Gabapentin and Amitriptyline

Posted , 6 users are following.

Was on 600mg Gabapentin 3 times a day for peripheral neuropathy to little effect. Was prescibed Amitriptyline, took 25mg for 3 days then 50mg for 5 days - replacing the 2 Gabapentin at night. Reduced Amitriptyline to 25mg after awful side effects. Took for 2 days with 300mg at night (in addition to the 600mg in morning and new GP said stop Amitriptyline and increase morning dose to 900mg. Was OK for a while, but then feet and lower legs started severe pins and needles, difficult to walk. Disturbed sleep last night and feet and legs still bad. Is this withrawal from Amitriptyline? How long will it last? GP rang and said gradually increase Gabapentin to 900mg 3 times a day and if necessary go to 1200mg 3 times a day. Any suggestions? Will this gradually get better?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

What you are discribing sounds very much like myself. Where I am at right now is that I refuse to live on any medicine due to side effects or withdrawals. Therefore I need to find out what is causing what. I wish I could help you. Keep looking for answers!
    • Posted

Were you on medication - if so how long did it take take to get off it? And what were the side effects?
  • Posted

Sorry, cant help with much of this....all I know is Gabapentin when you start taking it you  get very tired....some people cant tolerate it at all and when yoe try to taper off some people have a very diffucult time....right know I am on 100 mg once a day until April 21   then we will see from there......Good luck!!!   You can always get another opinion on the meds...sometimes you need to try 2 or 3 drs
    • Posted

The thing is, I wasn't having anything like the problems I am now on Gabapentin and I seemed to tolerate it OK - it just didn't seem to be helping much. It was only the Amitriptyline that started the problems.
  • Posted

Amitriptyline can slam you with side effects to start with; can take about a month or more to start to live with it. But in the long term, amitriptyline has far less dramatic side effects and is tolerable compared to gabapentin and pregabilin.
  • Posted

I take 300mg of Gaberpentin a day and 10mg of Amitriptyline at night. I have been on the higher dose of 50mg of Amitrriptyline in the past but tiredness is a side effect of this drug. I am fine on the Gaberpentin on the doses i take. 
  • Posted

Any medication prescribed only helping for a temporary while the good health care professional normally advice their patients to change their life style by changing their diets, exercises etc..I used to take gabapentin, amytriptyline, as well as others 6 others medications and my doctors and neurologist also advice me to join the pain management and pysiotherapist, from then on they suggest me to change my life style, exercises , drink plenty of waters..slowly..slowly they asked to reduce the taking of my gabapentin and others to lower dosage..then from every other day to not at all..now I am just taking supplements, magnesium oil..if I am really can't put up with my pain then I take my paracetemol, but every doctor and patient are different..it very taugh facing the withdrawal symptom of medication..on the other hand the side effect of taking any drugs is also not very good (as the leaflet also stated that) but it catch 22 ?...meditaqtion is quite good ,,

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.