Imigran with citalopram

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi everyone.   I have suffered with migraines for over 10 years, they started in my mid twenties.  I have not seen my GP during this time as both my parents have them so I knew what they were and mananged them myself.  However, over the last 2 years they have become more frequent and more painful. Especially over the last 8 months.  I cannot find a trigger and I am unable to say why they suddenly got more frequent and more painful.  I am a mum of three and when they come on they can wipe me out for days at a time, which is now starting to be 3 a week and sometimes 2 in one day! I saw my GP this morning and he has prescribed me beater blockers, 40mg twice a day, and Imigran for the pain.  He knows I am currently taking Citalopram for anxiety and I mentioned in the consultation that I was on these and was it OK to take these alongside my SSRI medication, to which he said yes, no problem, I can see you have been on these for 2 years.  Ive come home and read the patient information leaflet and it states NOT to take if I am taking Citalopram! Now, do I ring the GP surgery and ask him to ring me back or do I trust his judgement, knowledge etc and take if I need to? Do any of you take these together? *So hoping these work*  cheesygrin

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Faye, sorry to hear about your suffering with migraines, I've had them since I was 18 and am now 48, have tried absolutely everything including botox and had every test going.  Mine are definitely 90% hormonal depending on where I am in my monthly cycle and have gone even more erratic over the last 2 yrs as I have gone into peri menopause.  I am the only person in my family who suffers from these debilitating migraines, I have had the most patient of employers over the years who allows me to work from home as I am so bad with migraines lasting a few days at a time (however that will change as I have just been made redundant!) and I have been known to have 15 migraines a month as I diarise absolutely everything for GP & neurologists.  I am currently taking a beta blocker Propranolol - same as you 40mg twice a day and I do definitely say that they are helping the onset of migraines.  I also am prescribed rizatriptan melts for when they get bad and these are alot better for me than sumatriptan/imigran that I have also had prescribed for years.  I am on sertraline for anxiety (been on these for 2 yrs) and have been ok taking these alongside the beta blockers and haven't had any adverse reactions, I know every medication can be different so if I were you I would give your GP a call and just get him to clarify the situation for your own piece of mind and explain that you have read in the leaflet and you are worried - he will put your mind at rest and that will also go some way to helping you if nothing else does!  

I really really hope these meds work for you, it takes time to get them into your system, I find the beta blockers are best taken in the morning and then work during the day for me, I did find they gave me insomnia and vivid dreams if I took them before bed.

Fingers crossed for you Faye and good luck.

• Posted

Thanks Mo. I also work from home, which is a blessing really as I think if I had to drive and sit in an office with strip lights and noise I would be off sick all the time! We seem to have a lot in common, I'm 38 and feel worn out by these horrible migraines. Thanks for your advice and tips I will give my GP a ring. Hope you start to feel brighter too, and good luck getting a new job! X
  • Posted

It never hurts to double check with your GP or even your pharmacist.  I too was on citalopram (Celexa) and had been taking Xanax for anxiety  I am now taking Prozac and Ativan for anxiety.  As to the migraines--I have been on everything and had every test imagineable--not sure they are actually migraines, but close enough--maybe rebound headaches.  In the absence of not finding anything for my constant head pressure and searing headaches in the early morning hours--every day--I am taking Relpax, which is also a triptan, and alternate that with Excedrin for Migraines every other night.  I think you should be okay with what you are taking, but everyone is different and as I said earlier, it doesn't hurt to double check.  Hang in there and remember, one day at a time.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.