Esophagus Feels Full, Can't Eat Much

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello All,

My esophagus feels full when I eat food, not when I drink. I had heavy and tight chest and struggled to breathe. My food comes back up into the back of my throat. Sometimes it feels like little pieces of food are stuck to the back of my throat. I am drinking massive amounts of real chamomile tea as well as real ginger tea. I am also taking omeprazole (day 2). The chest heaviness is much better and I can breathe much better. I have an appointment with my PCP and gastroenterologist in a couple days. Anyone experienced anything like this? I was also in the ER twice this past week, EKG, blood, bp, all fine. Any advice, much appreciated, thanks.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi

Yes, I experienced much the same as you about a year ago. I always felt like I had a lump in my throat and the heavy, tight chest and struggling to breathe made me think there was something seriously wrong with me or I was experiencing heart attacks, which heartburn and indigestion symptoms can mimic. I've had Endoscopy, Colonoscopy, Sigmoidoscopy, Ultrasound scan, numerous blood tests and stool tests and all were fine. I was put on Omeprazole, and that has helped so much keep the bloating, indigestion and associated symptoms and pain under control, however I now feel generally unwell on a daily basis. My doctor has diagnosed me with having IBS, which I do have doubts about, and I'm due to see a Dietician today to see if we can get my symptoms under control. One thing that would help diagnose if you are having digestive problems are the state of your bowel movements. Mine were awful before the Omeprazole, dark, tarry and smelly, but now they are generally the same on a daily basis, and look normal and healthy (if a stool can look healthy that is).

Its hard to give advice as you seem to be just starting to experience these problems, but I have found eating foods from the FODMAP diet keep my symptoms in check to an acceptable level, but never really get rid of them. Plenty of info online about FODMAP. Cut out as much sugar, salt from your diet, as well as cut out alcohol (if you do drink), and I personally wouldn't drink the tea's you are having whilst on Omeprazole, I tried them, and other stuff, and found they made me worse. Water, white meat, white fish, rice, vegetables could be what you need, not the most exciting diet, but it eases the symptoms.

Hope that helps and good luck with your future appointments.

• Posted

Hello, i have been taking Omeprazole for about 8 years. It has been so good relieving the acid, burning feeling, I take 10mg. I am rather alarmed at the new research that taking this medication can cause dementure. Can any one suggest an alternative, i do think i need to take something. I monitor my diet, it helps, but i feel the acid builds up after a couple of days not taking it. Look forward to hearing anothers point of view,
    • Posted

Hello,

I stopped taking the omeprazole at the request of my doctor. I was having side effects, constant dizziness, light headed feeling. She suggested Tums, but gave me samples of Nexium just in case it got worse. I watched my diet, drank ginger root tea in massive amounts, plain kefir helped my gut alot. I feel alot better. Still have an endoscopy scheduled for next month. Feel better, not 100%, but much better. Your body will give you clues as to what is good for you and what isn't. Try all natural route, no side effects.

• Posted

Hello

Thankyou for your reply. Can you tell me what Tums is. I have not heard of Nexium is this similar to omiprazol.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.