The nightmare begins for me.

Posted , 4 users are following.

So I've posted responses to another discussion, but thought I'd post my agonizing nightmare with frozen shoulder.

On February 5th, I had surgery on my right shoulder for a torn labrum with subluxation. Surgery went fine, but the discovery was made that I was allergic to IV hydromorphone.

Anyways, I spent 4 weeks in my sling before starting PT. PT went fine up until last week, when suddenly the pain got worse and any range of motion that I had, flew out the door.

I am now heading into 10 weeks post op, 6 weeks into PT, and I'm afraid to even continue, the pain is so bad. I can't sleep at night, the meds I take don't work.

To top it all off, I have ankle surgery in August. I'm bring told that I should be fine by then, and I hope so, but the m not very optimistic. I just don't know if I can deal with any more pain.

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hugs and Hope to you, Kristina.

I'd suggest talking things over with your PT, including your fears. And it sounds like you need some adjustments in the pain meds - maybe a longer-acting version for night time. Other than that, all the wonderful tips you'll read about on here will apply! The ice, heat, pillows, TENS, and wee hours wanderings with your new forum friends...

Liane

• Posted

Just to say 'hello' from a fellow sufferer - BOTH shoulders and up it 'the wee hours', 4.45, to take pain killers! Wondering if it will ever end?
    • Posted

11pm, then 1:30am today for meds. It's ridiculous, and I only started suffering on Tuesday.
    • Posted

I have long acting meds, I forgot about them until you mentioned them.

I've given up on talking to my therapist, all he ever says is that I have to suffer through it, but how much pain can I take? He says that pretty much every day.

We do heat and tens during therapy, but it only loosens my shoulder up so much. I will have to try heat at home, never thought of pillows. I will try that tonight.

• Posted

I had a setback 2 weeks ago, wound up in hospital for 10 days, mo physio at all. I missed 6 sessions in total. But surprisingly, 10 weeks post op, and despite missing physio, I'm doing OK.

I still can only reach up to shoulder level, but the pain has decreased. I haven't slept with a pillow or needed hot packs.

I am cautiously optimistic about my recovery. I think I'm heading into phase 2 of frozen shoulder.

• Posted

I am frustrated and disappointed right now. 14 weeks into recovery, and I still have pain and limited mobility.

I went away for 2 days, couldn't even hold a camera up past shoulder height.

I also had 2 days of extreme pain last week, cause completely unknown. I wound up having to take my pain pills during that time.

Physio is not helping, I'm almost ready to quit going.

I just don't know what else to do.

• Posted

Hi Kristina, Did you have a frozen shouler then the operation or was the torn labrum the cause of your initial pain?
    • Posted

Hi again Kristina, Frozen shoulder is an entity in its self nothing to do with the aftermath of surgery or trauma. Your PT should know this. 
    • Posted

The surgical resident diagnosed this. She told me that my pre diabetic condition had put me more at risk of developing frozen shoulder.
    • Posted

The literature supports the resident.  "Although the exact pathophysiologic cause of this pathology remains elusive, there are two types identified in the literature: idiopathic and secondary adhesive capsulitis. Idiopathic (“primary”) adhesive capsulitis occurs spontaneously without a specific precipitating event. Primary adhesive capsulitis results from a chronic inflammatory response with fibroblastic proliferation, which may actually be an abnormal response from the immune system. Secondary adhesive ¬capsulitis occurs after a shoulder injury or surgery, or may be associated with another condition such as diabetes, rotator cuff injury, cerebrovascular accident (CVA) or cardiovascular disease, which may prolong recovery and limit outcomes." Google ADHESIVE CAPSULITIS: USE THE EVIDENCE TO INTEGRATE YOUR INTERVENTIONS to find the source of this quote from a physio journal. I showed this article to my physio because it supports the 'gentle' more natural approach to frozen shoulder treatment. 

Hope this helps, Liane

• Posted

Hi Kristina, How did your surgical resident diagnose your FS and what tests were done. This is something which is rarely mentioned in theses writings but I think is important.
    • Posted

She did some mobility tests, then conferred with my surgeon who agreed with her diagnosis.

I see him next month, but hopefully things are better by then. I highly doubt it though.

• Posted

Well, next Friday I go for an mua. I am not happy about that but hopefully it helps. I have the ankle surgery coming up, so this needs to be done.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.