore, but the muscle as the back of the shoulder near the neck gets very tight  and I spend the weekend relaxing tryig to get in shape for another week of typing. Have you thought of maybe a small chemist. Retail if you only zap the goods through the till you could use your better arm but then there are heavier goods these days. Childminding or a Nanny, Librarain, recptionist some have headsets, maybe doctors/dentalreceptionist. You can get paid to be a secret shopper check out websies. You may have to travel to a bigger town to open up options for you. Good  Luck. 
  • Posted

Many thanks for your messages. It is so helpful sharing our thoughts  with others going through the same thing. I am right handed which complicates things and am not allowed to lift anything heavy. I also am not able to drive yet. Although in a week I will have to find something. Does anyone know what the next step is with ESA once my fit note runs out I have been advised to go on permitted work but have no work to return to as I was replaced . I suppose I will be on WRAG 
  • Posted

Hi, feelng for you! What about working from home? Perhaps articles for magazines or local newspapers?  (Tips and hints for keeping house/cooking etc?) Just ideas? Reception work at a hotel, not a HUGE amount of arm work? I have a frozen shoulder at the moment and 3 bulging discs as well as arthritis in my neck. I am a teacher who is currently working in a vacation care children's play centre. I 'pick' the things that I clean (!) and I only tend to do jobs that don't require me to either lift OR extend my reach.

Just ideas?

Claire

• Posted

Many thanks for your reply and suggestions.It is highly frustrating not knowing what work one can do with one arm!!!!! I am half way through an online teacher training course.which has been put on hold until the Spring. I have a placement in a local nursery school but cannot lift children etc so that has also been put on hold
    • Posted

good for you with your course, it seems you just need some income to get you through to the placement, when hopefully your arm will be stronger.  Have you tried to negotiate with the nursery school a slightly different role avoiding the lifting part until you are back on form?  I dont know what WRAG is but guess ESA is Employment Sickness Allowance?  I suggest you go back and get the ESA extended through the fit note.  You might have to draw some strength to stand up for yourself on this one, afterall you have an employment plan but just need a little more time.  A GP who understands the social and economic effects of conditions and positions such as yours is what is needed ! x
    • Posted

Those are very wise words thanknow. I have thought of renegotiating with the nursery school.Perhaps even just observe more how the children are interacting during their lessons.The only problem is I can't drive at the moment. As soon as I have been given the go ahead to drive I can get to the nursery school.
    • Posted

Hi !

I hope the online course works well for you, I did mine that way too! I know it is a huge change but I ended up buying a cheap automatic car that required less movement with gear changes etc. Of course I have no idea what your injury etc. is/was? The car means I can stay mobile, some days are better than others. Ironically I have just woken from a shocking night - annoying since I have had 2 decent nights.....meaning only getting up once or twice in agony!

Wise words indeed from Penny. Try to negotiate something a little more useful with the nursery, even taking some children and reading with them - perhaps an old more independent group? (They asked me to take the kids out for cricket the other day, expecting me to bowl - I chose the tallest boy and put him in bowl!)

I wish you well - I really do - it is SO HARD isn't it??

Claire

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.