Swelling after hip replacement

Posted , 32 users are following.

im 10 days after surgery and my leg from knee to hip is swollen and I'm worried can anyone help please in aged 65

1 like, 39 replies

39 Replies

Next
  • Posted

How swollen, you can expect some, but if your leg is really hot and tight to touch you need to get to your Dr post haste.

I too had alot of swelling after surgery, some months on have a look at the you tube video of a hip replacement, would not reccommend it so close to your surgery, its rough going.

Can you when you rest raise your legs on some pillows, helps with draining back into your body.  I too was 63 when had THR done, so I do understand where your coming from.

• Posted

Thank you Lyn, feel a bit on my own.   My knee measures 20" and thigh 24".  It's not not but looks nasty.  Will it go down?  
    • Posted

Yes is the simple answer, think about what they had to do too you to replace that hip joint, they really wrench you around, the hip joint is the strongest joint in your body and they have to dislocate it, you have had the car accident from hell for this surgery. i think they use your knee as one of the points they grab to do the dislocation, I know I had a beautiful handprint the following day, the Dr laughed, when I told him, in fact we both laughed together.

My sister who is a very senior nurse said to me, before my surgery, you do realise its one of the most violent and aggresive surgeries she had ever seen, she said she even felt a little but quesy the first time she saw one, but I had no false impressions, my family is full of hip replacements.

And you wonder why you have swelling, have you never sprained an ankle, or wrist, I know I have years ago, and my foot blew up like a balloon, they have sprained muscles and tendons all up and down your leg to do the job I'm afraid.

• Posted

your right Lyn thank you I'm feeling a whole load better.
    • Posted

Lyn is right, some people end up with hand-shaped marks above and below the knees where they pull the leg about.

Graham

• Posted

Hi Sue

My leg was quite swillen around my hip and down the front of my thigh and had bruising at the back of my knee. It eventually went down.

Remember they have been in there drilling and hammering so your leg is going to go through a lot. If you personally think the swelling is to much and is not getting better l would give the hospital a call just to be on safe side.

Hope this helps

Laura x

• Posted

Thank you Laura, yes it is a big op and I had a fractured femur as well.  I will leave it a couple of days
  • Posted

Hi always seek medical advice if you are concerned however my thigh and knee are still bigger than my other one 4weeks on. The physio told me I was likely to have a rugby layers thigh for anywhere up to a year so I've not been too worried, I think a really swollen painful knee would need investigating tho.are you elevating your legs during the day ? Hope this helps a little
    • Posted

Thank you Susan very sensible not painful just aches a lot.  I get up and walk for about half an hour then back on my bed reclining.  I cannot manage chair as too upright at moment.  

• Posted

Unless it is red and hot it is normal. It goes away slowly. Swelling 

is the body,s way of dealing with injury and boy has it been traumatised. I am still liable to some swelling occasionally almost a year later. I was told it takes about a year to fully recover so you are just starting out. All the best

• Posted

Morning Sue

As the other say, it can be quite normal.

My knee to thigh stayed very tight and swollen for about 2 weeks. And then I started to have to wee every hour or so and the swelling went down at some rate. Perhaps a bit like water retention (just a guess)? Now, (18 days later) most of it has gone but still remains around the incision.

Michael (55)

• Posted

Thanks Mike that makes sense.  Since having the op I go far more than I did.  Perhaps water retention may be part of it.   I'm only 10 days in so maybe panicking unnecessarily.  
  • Posted

Mine was swollen for the first 2 weeks well up and down actually then it just went x hope you are doing OK this forum is great for comfort and advice onwards and upwards I'm 7 weeks post op and just a little stiff in mornings now but lovely that all that horrid pain has gone x you will get there slowly but surely patience is the key xxx
    • Posted

thank you so much Vanessa it is really kind of you and what lovely people you all are on the forum.  I'm so pleased I joined

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.