At the end of my tether with reflux - globus - burping

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi there, 

I am 32 years old female and about 20 pounds overweight, do not drink or smoke. it all started with a week of really several diarrhea which was about 3 weeks ago. When I went back to work I caught a cold after this with snotty nose and bad chesty cough and lost my voice comepletly for about 3 days. 

Those symptoms are all gone now and I feel fine. However, ever since both of those mystery illnesses, I have had to burp like mad every day. Particularly when moving around. It subsides a bit when sitting and sleeping. I also have a globus sensation in my throat and have had to choke a few times when drinking water. 

My doctor claimed this was all reflux related but I have been taken Omeprazole for 2 weeks and no change. 

I am very worried that it may be something serious which the doctor dismissed. Has anyone got any experiences? 

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jennifer, I'm sorry you are experiencing these symptoms which may be typically reflux related.

The omeprazole may or may not help with your reflux. (It can take a couple of weeks before you'd notice any effect.) However, although good areducing acid so reflux is less dangerous, it may not stop the reflux itself.

You may need to shed a few extra pounds. Avoid tight clothing, Avoid exercise after food that will put pressure on your abdomen. Avoid over-filling your stomach - 5 half portions every couple of hours is better than 3 full portions every 4 hours.

Leave at least 3 hours betwen your last meal and going to bed. Raise the head of your bed by 6 to 8 inches.

Read the section on reflux in the www DownWithAcid org uk book.

• Posted

Hi Jennifer bless you.....I feel for you

ive experienced the exact same symptoms as you.

Felt rough for the last 5 mths and got referred to the hospital Ent department.

The consultant explained that I have digestion issues and I was to get some enzyme support from a health food shop. He explained that because my pancreas isn't producing enough enzymes my stomach produced more acid to try and digest the food causing diarrhoea and all the delights acid reflux gives us horse voice breathing issues ear problems headache etc

ive been given omeprazole 20 mg daily, a steroid nasal spray and enzymes after every main meal.

im on day 5 and do feel better overall.

im back at the hospital again in 2 mths

Debs

• Posted

Hi Jennifer, I agree with Barrets and debs50. I am including my story for you.

I have suffered with acid stomach, coughing and irritation in my airway. 

My Reflux has now been diagnosed and small hernia after tests, including endoscopy. The opening to my stomach does not close properly. This causes the acid to escape. It also causes the gas from the acid to affect my esophagus and throat as I breath. I am going to have a treatment called STRETTA.

You do have to look at diet and cut out many foods in order, to not produce too much acid. Foods like tomatoes and tomato sauce etc. Fatty foods such as meats and spicy foods. No cream cakes, biscuits, pastries. Foods made with batter. Sugary foods too, cause excessive acid. No ginger or apple cider vinegar, no lemon.White bread and processed foods can cause sypmtoms.

Hope this helps.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.