Told husband not to take his statis,do you agree with me

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi all ,my husband had a cholesterol test done,it was a bit high so doctor has prescribed atorvistatin...After reading the reviews on here ,I have told him what was being said, and now we feel he shouldnt take them, Also,as a lot of you have come of your statins ,what do you do to control your cholesterol, Do you do it by diet if so what do you eat,  Or do you use a supplement eg  from the health shop etc ,,, Is there any body else out there who din"t take there statins after being prescribed them,,And did you tell your doctor  you hadn"t taken then, when you had to go back for your blood test to see  if the  statins were working... I would be gratefull for any advice at all...Many thanks

0 likes, 45 replies

45 Replies

Next
  • Posted

hello,   I took them on and off for 40 years. In the end they made me very ill with 4 bad side effects that I know of. As far as I know they did no good whatsoever. I have come to believe that they are posion for me. I told my doctor that I would not take them anymore that I was sick from them. He gave me a VERY stupid response. I was done with him.

Anyway I have done a lot of my own research and found out, again my belief, that the whole cholesterol scare is pretty much BS. Now that there is the internet their is no excuse to be misinformed and necessarily believe your doc. They are not necessarily up to date on the latest research and they have a vested interest in keeping your husband on a medication so that the doc has a customer for life with blood tests, office visits, etc.

In my research I have found out that for one statin meds help about 1 out of 300 people. The number used is called the "NNT" which is the "Needed Number to Treat". Look that up for stains. That in itself is not very reasuring. Next that about 15 of those 300 will have BAD side affects. Then there is the whole issue on whether cholesterol actually causes heart attacks. There is good and bad choleterol and even within the bad cholesterol there is some good cholesterol. Now they are even finding other new causes of heart disease. Brand new research.

So in the end you have to do lots of reading. The blogs, in the scientific studies, in the New York Times etc etc.

I believe that in 5 or 10 years they won't be using statins.  That is my 2 cents.

Good luck.

• Posted

Hi Jaycee.

Firstly I would state that the choice to discontinue statins for myself was a decision I made after researching fully into statins and their benefits/dangers and I would never dream of telling another person what is right in their own circumstance.  What I would say is that it's very clear, on factual medical research evidence, that taking statins as a 'precaution' rather than after a cardiac episode - ie just because your cholesterol is high or there's a remote possibility you 'might' develop a problem in the future is now absolutely and very clearly demonstrated to be a wrong approach.  It does more harm than good.  It's now been clinically proven that if a patient has not already had a stroke or a heart attack, taking statins can induce irreversible type 2 diabetes and this can then lead to heart problems.  Thus taking statins in that situation has the REVERSE effect - it causes rather than prevents heart problems.  you say your husband's cholesterol was 'a bit high' - my personal view is that high cholesterol alone is absolutely not justification for taking such a toxic drug as statins.  Mine was at 9 and my doctor intentionally used 'scare tactics' to get me to blindly follow their advice to take statins and I regret immensely that I didnt do my homework first.  I just stopped taking them and to be honest my doctors didn't even question me about it nor had they offered me a further blood test or liver enzyme test - pretty hopeless level of care really.  I have stopped worrying about the 'numbers', I try to eat healthily, do regular exercise etc and try to get back from the problems the statins caused.  I have normal blood pressure and blood sugar levels, so the high cholesterol reading is not something I'm going to stress about.  I couldnt live with the damage that statins were causing me and I took the decision that in my personal circumstances, I'd rather take the risk than be disabled and in pain and with my health damaged by these toxins.  I hope that helps.  

Just as a last point - beware of so called cholesterol lowering spreads, drinks, etc., which lower all cholesterol - good and bad.  It's essential to keep a healthy level of 'good' cholesterol, which in itself helps remove the bad cholesterol from the blood.

• Posted

Jaycee.....I took statins for years before realising that they were causing my pain...GP told me I was fine ...nothing was wrong....so I stopped them by myself....he wasn't too pleased when I told him...but it's my life and it is up to me whether I want to take statins...and feel like c... all the time....I told him I would never take any more....that was about 5 years ago....most of the pain and weakness has gone from my legs.....and I do feel better...even my blood sugar has come down.....but I think if you take them for a number of years there are still some side effects that remain......
  • Posted

Hello jaycee58,

I have familial hypercholesterimia .. 234 mg... borderline high... am a vegan, work out regularly -1 hr on elliptical trainer, normal bmi. 73 yrs old.   took pravastatin, had awful reaction....pain in right side, maliaise, slight nausia, flu-like symptoms... Took it for about 1 month.  symptoms started within 8 days.  When I stopped, it took almost 3 weeks to feel okay...the clearance half-life is 77 hours....a long time to clear.  I will never take a statin.  ever.  Don't know if they are toxic, however, they are for me.  

advice... remember food is in your mouth for 30 seconds or so... and in the rest of your body for maybe 2 days.... Eat healthy.  exercise.  

also, my cholesterol did drop to normal when I was on the statin.  I'm exercising more in hopes to increase my hdl--which is fairly high already. I've always had low nomal triglycerides.

