My eye condition has experts stumped

Posted , 5 users are following.

It started about two years ago . . . My right eye would always have a sticky liquid substance covering it, making vision very blurry… As if looking through a wet glass. Also, about every hour, my eyelid would be "glued" shut due to the hardening of the sticky substance. About a year later, the same condition has affected my left eye. I can no longer drive because of this condition and it is really bumming me out.

I have been to six ophthalmologists and six optomologists. Some doctors tell me it is paradoxical dry eyes. Others tell me it is an eye infection. Others tell me that it is pinkeye. I have followed their instructions for treating dry eyes. I have taken several types of medication for an eye infection. I have taken various drops for pinkeye.

Nothing helps. I do not know what to do next. My co-pays for eye doctors are quite expensive. I would hope that modern medicine would be able to treat such a condition. Am I being misdiagnosed? I would love to drive out to see my son and daughter who live in adjoining states, but cannot do so.

I am a male, 70 years of age, borderline diabetes, stage IV kidney disease, and borderline high blood pressure.

Can someone please offer me advice?

Thank you, Dennis

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Dennis you and i have the same thing except for one thing!  Mine are not sticky!

i have what 5 doctors say are chronic dry eye (mine run like a faucet)  i have had recontruction done on my tear ducts, i have had permement tubes for 6 months, i had numberous plugs.  i am 59 have been going through this for the last 9 years.  They gave me so many steriod drops (because i am prone for infection, it seems to find me) that i developed cataracts and had to have that surgery.

i don't have high blood pressure, kidney disease nor diabets.  The reason i joined this website in hope to find someone out there with an answer.  My eyelids are wet constantly and just run down my face.  it is so frustruating.  

i don't understand the stickiness with yours tho.  i have tried oral medication plus the expensive vitamins all the eye doctors sell, still nothing.   wet heat does give me relieve to how they feel, but does not make any of it go away. They didn't diagnose you with Blepharitis, that is what yours sounds like. 

• Posted

mine is not as bad as yours but was told at the optician could see nothing after a full check only a sign of cattarack and said to go to a/e at the hospital if gets worse. you sound like you have already done this have you?..
  • Posted

Mgd. Dry eye. Might want to look that up. Hope you get better.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.