Is it normal?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been off Venlafaxine for two weeks today and I am still experiencing terrible withdrawels. I'm now on 40mg Prozac which I think is very slowly starting to work. Today I woke up in a hugely low place in my mind and it was just unbearable. I keep wanting to go back on the venlafaxine to feel better but at the same time I don't want to give in to it.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I hated these tablets so much e everynight i had vivid dream that was almost like i was actually there in the dream and they made me works. I know its hard but try to not to go back on them. I was bad for months coming off these put glad i did
  • Posted

Every ssri/snri has it's downside - venlofaxin is a very effective drug but the withdrawal is horrendous.

If I forget to take my dose (150mg) within 10 to 12 hours I will feel physically ill - nausea, hard to focus, headaches, shivery, and the emotional effects are dreadful. I feel hugely irritable, I can't concentrate, I feel anxious - that dreadful deep seated anxiety.

I have read enough about this drug to know this is par for the course and not exceptional - sadly.

Reading the other venlafaxin discussions some have said that hay fever medicines help to ease the symptoms. I don't know if that is true or not. I'm not a doctor.

Good luck mate. I know what you're going through and it is hell.

• Posted

Thanks Phil, it's just super frustrating as I've been off it two weeks and it's still going on!!
  • Posted

Did you go to the Prozac as a bridge to get off ven?  What was the overlap like?  40 is kind of high for that purpose.  Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.  Ven withdrawal is pretty powerful and can't necessarily be covered over by other meds.
    • Posted

I wasn't allowed to do the Prozac bridge, I had to wait two days apparently for the wash out period and then start 20mg Prozac and then after a week I put myself on 40mg of Prozac as that's what I was on for years before venlafaxine. I think your right, I don't think Prozac is strong enough to tackle the withdrawels but I do know given my sensitivity to medicine I was tapered way too fast off the venlafaxine and I'm paying for it big time now.
    • Posted

How long have you been on the Prozac?  What you were on before has no bearing about what is the right amount now.  What about quickly going back off the Prozac so it doesn't get its hooks in and reinstating a small amount of Effexor?  Could you put your taper schedule for the Effexor before the Prozac?

I know you have threads elsewhere on this forum, but could you reiterate why you were going off the Effexor, switching to Prozac? How long were you on Effexor?

A lot of poeple want off a drug because of its side effects or it not working anymore, not realizing that even though it isn't making you well, it will still make you VERY SICK if you come off too fast!  For a lot of people in that situation, tapering off more slowly, allowing the nervous system to respond to gentle cuts for long enough periods to fully stabilize between cuts, actually makes them feel better!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.