Good luck... hope this helps in informing you... and I sure agree with your conclusion.  My son is a doctor who says, stay off as many meds as you can... especially ones you see pushed on tv, and particularly for me, statins.  

• Posted

Since you are asking whether we agree or not. Well I don't agree, I think you are both basing your decision​ to withhold your husbands medication on the sometimes deluded opinions of a tiny but vocal minority.

That is all cheesygrin

• Posted

Doctors are prescribeing statins at a much lower number standard. My doctor used to not even mention a statin til it was 265. My husband had a heart attack,then was put on statins. Since then he has had burning and areas of his feet he cant feel. He also is now type 2 diabetic and has low testosterone which i dont know if that is related to the statins or not. We are quite sure his foot problems are. I was on statins for one year and developed signs of nerve damage in my arms,hand,legs and feet. Also very bad muscle weakness,i couldnt even push a grocery cart. I told my doctor no more statins,took about 3 years to fully recover. I dont do choelesterol checks anymore as i refuse to take the med. I live my life eating as best I can and at times that icludes pizza lol. I dont fully believe the choelesteral hype and as it is now being precribed more and more feel that more people will experiance side affects and some day the real nature of these drugs will finally come to light. They are big business for the drug company. You have to do what you feel is best,my husband is still on a statin although its a different one. Just enough of a question mark after the heart attack to not go off of it. If his ability to walk comes into play. He will quit them
    • Posted

totally agree with you lee...when I first took statins cholesterol was about 7.....it was a bit high ....got it down to 6.....a bit high should be 5.....then goal post were moved still further......who decides what cholesterol should be .I also read in an article that if you lower your cholesterol then your body makes more to compensate....I eat a healthy diet ...don't overeat....and I do have a biscuit or sweet when I want one...and a glass of wine....all I know is I was feeling fine ..in good health I could walk everyday for a couple of miles....till I started on the statins....now my feet ache so much and my wrists ..I'm 70yo now and I can't say if I might still have felt like this if I hadn't taken statins....I'll never know.....I do know that I wish I'd never heard of them.....one day the truth about them will come out...
    • Posted

I'm totally in agreement with you lisa and lee.  I too wish I'd never heard of statins.  I had a fright when told I had a cholesterol level of 9.  As I've mentioned before the doctor went into scare tactics mode and I was so frightened I admit I accepted the prescription without question - my fault not his.  I became ill very quickly but didnt realise or connect it was the statins.  I questioned the side effects with my doctor and was told they would subside eventually and I really believed it'd get better.  It didn't.  I got worse.  I ended up in the ER one evening totally unable to move and it was the attending registrar there who asked if I was on statins and then told me it was very likely it was them causing the damage and I should stop.  I went home and flushed them down the toilet, immediately.  It took about six months for the worst of the effects to clear up but now some three years later I'm in agony with what is suspected to be fibromyalgia.  The symptoms are identical to the statin effects - I ache all over, I hurt so badly some days it's hard to move, I cant lift anything with my right arm and I have perpetual liver problems.  There are patches of surface nerve damage on my skin where I dont have any feeling in that area and my feet are cold even in warm weather - none of which I had at all before I took statins.  I'm sick to death of general practice doctors telling us that the 'side effects' of statins are firstly rare and secondly minor - they aren't.  They are very widespread and in some cases cause permanent damage.   I've never been asked by my doctor, not once, about my cholesterol since then.  No-one has even commented about me not filling my prescriptions for statins for the last few years, not been offered a re-test nor a liver function test either.  Cynically I'm of the opinion they 'ticked a box' when they first prescribed them and couldn't care less thereafter.
    • Posted

Do you suspect that the fibromyalgia was caused by the statins?

I stopped taking them a year ago. Three years later is scary.

Medical care just seems to be in many cases TERRIBLE!

It seems to me that they just really don't care, are not paying attention, or don't know much. 

Hope that you will feel better down the road.

• Posted

I was prescribed statins by the cardiologist after I had a small heart attack in October 2011 - well, it was classified as small but it hurt like hell and gave me a very big fright!     I experienced severe muscle pain and weakness;  severe nerve pain;  severe depression and loss of libido.    The dosage was reduced and the brand changed several times with no reduction whatsoever in the negative effects.  (I don't use the term "side effects" because that minimises how serious they are.)

When I learned that permanent nerve and muscle damage could result I decided after a lot of thought to stop taking them, on the basis that I'd rather risk a second heart attack than live with the negative effects for the rest of my life.

I didn't need to change my diet because it was already high fibre and low fat/sugar/salt and I already exercised regularly, but the exercise was virtually impossible when I was on statins because of the pain and weakness.

One gp prescribed a non-statin cholesterol lowering drug:  same negative effects  showed up in less than a week so I stopped them too.

