Anxiety and amitriptyline

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi there just really looking for some advice, I have been taking 10mg ami for 2 weeks now and has helped reduce my tension headaches significantly, I had noticed I felt more anxious but am unsure whether that is due to me just being apprehensive about the tablets themselves, or if in fact it is the tablets, I have a almost 2 year old daughter and am still getting out and about, but it's as though it's with me and on my mind 24/7, I really feel I should persevere with the medication as I haven't given it enough time but will such a low dosage even help combat my anxiety?? And if I increase to 20mg could the anxiety potentially get worse? Any advice greatly received.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Personally I would persevere and if it gets worse then see your GP. Agitation is a side effect of Amitriptyline but the fact it's helped with your headaches is a good sign and your are only on a very small dose at the moment so I tend to think it isn't the medication.
    • Posted

Thank you for your advice, I feel at a little bit of a loss as it isn't helping with the anxiety which I know I am making worse by worrying constantly about it, I know I haven't really given it time, I'm just hoping that it will help calm me down a little so I can get back on top of things.. Thank you
    • Posted

Your dose may need to be increased a bit lucy as 10mgs is such a small dose.
    • Posted

Yes I'm wondering if that may be the case, only worry it may make the anxiety worse still. Headaches are gone so that's great but the anxiety and agitation is constant at the moment.
  • Posted

I have taken amitripylene 10mg for a year, before that I suffered for six months with tension headaches on a daily basis. 

Now the headaches are under control I have attempted to reduce the tablets and to stop them but unfortunately I can feel the headaches return .As the dose is so small I am going to continue taking the drug as I cannot face the alternative.

the only side effect I suffered was a very dry mouth I can manage that .Hope this helps headaches are so difficult to deal with.

• Posted

They really are and I felt sure that once I had conquered the headaches I wouldn't feel so anxious and I could control it, but I definitely feel more agitated and 24/7 mulling it over in my very tired and over worked mind ha.. Thanks for the advice
  • Posted

Hello, I am new to this forum and found the comments really useful. I started with migraines out of the blue in December, I was so poorly I was admitted to a stroke ward for tests. Luckily, the diagnosis was migraine and was prescribed 10mg at bedtime. I forgot to take one last weekend and had an attack (my migraines are pain free but get dreadful visual disturbance for about 40 mins) that evening. I have been suffering terrible panic attacks and can't stop crying. I have an appointment with a neurologist tomorrow and will ask him about side effects of this drug. It worked fine for four weeks until I forgot one.
    • Posted

Oh bless you Debra, thank goodness it is migraines, it's so horrible I am suffering really bad with anxiety and I can't seem to get control of it at times. I had it in my mind I feel worse since taking the tablets, but I am sensitive to some medicines so it may be my overworked and exhausted mind that's assuming that.. I just don't know what to do I keep persevering, I have to go back to the doctors next week so I will see how I am then and get some advice I guess, maybe I need to take more but I'd really like to stop obsessing and deal with the anxiety myself.. It's taking over my life at the moment.
  • Posted

Thanks for your reply Lucy. I am really hoping the consultant can put my mind at rest tomorrow and sort my medication out. I hadn't had a day off sick in 10 years but then, over the last couple of months I have been taking more and more time off. I am so anxious all the time and put it down to Amitriptaline. I have MS so maybe it's another symptom to cope with.sad

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.