Twelve days after removal of metalware

Posted , 5 users are following.

Twelve days after the removal of metalware due to infection, just taken off the dressing!

1 like, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Wow, sorry to hear that you had to have the metal out but they look great - lovely and straight! I'm almost 6 weeks post bilateral bunionetomy and I'm not 100% happy with how straight they are, consultant said he could take more bone from the left big toe which would be a smaller op than before but I'm not sure whether it's worth it.
    • Posted

Hi Elle,

This was my third op on the same bunion, the last one was to lessen the gap, I now have to wait until it's healed for the surgeon to go back in!

I wasn't happy with my two ops, the first one still had the bunion there and the second left a gap!

If you need it done then go ahead and have it, you may regret not having it done! 😃

• Posted

Looks like your foot is healing really well and lovely and straight. Hope you have no other complications. I'm 7 weeks in and have had no issues, just a bit of swelling so can't wait till that calms down and I can get in some more shoes!
    • Posted

Hi Caroline,

I still have a gap which needs further surgery, went for a walk yesterday the first day since the op, a bit sore today!

I was looking at shoes before Christmas choosing the ones I wanted to but post op, that's now been put on hold!

Good luck with the healing process.

• Posted

Best of luck Terri, hope you are pain free after the fusion at least. I also have arthritis in the big toe, had a bunion op as well as micro fracture and clean up of the joint-big bone spurs.. Guess the main outcome is less pain and I may have to go the fusion route in 5-10 years. I'm only early thirties so surgeon didn't want to fuse yet. Hope your next op goes smoothly! 
    • Posted

Thanks Caroline,

My niece had a fusion in her early 20's in one toe and the other foot a bunionectomy, with the non fused toe the bunion bump has come back.

• Posted

How long did it take for your niece's buinion to return?
    • Posted

Hi Caroline, I am going for my bunion operation in March on my right foot. Would you know how soon or any chance of us wearing our heels again ? I have a few pairs of heels and not sure whether I will be able to wear them again. sad

Alice

• Posted

Depends on which osteotomy you are going to have done. Normally 4 to 6 month after the operation you can wear high heels. But everyone is different.
    • Posted

Hi Alice, I'm confident I'll get in my old shoes again, but it maybe another 2-3 months.. I don't have anything with a heel over 3 inches anyway. Now 8 weeks post op just my right foot for scarf and Atkins ost. and arthritis op and I'm working on the movement, still a bit stiff but better range in morning before swelling kicks in and can go up on my toes gently with no pain. Being patient is the hardest part but my foot looks much better and less pain than I had before -apart from when it swells up lots in the afternoons! Doc said swelling will subside in next 2 months so till then I'm wearing size 6 men's asics and size 7 m&s slippers indoors. Not a good look but my size 3 foot won't fit in anything else yet! Best of luck with the op, just rest when they tell you and hopefully you'll get in your old shoes again, and lots of new ones!!
  • Posted

Good luck and sorry about so many operation. But at the moment toe and ligment looking good. Shame they expose the joint, have you got plenty of movement back?
    • Posted

Hi Susan,

Thank you 😥

I have no movement in the big toe, my surgeon said the toe fused really well.

The scar is looking good, I'm pleased with that!

• Posted

So as you had a fusion, you must have had arthritis in your toe and that means a Hallux Ridigus not Valgus. For a bunion operation you do not fuse, just if there is an awful lot of arthritis in the joint, then you do a fusion to stop the 2 parts of the joint rubbing. 
    • Posted

Yes that's right Susann,

my first op was the bunionectomy, the second fusion and more removal of the bunion.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.