Does anyone believe/have physiological pain caused by Depression/anxiety?

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi all. Just wondering what everyone thinks of psychological pain? I've suffered with depression, anxiety and healthy anxiety for years. I get something in my head, usually to do with my health, then I focus on this and I start believing in dying or got something terminal. For me, it can manifest in a pain or ache somewhere. Does anyone have this? I'm under investigation for a pain in my flank, everything has come back clear though I do suffer from lower back pain due to my job. Drs are at a loss as to what might be causing it so I'm wondering now if I'm causing it myself by focusing on it but its like a vicious circle! I have pain, I get depressed and anxious over it, pain goes worse e.t.c. Just wanted to know peoples views on this please? Thank you xxx

2 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

All part of anxiety symptoms, I do it all the time, at the momement it is headaches and whenever I think about them, it's horrid but we need to get rid of the anxiety. x
    • Posted

Sometimes you don't think you've got anxiety. I've had the crippling anxiety that makes me feel ill and can't cope. I must still have underlying anxiety that makes me feel like I always have something wrong. And then once I've got the all clear on one thing something else crops up! Xx
  • Posted

Hi Pauline. I believe you've hit the nail on the head there. I do this often but its part of my addictive personality. Trust the doctors and health professionals and be gentle with yourself for feeling that way and don't best yourself up about it. Take care x
    • Posted

Thank you. Thing is I don't 100% trust the Drs because one Dr misdiagnosed me several years ago saying I have IBS which ended up being a grumbling appendix! He was diagnosing me with IBS for two years before I was in that much pain, I had to complain and then got sent for a camera xx
  • Posted

Yes, of course psychological problems can lead to physiological problems, such as pain. Particularly in the head area. It can be caused by a number of things, chemical imbalance or blood flow too high.

In my case high had tremendous stress, which resulted in a stroke, not the common blood clot type, but the cerebral  haemeorrhage where an artery basically burst inside my brain.

• Posted

Oh dear, I'm really sorry to hear that! I hope you are on the mend? I don't usually get headaches. The aches form in other places, leg ( thought it was thrombosis ) breast ( breast cancer ) I'm a walking nightmare!! X
  • Posted

Your pain is very real. Depression is serious and a very real illness. You should consult your doctor right away. Doctors are beginning to take this illness much more seriously the in previous years. You should not seek advise here regarding depression. It's far too serious. As for your back. I suffered back pain for most of my life for one reason or another. I always tried to blame it on this and that, work related mostly. Finally, around 2010 I was bedridden. That's how serious it got. Then, one day a friend recommended I read this book by John Sarnoff, healing back pain. I did. Three weeks later I was up and about. No more back pain. Only if I lift something very heavy. Then I'm down for the count for two weeks. Read the book.
    • Posted

I've been loads of time to the Drs. I've been on anti depressants but I'm.highly sensitive to them. I have anti anxiety tabs I take when it goes through the roof. I've seen a counsellor and my husband is a training counsellor so is fantastic with me. I've read all manner of books on depression and anxiety. I have come through really dark depression by pushing myself and working. I know 100% about my depression and I accept it as part of my life. I don't need another Dr to tell me more than I don't already know or suggest anything I haven't done. The post wasn't about me asking for help for my depression, it was just asking if anyone believed or had physiological pain. Nothing else!
    • Posted

Sorry, I wasn't clear. It's obvious you know much more then me about this subject, about your pain. I've been around it my entire life. My mother suffered from severe depression. Yes, pain was very real and she suffered greatly. People do not have proper respect for the illness. They don't see any missing limbs so they say "cope with it".
    • Posted

My Mum did too, so I think it might be hereditary, My own son who is only 9 shows signs of anxiety and has OCD! He's been like that since he was three but my two older daughters are fine. Its a horrible illness to suffer from x
    • Posted

John Hopkins did extensive research on this and concluded that it is hereditary. My mother had it. Skipped me. But my daughter is ocd and believe me it wasn't easy. She was diagnosed when she was 12 or so. They still don't know a fraction about ocd. My daughter is now 31 and much, much better. It's so difficult to diagnose and to cope with because every cod person is so different. But I believe ocd is incredibly difficult on the individual affected with it. As a parent I never know how to bring up such a child. It's very confusing and as a father I never knew if I was right or wrong in my upbringing. I chose the path of patience, loving, and giving. My other child being perfectly normal felt I loved her sister more because so much attention was being given to the ocd. I can go on and on.
  • Posted

Hi  - yes it is part of anxiety I am afraid and sometimes we focus on our bodies and have all kind of symptoms. i am not saying that your current symptoms are to do with this but if docs can;t find anything wrong it may well be. I know these days they call it 'Health Anxiety' and tend to use CBT to try and alleviate the symptoms. There are some good CBT books out there that deal with this problem. Take care 
  • Posted

Hi pauline 

I am the same way you get stuck with thinking about all the health stuff and then it drives you into anxieties that is just like me but we have to stop doing that

The body and mind work together 

Try doing something distract your thoughts by working or playing a game or talking to friends 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.