Colonoscopy

Posted , 7 users are following.

I know that ever since I found out about it, I can't hardly  sleep.

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

I know when I was going to have one I can't hardly sleep at night.
  • Posted

Hi joe95619.

Please don't get so stressed. It's really not so bad. It's always seems a bother when they ring me every three years for another colonoscopy. I told them this time would be my last. But it's different this time because the very large polyp they found is precancerous. If I hadn't gone I would be in trouble somewhere along the line. Always go no matter what. I'm waiting to see how they are going to get rid of mine

• Posted

Colonoscopies are a nuisance to have. The clear out is a bore and although the exam isn't usually too bad for me, I could think of nicer ways to spend a day. But, and this is the big thing, bowel cancer is a major killer amongst the cancers and yet it needn't be. It is the one cancer where generally the progress from polyp to cancer is slow and if they find it before it is cancerous then you can be saved from cancer treatments and the terrible worry. Even if there is a cancer, the earlier they get it the dramatically better your chances are. Most people (the vast majority) get all worked up about it and then there is nothing there when they have a look, but, if there is something it is so vital to zap it if they can. In most parts of the body you don't get this chance so it's crazy not to take it. Keep that in mind. Think of the nice meal you can have afterwards and keep cheerful. It's not a kind of punishment. It's a saviour.
    • Posted

I agree with etheremail it is a life saver. But we have to be proactive if we want to avoid cancer. I will never miss my appointments.
    • Posted

Very true! If I had have had one when younger as a precaution, I might not have ended up as an emergency and having an obstruction with a small perforation removed. On the positive side though, all is ok so far after almost 2 1/2 years since surgery. Don't worry! 
    • Posted

had have had? Just had, maybe had had. Sorry. 😳
  • Posted

Try not to stress about it. I had my first last month and everyone involved was really supportive and made it as easy as possible. I had no sedation and no pain.. less uncomfortable than a dental filling. Two small polyps removed which turned out to be potentially nasty, so defiantely worth it.
  • Posted

I know me too. Mine is in 17 days and I am sick with worry ..... I feel I know that they are going to find something serious 😭
    • Posted

Thats the reason for getting it done.. if its because you've been doing the poo stick tests and they've shown a trace of blood, then its early stages, and they can snip out any nasties before they cause any more problems. Its very operable and fixable, providing its done early.. so no head under the blanket and hope its going to go away! And thats if theres any cancer diagnosis, which is low probability anyway!

• Posted

Bear in mind though that whilst blood is the reason you MUST have the test, it nevertheless is most often caused by something other than the Big Nasty. I had very bad bleed over several days twenty years ago and it turned out to be a burst blood vessel caused by a peculiar reaction to baked beans. Ulcers in the tum can sometimes give off trace amounts as can a whole host of bowel conditions including piles that are not terminal!
    • Posted

In my case haven't seen blood in stool sometimes when I wipe but I have piles so I don't worry much about that. It's more the pain I get in my lower right pelvic area, I'm convinced there is a blockage caused by a mass. My gp insists its ibs and surgeon said all felt well but since my dad passed at 56 due to colon cancer he thinks we should start the screening which I should start at 40 (in a year). Can't wait for it to be over. The actual colonoscopy is not worrying me it's what they find that is especially since recently my friend had a growth removed together with chemo after a screening test 😟
  • Posted

I had my first on February 19th and for 4 weeks I dreaded it and stressed it. My wife said it's not going to be that bad. She was right.

The prep is the bad part of it for sure, but ask questions and follow the instructions to the number. Try to cut back on solid foods 2 days before the procedure, it will help and drink lots of fluids.

Day of the procedure make sure you take care of mother nature before you go, you don't want an accident on your way to the procedure.

They will sedate you, or ask for it. You'll wake 20 minutes later. In recovery you need to break wind and trust me you'll feel better afterwards.

Follow any instructions that the nurses give you, and if they find something they'll remove it while they are there. They'll lab the polyps and let you know what they find, if they don't find anything you don't have to come back for 10 years.

• Posted

Tks Mike hope they don't find anything so won't have to do it. I've heard that the prep is horrible, do I get faint? I have a 7 yr old so I need to know if I should get someone to stay with him. He is quite independent
    • Posted

Hi again. Everyone is different I suppose, but I found the prep ok. Stayed close to the loo of course and used wet wipes or similar if things got a bit raw. I followed the instructions carefully and all was fine. No accidents in the taxi either! I was told the result of the colonoscopy as soon as it was finished. No more for 3 years. 
    • Posted

The prep wasn't pleasant tasting, I added some lemon squash to make it more interesting and cover the vanilla taste. Used a kitchen timer to drink the 1 litre over the prescribed hour. I'd been on a diet for several weeks prior, so the laxative effect was no where near as spectacular as I'd expected.. just fluid in, fluid out, but in a controlled way!! I was a bit concerned it hadnt worked properly, but the colon was sparkly clean :-)

No wind problems afterwards either.. they used CO2 not air, and said it was mostly sucked out as they withdrew the camera, so another dissapointment!

• Posted

No, it just tastes of artificial vanilla.. not vomit inducing, but it seems a lot to take down - 1 ltr over an hour at 2pm, 4pm and 6pm for me the day before. Drink plenty of water too, as the instructions say. I just sat and watched tv all afternoon. The following day, one more dose in the morning. I'd definately get someone round the day of the procedure though.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.