Still painful

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi everyone I am 8 weeks post op this Thursday..Am getting on great but leg still feels pretty weak I'm no crutches round house slight limp and crutches when I go out . I am trying to lie on my sides now but if I do this it is so painful in morning I'm finding still laying on my back is the best x I'm hoping to be back at work in 3 weeks time but not sure if leg is going to be strong enough !!! When do most hippies feel strong enough to return to work please xxany advise on helping hip to get stronger is much appreciated as well thanks lovelys xx

5 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I went back to work on a phased return at 12 weeks. My job is in a lab, so some moving around but no heavy manual stuff. I asked for extra physio and hydrotherapy as my leg still was weak at 10 weeks

• Posted

I am 12 weeks post op on 2nd hip op and I still find sore to lay on sides, as for laying on back have you tried sitting up slightly in bed, I no longer use sticks or crutches and my surgeon said walking is the best exercise, my first hip op I didn't go back till 12 weeks and I had to watch lifting and bending, xx
  • Posted

Are you using a pillow between your legs when you sleep on your side? That may help alleviate some of that pain. It takes time to heal, and you are only 8 weeks. You'll probably be feeling much better in the next few weeks. I've often heard that a return to work around 12 weeks works for most, but not all. You may need to start working fewer hours and build up, if possible.
  • Posted

Background on me.

I am 52.  I had both hips done 9 weeks ago to this date.

They used an Anterior approach which has very few post op restrictions and faster recovery time.

I had the luxury of work from home so I started 2 weeks post. 

Started going back into the office @ 6 weeks.  Needed to sit and stand about every hour or two.

I can sleep on side fine.  Pillow still does help though.

The vitamin B's help with any nerve issues as a result of surgery (numbness / tingling). I take a good B' complex.

Ton's of good excercises out there - but hesitiant to share as mine were for Anterior method and I know if you had posterior there are some range of motion restrictions.

Did you go to a good physical therapist?

• Posted

It is so different for everyone.  I did not try to work until six months post op as my surgery was a revision.  So I was very run down from pain and lack of movement prior to surgery.  I am now almost one year out and I still suffer some aches and pains, but nothing debilitating.  Just listen to your body.  I would caution against even the slightest limp.  Limping does not help us, so I think you might consider using your crutch inside also.  Are you doing exercises to strengthen your leg?  That will help a lot.  As far as sleeping on the surgery side, sometimes I can get by with it and sometimes not.  

Hope this helps in someway.

Keep on keeping on!

Dawn, USA

• Posted

I have just come from physio and he basically said at least one crutch at all times until theres no limp. Apparently the longer you limped or hobbled before surgery, years for me, the longer to walk normally again. Makes sense to me.
  • Posted

Hi Vanessa, 

I don'tknow what to tell you ... I am 21 weeks p.o from 2nd THR and had 1st one in March 2015 - to be honest, both legs/hips still feel weak at times and definitely sore at the end of the day.

Are you still having physical therapy?     When did you start walking without crutch in the house?     My  PT did not allow me to walk unaided in the house until  week 6 ...

Still use a cane when I go outside - yesterday I went "cane-less" and am so sore today  ... 

Learning how to walk properly takes a lot of effort and energy - 

I watched the video on you tube again (Dr. Lin) and realized that I was walking like a soldier, usinf the front thigh muscles instead of  back/butt ones -

Goodness !!!!!!    it takes forever, or so it seems -

I was really in  bad shape before and in between THR surgeries - poor body, poor brain ....

What kind of job do you have?      Is there a lot of walking, lifting  etc involved ?

Are you hurting when you are sitting?

big warm hug 

renee

• Posted

Renee,

It's a bit 'Three steps forward, then two backward".

Last week I was on top of the world, goingstickless.  Today, we went out to town, and I could not manage without the stick at all.

It's that rollercoaster ride again, up one minute, down the next.

Oh well, on with the exercises again I suppose.

Graham

• Posted

Oh good .... I mean not good, but good - I am doing more "stickless" walking and that is a whole other set of muscles , I think - the walking itself feels good but whoa!!!   afterwards I am so sore and stiff -  Still not doing it right - or maybe I am confusing my brain ....

I just watched that video again and apparently one has to push forward with butt muscles and not front thigh (like soldier - see: Frankenstein walk) - 

• Posted

Renee

I never appreciated just how different walking without a stick is compared to using one stick - so much more effort in balancing the body I suppose, more & different muscles working hard.

I am sore and stiff too - walking outside is so different to walking indoors, again more balancing due to uneven surfaces.

Graham - 🚀💃

• Posted

I am 9 weeks (I think!) losing count, we are not far apart. I have definitely felt much better in the week or so, I expect you will feel a lot better than you do now....but going back to work full time might be a big ask so soon if you are still limping. What do you do? Sounds so dinner party, but is very relevant. 

Personally from how I am feeling, 12 weeks looks reasonable and even then a staggered start if you can possibly arrange it. I am back to almost all normal activities but I am slower, and tire easily still. I can't easily multi task like I used to I have noticed, as I am always thinking about hip in any given situation. I also hurt like hell when pushed too far still...which I find surprising at this stage...but then I have thought this all along that it is so much slower than we think it is going to be.

I too am still sleeping on my back, I can't lay on either side for long without it being sore, even with the pre massage suggested on the scar. 

Clenches help, cycling on a stationary bike, lifts and leg raisers will all help your muscles to strengthen, do you see a physio? I would recommend one to make sure your posture is corrected, and you are doing the right exercises for your type of operation. I limped for a long time before, so straightening this out requires a concerted daily effort. You will get there, but taking it easy and carefully. We are relatively speaking still early days according to my PT, so on we go....it is so much easier now though isn't it!!!! So happy normal life is coming back to us!! 

