Uterine a Fibroid Embolisation

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all 3 months post UFE. Good news no pain bad news still on bulky towels. I now have to have a more detailed blood test so I can have iron tablets. Hello Docs still very heavy flow chance of iron deficient very high. I wondered if anyone else on here still had heavy periods 3 months post op UFE And if they did then did the bleeding go normal months 4 5 or 6. Cos I'm beginning to lose hope that this has worked. Don't get me wrong I'm better now than pre op but nowhere near enough.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Patricia,

I'm at my 6 mnths mark next week.

My periods have improved but like you not as much as I would have hoped.

On the positive side the first 2 days of my cycle I have to change tampon and heavy towel every 2hrs instead of every 30 mins to 1hr.

I haven't had any flooding since the procedure and my pressure symptoms seem to have gone.

I have an MRI on the 23rd so I'm really hoping that my fibroids have shrunk at least by 50-60%.

I think I was hoping to have a very light cycle but this is a definite improvement that's allows me to at least leave the house during the first 2 days.

What I have noticed though is that my period does have a tenancy to start early, not every month but before the procedure they were never early.

I have my fingers crossed for you that you continue to improve.

Glad to hear your now getting iron, my doctor continues to prescribe me with 200mg tablets even although I wasn't anemic on my last blood test (this was post a blood transfusion for severe anemia and several weeks taking iron 3x day) he told me my body would just get rid of any excess and to be honest I'll happily continue to take ad I never want to be anemic again.

Good luck.

• Posted

Hi Samantha thank you for your reply. I have also noticed my period arriving early but I'm glad you are less heavy now. To be honest I was hoping for more than just no more flooding (although that is a great thing) I was hoping for no bulky towel flow. Did you tummy shrink? Mine has but when I have a period it doesn't feel like it. I know it is definately not half the size it was. IR told me that the changes at 6 months post op will be amazing. Don't get me wrong I'm not as bad now as pre op but I'm expecting more than this. I want a normal flow and much flatter stomach ( or at least where I can get one if I exercise). Hope yours has shrunk loads. Nasty Fibroids hate them. Think I have PMT today.
    • Posted

Hi,

I was hoping for more than no more flooding too. I'm just worried now this is the best it's going to get. But I know it's different for everyone.

I'm with you on hoping for no more bulky towels, I dread getting my periods.

Who would ever have thought fibroids could be such a lifestyle changer.

My stomachs gone down quite a bit, but I'm a bit overweight at the moment although I'm eating healthy and excersising to try and get a flat/flatter tum. I'm sure I can still feel one of my fibroids when I press my tummy but so much smaller. When I pressed pre procedure I could feel a hard mass.

Here's to lighter periods and flatter stomachs. Good luck.

• Posted

Hi Patricia, I'm also 3 months post op and I've also had really heavy periods too so far but the weird thing about my situation is that my periods weren't actually that bad before.. I mean they were long and I did bleed a lot but not flooding like now! During my last period I was actually scared one night thinking I'm losing so much blood that I will have to go to the hospital! So I don't know what's going on there.. My next period is due any day now and I'm hoping it will be lighter..

Overall though I'm happy I had the procedure because my stomach has definitely shrunk, the bulkly pressure feeling has reduced by a lot, and I haven't had a heart burn for a month!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.