For about 18 months I've been taking Psyllium Husk powder most days:  4 tsps mixed into my porridge.  I had a cholesterol test after about a year and my levels of "bad" cholesterol were slightly reduced and I'm having another test this week just to check.   The only potential negative effect of the powder is if you try and take it without liquid, because it expands on contact with fluid, which could cause choking, so be careful of that issue if you decide to try it.

Presumably because of recent negative publicity about statins over the last couple of years, there are now various over the counter powders available:  I tried some free samples but decided to stick with the psyllium powder because these new powders are all full of sugar and salt and other stuff I don't want to put in my body.      

The dietician at cardiac rehab told us that so far she knows of no cholesterol lowering substance that only lowers "bad" cholesterol:  even the special margarine type spreads don't distinguish.   Our bodies do need cholesterol for brain and other functions in our bodies and low cholesterol has been implicated as a possible factor in Altzheimers and other types of dementia.

I'm not sure if you can still access older posts on this site, but there's been a lot of information posted about various issues to do with statins, including that what's regarded as safe cholesterol levels were reduced considerably back in the 70's (I think that's right but others will no doubt correct me on here if not) by a US committee on which drug manufacturers were strongly represented.

To be fair, I know quite a few people who've been on statins for years with no ill effects, but for those of us who do experience negative effects it's a hard decision to make whether or not to discontinue taking them.

I tried various "alternative" remedies but none of them worked:  two acquaintances recommended cayenne pepper and said it worked, but it turned out they just "trusted" it worked and hadn't had their cholesterol tested after using it!  .   Be as careful of hype and misrepresentation in that field as you would be of the multinational pharmaceutical companies:  in fact, it's often the same companies manufacturing both types of products under different names - sneaky, arent they?   

I hope that's not too much information in one post!   Good luck  - it's difficult to go against the "experts" when your future health is at stake and only your  husband can make the final decision.

• Posted

Hi Jaycee, first good-on-you for caring for your husbands well being and researching what a doctor wants him to ingest. Cholesterol production in the liver naturally increases as we age. Cholesterol can be controlled by diet and exercise: Jude65855 suggests 4 tbs of psillium husks mixed into porridge, both of which are excellent dietry suggestions. Of course, trans fats, foods with high sugar content, full cream milks, yoghurts and cheeses should be drastically reduced or cut out altogether. Lotsa fruit and veg and water.

I am one who didn't take statins after being prescribed - after two years on Artorvastatin and multiple side effects gradually snowballing, I secretly weaned myself off them. Doctor then prescribed Rotuvastatin. The first pill was almost in my mouth when I had visions of side effects continuing and growing. I tossed the lot. Next he prescribed Ezetrol which works in the gut rather than the liver. I tossed that too. He made excuses for all the side effects I had endured. I no longer see him.

Feeling much better now clean of statins. Cholesterol might be raised but so was my fathers. He too abandoned statins which improved his health. He died aged 90.

Pharmacuetical companies (whose business model is to have every human being reliant on at least one drug they produce) are reaping huge benefits from the statin train - 40 million Americans are prescribed them and it is a US$20 billion a year industry in that country alone. Not to mention all the other medications prescribed for the myriad damages they do to the patient.

Jaycee, try anything else before comitting to statins, and best of luck to you and your husband.

• Posted

I agree with your assessment totally. I'm so sick of doctors pushing me around and telling me to have this test and that test and take these pills.

Not on anything anymore and so happy about it. I have a great diet that I stick to 98% of the time and my daily exercise. All very easy stuff.

Just because a doctor graduates medical school doesn't mean that he is a genious, or a good doctor, or cares about his patients, or isn't just after money. They can be a terrible doctor and a sleaze bag.

I have had several of them over the years.

• Posted

Wayne, thank you for your contribution, I enjoyed reading about your experience of statins.  As a newbie at having ditched statins, your final paragraph re the pharma companies business model rings very real to me. It is about making bigger and bigger profits. Thank you again for sharing.
  • Posted

I just watched some free "statin nation" videos and am very relieved that the  deadly high cholesterol prediction is NOT substantiated by statistics in many  countries....This is not a quack production but rather has comparisons to exposing the data supported by the tobacco industry.   I am free!  No obsession that I have to lower my cholesterol without statin.  
    • Posted

Me as well. The doc's and big pharma need to take the statins because they are the ones that are "sick".
    • Posted

well said sankirk.  The tobacco industry is a good analogy - as is Thalidomide - that drug was pushed as the 'wonder cure' for morning sickness and it's terrible and devasting side effects were covered up for quite a while til it all backfired on the pharma industry.  It's so well documented now that statins are directly linked to irreversible damage and irreversible type 2 diabetes etc., I am stunned that so many doctors still refuse to be honest about these drugs.  Lets hope the pigeons come home to roost soon before too many more souls are made ill by these poisons.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.