Recently diagnosed with Frozen Shoulder

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi all, I have recently been diagnosed with Frozen Shoulder,  I have always been very fit and healthy but at 49 age is finally taking its toll.  The doctor did not tell me very much so I researched a lot on the internet and read a few true life stories some inspirational ones after reading peoples stories it makes common sense to just let nature take its course and as I understand it there are three stages.  I have tried to make the best of what I do have which is two working legs and one working arm and I am now regularly doing mild stretches every day with my good parts and just getting lots of rest on my frozen shoulder until I can comfortably do some stretches, I have been using a hot water bottle to keep it warm and taking cod liver oil capsules and vitamins, I am trying to avoid moving it too much.  The pain comes and goes probably more at night time but it is now bareable and I am not taking painkillers although I did take some for a couple of days.  It will be a week on Friday since I got diagnosed and I do feel a bit better I just hope its not going to be a long haul but from what I have read and all the stories it could be months or years, there is one story i read that struck out the most and I will try and find the link and re post it, this lady took 9 months to heal she said PT was a waste of time and she explored other remedies but in the end she just left it to nature and got through the three stages still she could finally move it.  She said after a while she could not be bothered with the exercising and just let nature take its course.

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Welcome Angela! Sorry to welcome.

It seems everyone is a bit different with Frozen Shoulder (FS).  I have had it about 6-7 months so far. I am a Diabetic, which supposedly is a worse case of FS, the scar tissue from FS is much more dense.  Had 3 cortisone shots (2 in the shoulder joint under anesthesia) a round of steroids and 3-4 months of Physical Therepy. 

I too found PT to be very painful and not helpful (I think the doctors just keep us busy with it personally.) It inflamed me soooo bad, but that was me. It helps others.

I find tart cherry juice and hot baths with Epsom salts with a hot towel draped over my FS and a heating pad or ice pack are about the only things that help just a bit.

My doctor told me that my FS may never go away, guess that happens sometimes with Diabetics. I don't accept that though. 

I find that Norco helps me sleep or when the pain starts in the early afternoon. Either Naproxen or Meloxicam help (Antiinflamatories). Along with Calcium/Magnesium supplements. 

I think you might be in for at least 9-12 months of this Angela, hopefully it goes away sooner, but keep in mind that it can last for several years. There is a lot of bs on the internet about FS. I have found most my information from this forum or the sports injury forums. My doctor told me they really don't know much about FS and they really honestly can't treat it easily, just try to make us comfortable as possible.

I do hope you feel better soon. Please post anything you want here, we complain but do try to help each other.

Jen

• Posted

Thanks Jenn yes your right it seems everyone is a bit different, I wil keep you updated with my progress.  I am not going to opt for PT because like you say I think its just something to keep us busy, but lets not forget that these PH providers are paid for by the NHS!!! I feel more annoyed that I have been paying NHS contributions since I was a teenager and what do I get in return virtually nothing except a big prescription of painkiller pills and anti inflamatories that I still had to pay for  and a long waiting list for PH that sucks, when really a Chiropodist is probably what I should be seeing. My boss at work also had FS and he had it for 8 months fortunately he is better now so there will be some that heal quicker than others.  Although I cannot move my left arm high like my right its something I have to now accept that it could be a year plus  I give thanks that I still have a left arm and that I can still do moderate everyday stuff with it.  I wish you a speedy recovery too and all you can do is your best.  I am wondering if a month in a very tropical climate country would also help, as last year I travelled to the caribbean for 1 month and at that time I had some back pain aches and pains etc however after two weeks of relaxation in a tropical climate I felt amazing with no more aches and pains.  Yes lets keep in touch with our progress and I think its a good thing that you are taking supplements like calcium and magnesium.  I have also read that Tumerac is also really good but I have not tried that as yet.
    • Posted

Hi Jen! Miss talking to you. I notice I get pain on and off depending if I don't move much or resting. When I lie down I can do lift my arm overhead lightly but when I sit or stand I can not lift my arm overhead. Weird, huh?
  • Posted

ive been likr it for 2 years from August ebded up.on morphine for night pain. i have had it injected twice and had hydrodilation now im havkng surgery next wednesday. The pain gets excruciating like nothng ive ever experienced in my life. i even had an incident at work whete the pain was that great i couldnt stop mysrlf from crying heavily. it made me become very tearful not wanting to go out or do anything.
    • Posted

Oh my dear I am so sorry to hear that, I really hope everything gets better for you and do keep us updated after your surgery, I hope the surgery will be an end to all your pain and you fully recover.  My work colleague's husband has had surgery and he now has his arm in plaster for 8 weeks. 
  • Posted

Hi Angela, from what I've read it seems to me that you have got off lightly so far. Firstly, forgive me, where in the world do you live?? As from what I can work out it really does depend on where you are as to what people do get in terms of advice and treatment!