• Posted

Amazing, isn't it? It seems a long time and yet it is "early" in recovery -

I don't remember when I posted a discussion about hitting a plateau -

still feel that way some days - Multi-tasking, not so much anymore and definitely going at a snail breaking in a curve --- I do still almost everyhting on my own as I feel that I am holding back friends when for instance, shopping or going for a walk - 

So fellow hippies here on the forum, don't despair - 

It is what Rose says here : It is so much easier now , isn't it? 

• Posted

I take comfort from your comments Rose. I am coming up to 5 weeks weeks PO and I feel exhausted today. It makes me feel like a failure at times, I feel like I should be much better than this. I need to listen to you, Renee and other people on this forum and realise that it is still early days and I shouldn't beat myself up if I have an off day. My mind is eager to get up and running but my body is screaming slow down!
    • Posted

I am not sure why we feel what we are doing is not enough. Of course it is enough, we are doing brilliantly, it just doesn't often feel that way. I am forever thinking I should be doing more and more. 

I feel exasperated a lot, and keep asking myself why I am not congratulating myself more on getting through this 'experience,' and why on earth am I not pleased as punch not to have developed a complication etc or any number of things that would have made it even harder. It is beyond me why we are so hard on ourselves!!!! I am trying to reflect and look backwards more often, and see how far we have come in a relatively short space of time....if we are just looking forwards and upwards (and it looks a long way even from here!) it can be demoralising that is for sure.

If our body screams slow down, as mine regularly does too, lets just listen and go and sit down. Last night not only was it screaming but it completely seized up in protest in the end, and I found myself at the bottom of the stairs unable to walk up...it just would not budge an inch, like a defiant toddler?! I had no choice but to sit down and give in, what a relief that was! 

We can be so kind to others, so supportive and care so much about their recovery. I think we should make it our aim to treat ourselves as we would treat others. Would we be berating them for not doing more? For being exhausted? If they were having a bad day or bad days with a capital S? No of course not, we would buy them some flowers, sit them down ~ leg up ~  and reassure them that wherever they were on the pathway to good health, they were just where they needed to be, and nothing more is required of them apart from to put on a nice movie, legs up and enjoy the afternoon....and feel so proud that we did this thing!! We actually got through a big operation, and the worst of the recovery and we are still smiling (of sorts) and how brave we really are, and that is definitely true for all of us.

• Posted

It is easier in the sense the worst is over, do you think? Harder when it comes to expectations and feeling slightly aggreived they were are unlikely to ski at 4 months or run a marathon! It comes down to expectations, and I think for some of us, and definitely for me, it creates pressure to do better, move faster, be better. I am sure the recovery could continue in the same way given half a chance. As soon as you can walk wel, you want to walk perfectly, then you want to run, as soon as you can run, you want to be able to run faster, longer, and the goal posts keep moving....in some ways it helps to be ambitious and hopeful, it inspires us to keep trying, but too much, and a sense of failure sets in. A sense of never quite getting there. Also if they are unrealistic that is also going to make you feel bad. So I guess the key is gently expand our horizons without judgement of 'where we are' on the recovery road, listening to our bodies all the time for signs of pain and suffering....easier said than done with many demands...but thats my aim now! And never to compare! Which is what you have always said all along, but is really so important. It could easily rob you of feeling proud and happy of your own small achievements which is such a shame. What is one persons mountain is another's mole hill and vice versa! 
    • Posted

Your reply has made me cry, but in a good way! I feel relieved that it's not just me and that at this point in our lives we, as a group, have more similarities than we have differences. There really is strength in numbers.
    • Posted

Bless you, I am sorry I made you cry even in a good way. We will get there, honestly we will, and already we have done so well. It is a long journey that is for sure. Big hugs xxxx
    • Posted

I got upset one day because someone was saying that they'd just been out for a jog. At 5/6 weeks I was still hobbling around. My partner, lovely man that he is, said, "Kate you've just had the top of your femur lopped off and a cup and stem hammered into place. Chill out darling" so I did!

I recovered, at my pace, and probably the kinder you are to yourself the better the end result!

• Posted

Hi sweetness -  

Your words touched my soul ... I don't know why we are so hard on ourselves - looking at ourselves with unkind eyes - 

I live alone and for some reason I have been dropped from peoples lives - Maybe it is the distance as I live outside the village now - 

so, little pity parties at times - weather has been drury - 

Expectations are building blocks for disappointments one of my dear old and wise friends used to tell me ages ago ...

thank you Rose ... I am so proud of you - seriously ... 

• Posted

I am pretty certain having been on

this forum for so long now, that you are one of the reasons this forum is so supportive and comforting. For me you set the tone, for everyone, and never overlook anyone. Treating everyone with the same patient kindness. You have been consistently a light giving love all over the world to those that are suffering with their hips pre and post op. Without you it would never be the same.

It is incredible how many people disappear when you need them. It is hurtful, but maybe it is our expectation that they should be there for us? As you say expectations equal disappointment. This is the problem with being so giving and kind, we think everyone is like it and often they are not. Many people are just interested in themselves and can't look beyond it, it is not their fault it's just the way they are. Sometimes we are pleasantly surprised by the kindness of strangers and people we do not consider to be a good friend. It is a funny world.

I too feel you way you describe....it is helpful in some ways to focus on what isn't working any longer or causes disappointment, and a spring clean of dead wood, this will allow new shoots and new friends and people to enter your life. This operation does encourage a life assessment that is for sure!!

You have so much to give the world Renee, you have done so much for so many on the forum, I hope you are in a place that appreciates such a beautiful person? I really do. Because they are very lucky to have you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.