back problems due to scoliosis

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi

Background i was diagnosed with scolosis when i was 13/14 quite a few years ago now. has all the check ups and xrays.

Now i am having issues again and all my GP wants to do is send me for Physio - i dont think so!

Anyhow i got an appointment with my Osteopath who works wonders as it is my muscles in my back causing me the grief along with the tenderness in the base of my spine now. My gp wont hear of it that something is wrong but i know its not right. All he did was give me pain meds which i only take when it is really bad.

Anyone had this before if so what helped?

I am not stopping with my Osteopath i have another session in a fortnight, it seems to work for a while then comes back worse than ever.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Dawn,

I had some similar problems a while back, my issue sounds very similar to yours in that my muscles were very strained due to my curve (and now they're out of place following my fusion!), and unfortunately there isn't an awful lot that you can do about it - your GP is referring you for physio as this is designed to help rehabilitate your muscles and reduce pain, so I would advise trying that as a primary course of care - if that doesn't work after a few months, pilates may help you as it follows a similar idea of muscle rehab.

I'm sorry that I can't provide you with a quicker fix, but take the meds when you need them, and remember that no matter how painful it gets, you're not alone smile

Best wishes,

Izzie x

• Posted

Thank you Bizzielzzie

As far as the physio goes i am not keen due to the poor service in my area.

thanks Dawn

• Posted

Hi Dawn 57104,

Well, let's discuss the real issue here. Your muscles-How do you fix them? You know the answer,whether you are prepared to do it, or not.Muscles are strengthened by labor,excercise,walking uphill-That's right-An uphill battle,literally.Let me tell you something, I go 2 days without taking myself to the limits of physical exertion, and I'm in agony. Rest is rust.Especially with our disease.You have alot to give,and many people who will benefit from your wisdom, but not until you face this head on, and realize that no doctor can help with this.Our fate is ours, and ours alone to determine and see our true beast, the one who comes forward and says,"forget these doctors, I'm going to test my limits!"No oneĀ  can take that from you,except you.

Pain Meds? Are you kidding? No pain meds! Ever!

No doctor can heal what you can better than you.Only difference is, you need to put alot more work into it than they do.If you need detailed advice, please message me directly.

You seem strong and stubborn, and these are 2 great weapons you can use against this.Listen, you prevail, imagine how many you can help, in so many countless ways they are far beyond your imagining right now,but they are there .

Best wishes, and stay strong-You wouldn't of been given this if you weren't chosen to overcome it!

• Posted

Hi Betty,

I am as active as i can be at work and at home.

Are you kidding without the pain meds for the last week and a half i would have been bed ridden and not got up and gone to work.

I saw the osteopath on Monday who was amazing and she put my muscles right which in my case is the only way of dealing with it.

I am only pursuing the doctors for a scan or mri to make sure that there is nothing causing this to happen but they seem to be reluctant to do this.

thanks

• Posted

Hi Dawn/Betty,

I'd like to just quickly weigh in here and say, Dawn, you use pain meds when you feel you need them - and that is exactly the right thing to do.

Betty is right in that the best way to help your muscles is to exercise them, and obviously you can't do that if you're in agonising pain - so please don't be afraid of medication, particularly medication that is recommended by your doctor.

That's all! Best wishes to you both

xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.