Hello PF warriors!

Posted , 4 users are following.

PF is so bad that I am joining a support group with you guys.

I have suffered from PF for about 4 years in my left foot. I also have a post surgery bunion foot in my right one. I do general labour as a living. Ultimately I want to be a social worker but for now I have to pay the bills.

My PF foot hurts everyday, every step. I have done almost all treatments without any success. On my breaks I have to take my shoes off and massage my feet to get them ready for the next part of the day.

Co-workers have no idea what I suffer from. They get mad at me because I can't walk as fast as them but if they only knew!

I have come home in tears some days. PF slowly eats at your spirit until death actually seems attractive.

I can't run but I can swim and lift weights. So that's something. My fear is my fascia will rupture from work one day though.

I am trying to stay strong but it can be hard. I just wish I had healthy feet so I can work pain free.

I am a 39 yr old male btw.

Thanks for hearing my rant! I look forward to being a part of this community.

2 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

You poor thing. I know what you mean about death seeming preferable. The pain is misery..

I'm still searching for answers  but here's a check list for you:

1.Are yiu stretching? Do the downward facing dog yoga pose.

2. Do yoga full stop! You can by DVDs

3. Have a deep tissue massage on your calves.

4. Use a golf ball. Stand on it, bear the pain, swear and then relax.

this should help at night

5. Turn your ankles round and round in a circular motion. You will feel parts of your foot loosen up

6. Take Ibuprofen before your shift at work. Don't use consistently though they can do damage.

When I find my permanent cure I'll be back.

• Posted

You've got it bad. No need to apologise about the rant.

Its so bad to be doing a manual job. I am losing income by not working but I just don't want to live on painkillers .

I am trying to watch funny films today to cheer up. I can drive with trainers so at least I can get out.

I know people look at me in trainers with my decent clothes, I like to look good out and about but I just hope as others out there suffer too they will know that I am a PF sufferer.

• Posted

Hi Warrior 76,

I am glad you came here for support! PF is very painful and so frustrating!!! I noticed, too, that it doesn't heal the same way a bone or muscle problem heals.  I pulled my back out recently. It hurt really baldly for a week, got a little better each day, then hurt now and then. The Plantar Fascia isn't bone ore muscle and took seemingly forever to even feel a ittle bit better. Plus, it is very hard not to continue using your feet, especially when, like you, your income depends on it!!  zyou have had a very bad case for a very long time!! It is no wonder that you are tired and frustrated....no worries about ranting!! We all understand.

So sorry to hear about you painful, difficult, frustrating situation!!!  It is true that most people have absolutely no idea about how miserable plantar Fasciitis is!  I find it embarrassing to be hobbling around holding on to things! That, along with my lack of productivity is so much worse than the pain.

When I got PF in both feet, I gave it a lot of thought. I figured that every painful step was actually stopping the injury from  healing. If it was a broken arm, for example, you would immobilize the arm with a cast and could still find ways to go about your daily life and let it heal. Not the feet. There is no way to avoid taking steps.  If you broke a leg you would be forced to deal with having limited mobility  To me it's as bad as broken bones, but it doesn't get the attention and care that broken bones get. Thats why people have it for so long!  A broken leg would be a catastrope, you  would have to figure out how to make ends meet financially while you recover and deal with all sorts of mobility issues, but eventually you would heal and be back to normal activities.

I am a nanny with PF in both feet. I could not walk or lift. I decided that i had to completely stop using the feet or it would drag on indefinately.  I was lucky that I could take a break from work and not use my feet for anything except truly necessary steps. I stretched a lot because it was impossible to put any weight on my feet otherwise. After 4 months of  taking less thab 100 steps a day, andlots physical and emotional misery I felt a change. The swelling and horrible fizzy, painful, zingy sensations started to lessen. I was able to move my toes.My feet still hurt, but were healing. Then I got the steroid injection and started Physical Therapy...streching and exercizing. I can walk now with slight pain and a bit of a limp.   I can walk a short way and will get better with time. I can think about going back to work soon.

My point is, resting the feet so that they can heal is very important. You are in a rough spot because you HAVE to walk for you job. Is there any way you could find a job that doesn't rely so heavily on your feet?I know this may seem almost  impossible, but it might be worth a try to take a hard look at your life and making the difficult changes that will make it better. I know exactly what you mean when you say that death seems attractive. You are in a serious situation. You have had this horrible problem for 4 years! I can't imagine the pain you haave endured!!!  Nothing is working, so something has to change. You said you would like to become a social worker... perhaps this foot problem will be the (miserable) driving force to make that dream a reality.Good luck! Stay strong!!!!!

• Posted

Hi betsyp

I am trying to build up time to move from

1 hour a day. I will be looking at a different job and have also tried to lose weight as one doctor I saw refused to give me steroid injection for fear of rupture.

Thank you for sharing your journey, it gives hope.

• Posted

Just an update for you Warrior 76.

Four days ago I went on a walking holiday and arrived in Cornwall absolutely crippled with PF. I had to walk on my toes the pain was so bad.

I thought I would be bed bound for the four days but instead forced myself out. Unbelievably, when I was walking on rough terrain and particularly uphill the pain began to ease. The more hill work I did the better. I came home form holiday yesterday with no pain. I believe it is the rotation of the foot that makes PF better. The advice is to stretch the calf but I find ankle flexing really helps. Also, and very importantly, the thigh needs to be strong.

I hope that helps

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.