Fluoxetine/prozac dose increase

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi I'm new to this group but not new to depression and anxiety.

I have had depression most of my adult life and have had some success with fluoxetine.  I have been on the same dose 20mg on and off for years in combination with other methods such as meditation, massage aromatherpy and talking therapies. I have always had good coping strategies and have managed to live with my depression. However, the past couple of years have been very bad due to an incease in anxiety and a life long chronic illness, which causes constant pain. My attempts to try other ani-depressants have been unsuccessful leaving me with suicidal thoughts or feeling like a total zombie.

My gp suggested I increase the prozac dose to 40mg daily and to stick with it for a month to give it time to work.  I have experienced really bad headaches, increased apathy and irritability, bouts of anger and increased dark thoughts about myself.  It's only been two weeks.

Has anyone else felt worse on an increased dose of prozac?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I was on prozac as a teenager all i remember is i wanted to do something to myself would never go on that medication again 
    • Posted

Thank you elizabeth2244,

I heard it can be worse for teenagers - I'e been taking on and off since I was in my mid twenties - I am now 53. I think I may go back to my original dose,

• Posted

Hi - I have not tolarated prozac very well, but my sister who got very deppreessed when she was recceiving cncer treatment was on 40 mgs of prozac and she said it got her through and helped her stay positive. She stayed on that dose for years until she felt strong enough to wean herself off. 
  • Posted

I'm wondering why you couldn't increase 5 mg at a time.  Take it for 3 weeks and see how you feel, if not better add another 5 mg.  I only take 5 mg.  I think doubling it is not necessary and could be making you feel weird.  They make 10 mg tabs and can be broken in half.  Just a thought.
  • Posted

Hi Famrosa,

I'm a little late to dinner, but could you tell me how you've been feeling?

My pdr suggested I bump up my fluoxetine to 60mg daily; I've been taking fluoxetine for 26 years, part of that time at 20mg, and part of it at 40mg.

I'm on day 13 at 60mg and I can say I'm not feeling any increased effectiveness - in fact, I'm feeling kinda sluggish and sensing that some of the miniscule nuisances of my type of dsthymic depression is looming in the background waiting to engulf me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.