depression - just cannot kick it

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all.

I get bouts of depression and i have been on this forum before and have managed to get through some really tough times in the past. I just feel so down and dismal lately. I know January and February are such depressing months, with dark days etc, but this seems worse than in the past. I can sometimes keep busy by doing stuff for others, but my head is in this dark place lately. Normally i make blankets to send to Battersea. Help others that are worse off than yourself my mam used to say. She never suffered a days depression in her life. She has been dead since 2009 and i so want to talk to her about how i feel. What help can anyone out there give me. My friends are all so busy with their families, homes, lives etc, I feel so lonely and isolated. I just want to stay in bed and do nothing but pile on the weight, which in turn makes me feel even more down. Any advice, thank you for reading.

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

((((hugs))))

Hi Sandra

please dont appologise for saying how you feel ... from what you have said it seems like you are watching your symptoms on  a daily basis which in turn will keep them going

i understand how you are feeling as i am in a dark space at the moment & have been for a while ... i go to counciling every week for an hour  which is really helping ... you can beat this you have proved you can by previous episodes

have you tried googling counceling serices for the area you live ... if you are on benefits or a low income you make a donation that you can afford  .... it will get you out too ... what about applying to a nursing home to do some volunteer work or to an animal shelter to do some cat cuddeling or other little jobs ... there are a lot of ways to help stop the feeling that you are going through ... stay strong smile x

• Posted

Hi Dawn

Thank you for your reply. I have been thinking about what you said about applying to a nursing home or voluntary work and it does sound good but sometimes i just cannot face going outside and being among people that i dont know. Its a catch 22 situation as i feel lonely yet i feel almost scared at meeting people who i dont know, may judge me etc. Thank you for your words of advice. I am trying to stay strong but i just want to sit and cry today, dark days. x

• Posted

Hi Sandra,

I can relate to how you feel. I've suffered long bouts of suicidal depression and life is a bit of a rollercoaster ;-)

I take one day at a time (without making too many plans and commitments that I might not be able to fulfil). I try to achieve something each day, even if that is just going to the shops or getting in contact with a friend. I don't beat myself up if I don't achieve anything - I try to except it as a pause or a learning experience and NOT a failure. I accept each day and try again the next day. I know it can be exhausting to find the energy but I believe each new day is a fresh opportunity and we don't have to be weighed down by what happened yesterday. Keep moving forward, however slowly - we each have our own pace and depression can really limit what we can do. Try not to do nothing for long periods. My bed is my comfort zone - it's where I feel warm and safe. I'm also very partial to comfort eating too and I don't like what I see when I look in the mirror. My therapist introduced me to self-compassion or self-soothing. It's not about self-indulgence or self-pampering but it is about self-care and respecting yourself, in the same way you would a friend you saw needed help and encouragement. Self-soothing can involve all the senses: savouring your favourite food instead of automatically eating without tasting something you might regret afterwards; having a hot bath and listening to your favourite relaxing music; meditating/breathing exercises.

It sounds as if you are a very caring person with a BIG heart for other people. I often feel motivated to help others and offer them support, but neglect my own needs. I guess we want others to meet our needs the same way we treat others compassionately. The problem is that other people are unpredictable and we can wait a long time hoping that someone else will meet our needs. There are like-minded people out there whom you can connect with. Feel free to PM me anytime.

Sending you a BIG hug xx

• Posted

Hi Digsby

Thank you for your kind words Digsby.  I need to take each day as it comes, as you said.  Today i feel like sitting and crying, it feels a dark day. Thank you for the big hug, i will keep you posted. Thank you x

• Posted

I know what those dark days are like Sandra and I wish I could just shine some light and hope into this one for you. Please don't give up. I hope that you feel a bit better after the tears have flowed. Tomorrow is another day.

Sending you a BIG hug and looking forward to hearing from you again soon. xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.