I'm in the UK and in the "years" bracket I'm afraid for recovery, and I'll agree with the lady you mention PT was, for me a waste of time. I was given the usual cortisone injections and then about 9 weeks of PT both a waste of time.

I consider myself blessed to find myself, I find out later,with the the no1 guy in the uk for shoulders. Unfortunately he's retired now.

I got put on the operation table Jan 2010 and was told later that I'd had muscle fibres grow across horizontally the normal muscles thus locking them down into a position that was ONLY reversible by operation, and out of 6 guys that day the only "true" frozen shoulder.

Unfortunately it has taken 2 more op's one at the beginning of '11&'12 to get me sorted out properly, but I'm now in the situation where the opposite shoulder has got some problems too having supported the other one so much.

My advice if you're shoulder is moving then do only gentle movement with it in order to stop it "freezing" completely, from what I've seen on this and other sites if the shoulder is damaged enough it will go completely if it needs to, sorry to be the bearer of bad news 😐

At the time is was self employed it happened to me,and I hit 48 in the next 2 weeks. Hope this helps I know it may hurt too but it's better to have an idea of what MAYBE ahead rather than not know.

Any questions ask Andy

• Posted

Hi Andrew I am in London Ealing borough.  thanks for your advice I can only hope for the best at this point
    • Posted

Hi Angela, I agree with you you need to be patient, do keep yourself as flexible as you can ok. Look after yourself!!!
    • Posted

Thanks Andrew, I hope the cod liver oil tablets will help keep my joints flexible as well, what about yourself how are things with you these days
  • Posted

Hi Angela:

You're doing the right thing to be reading lots. Take the information that works for you, in your situation. I found this forum to be the most helpful of any sites because people knew EXACTLY what my FS symptoms were like. And they were up with me in the wee hours too. Be brave to ask your doctor for what you think might help - they don't know what causes FS, so I think we have to learn to manage it ourselves & then be confident in whichever route we choose to take through it.

After some brutal physio, I chose the natural route, letting my FS do what it could each day, and walking.  (The physio was a nice person, but felt that if I didn't move the FS, it would stick even more - I simply don't believe that now. I also don't believe in immobilizing it either - though I did wrap it in desperation on the very worst of nights.)

I think we're going to find eventually that there is a proper explanation for this - whether viral, autoimmune, hormonal, etc.

The best to you and everyone here in the FS Club!

Liane  

• Posted

Thank you FSconversations, how is your FS now?  My friend is going to PT next week she also believes that it is not frozen shoulder that she has so I have warned to be very careful because PT could actually cause her more harm if it is not a frozen shoulder.  Lets keep each other posted with our progress so if anything we can help and support each other.  My boyfriend has told me to take iron tablets I think I give those a try aswell. 

Best

Angela 

• Posted

opps meant to say Thank you Lianesmile
  • Posted

I put my frozen shoulder(s) down to old injuries aggrivated by the menopause, (although my GP says he doesn't think the menopause causes joint pain HA!)

My right shoulder froze first and more recently my left (after a fall) GP sent me for Physio but waiting list was 6 months so I went private. I could only afford a couple of sessions but I am so glad I did. The NHS Physio was not bad but only lasted a short while. But after the fall (quite recently) I went as an emergency to the Private girl. Unlike NHS she explained (with a skeleton and illustrations in books) just what I have done. I had massage, ultra-sound and strapping.

I know the second injury is not a 'classic' FS, but it has left me with very restricted movement (without incredable pain). I feel treatment at the right time helped.

I'm supposed to be seeing a surgeon (God knows when) to see if he can do anything, but I'm not holding my breath. I AM going to try Cat's Claw supplement - if it works for the Peruvians perhaps it will work for me!

• Posted

I hope everything goes well for you bobbysgril, I am now feeling skeptical as to whether it is actually frozen shoulder that I have as a friend at work said her husband was wrongly diagnosed and it turned out to be something else I cannot remember but I will be seeing her again and will ask her but I think it was a torn muscle or something like that.  I think it is always worth double checking the only diagnosis I have had so far is a doctor telling me its frozen shoulder I think an ultra scan can confirm what it is.  I will keep you posted.  Good luck with the Cat's Claw Supplement let me know how that goes, I have been taking mutli vitamins and cod liver oil I think it is making a difference but early days yet.
    • Posted

Yes, when I hurt my left shoulder the pain was really unbearable and my OH took me to A&E for an Xray. At first I thought I had dislocated it (that's how I hurt the other one) but the pain was not the same and I had SOME movement.

So I wasn't surprised to be told it was not dislocated and asked 'what HAVE I done?' It's not dislocated', 'yes, but what HAVE I done', 'it's not dislocated'......rolleyes

The injury to my right shoulder was years ago. The 'frozen' part of it happened suddenly, years later.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.