I'm gobsmacked

Posted , 11 users are following.

Went for my checkup, 11 weeks tomorrow. I told him I stopped using my stick, couple of days ago, still have trouble going upstairs, like I can feel the implant. He made me walk up and down, I still have a bit limp but I thought I hadn't, then I had to sit on the bed and he checked leg length, it was ok. Said the x ray was good, never thought to tell him I fell the day after that in hospital., took a pic of it. He got me to stand and do the exercise where you lift your leg out to the side, that was fine, then told me to hold it, I couldn't.

So I have to lie on the bed on my good side and lift and hold the bad side and do it while standing as well.

I had loads of questions but forgot them and I have to go back 3-4 month, got an appointment for 4 month.

I had gone out the room and realised he didn't say I was clear of precautions. I asked the nurse and went back in, he said what precautions, that was it total blank, I said sleeping on back, back to work.Said another 4 -6 weeks off work, go back when I'm ready. I don't know if I'm allowed to drive, lower seating, bending, or what. He did say to continue sleeping on back, I can sleep on my good side as long as I use a pillow between my legs.  As I will probably be back to work before I see him again, I guess I will have to play by ear.

Really wanted to know how to get down on the floor and back up, whether it was needed to have antibiotics before dental treatment, and I can't remember the rest.

So I'm in a bit of a blubby mood tonight and I'm not going to phone work yet, cos I'll just start up again.

Sorry for the long post.

Lynn xx

3 likes, 52 replies

52 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Oh Lynn   .. no need to be sorry for being 'blubby' (new one for me will keep in mind).

This whole journey gets us way more emotional than we ever could have imagined and then some! I wrote my questions down before going last time asnd still missed one and I did not get derailed by the surgeon. I suspect that you will get mixed opinions about going back to work (I personally vote with your doc as, despite good progress each week, I continue to encounter some backsliding and find that I get far more tired than I expect). But ... that is really up to you - you know your body (and your mind) best. If working again will motivate you further ...

As for getting up and down and off the floor - oh - sure would like advice on that one - may be worth a discussion thread ...? Antibiotics before dental work - both physician and dentist were adamant about that here (Canada). 

I think it is worth making a point of telling your surgeon/physician about your fall when you go back - it is always good to have it on your file.

I find myself amazed at how quickly and what encounter reduces me to tears since this operation. I think the combination of pain, anxiety/uncertainty and loss of independence really work a number on us.

Big hugs to you - make sure you spend time with someone you love today (just to get on a more even keel again). 

Linda 

• Posted

Thank you Linda, for your kind words. I tend to be an emotional person anyhow.

Everyone else, seems to get another xray done when they go for their check, I had one done the day after my op but I fell, I think it was the next day. I'm sure I didn't hurt my hip though. Really it should be in my file about the fall.

I wasn't due back to work until the 18th May anyhow, so may try another two weeks and go from there.

I have read about antibiotics before dental treatment, but also read somewhere they don't do it anymore, I'm at the dentist tomorrow.

Your right about the emotions though, up and down, I felt great thinking precautions would be done with, now i don't know. I thought I was doing really well, doing good walks. Well at least I know I can travel in the car now, just slight uncomfortable a couple of times.  I was going to go by bus into work tomorrow to see work friends, but was unsure of sitting, now, do I chance it, soooo apprehensive about popping the hip. What a wuss.

Lynn xx

• Posted

Ive been on a bus - i stood the first few times but i sit in the disabled seats now and stretch my leg out in front - always take my stick just yo prove im genuine ! I would say they dont pop easily apart from the first few days , it takes a fair amount of pressure so i think youd know if the seats were wrong xxxx
    • Posted

I couldn't sleep, it's all just going round in my head. My uncle suggested going to see my doc and ask them the questions, so I'm going to phone this morning. I may still go see my friends, depending if I get an appointment.at the docs.I can let work know too at the same time.

Might take my stick, I won't use it unless sitting on the low seats pull a bit.

• Posted

No , can imagine youve had a rubbish night - hope you get an appt -let us know how you get on xxx
    • Posted

Well feeling more positive again. Phoned the doc and she gave me the consultants secretarys name.  So I phoned with my questions, she said it would be better having an appointment and made one for next week. I would of rather had a phonecall than waste their time.

I found two things out,I phoned the insurance company for the car and it  is ok no problem as long as I can do emergency stop.  Been dentist tonight, he was going to clean them but I asked about antibiotics and he said it would be best to leave it for now until I have checked with the doc, he said it keeps changing.

So a bit happier.

• Posted

I got on the bus, not very comfy, one of those side seats for disabled, my butts bigger and was hanging slightly off lol
    • Posted

That's great.  I'm sure you won't be wasting their time.  Just remember to take your list of questions cheesygrin
    • Posted

I would rather they just phoned lol Found another answer myself, can't give blood again yet.
  • Posted

No problem re length hon , would imagine you needed a bit of a rant! And be as blubby as you need - your body is designed to cry for a reason xx 

I would imagine the restrictions such as particular height seating etc will be lifted - i dont know of anyone who still has them in place after 12 weeks . ( unless others know different ) 

driving is generally considered safe if you can do an emergency stop but I think to ensure you are covered insurance wise your surgeon has to give the Ok. What I would suggest hon , is that you write down the questions you need answering right now and drop them into his office - that way you should get a reply quite soon , not sure if you are UK or US but in UK it may take a little bit longer ( few weeks) 

mostly your body will tell you what you can and cant do - bend slowly - if it hurts dont go any further - I have now perfected the operated leg lifted up behind me while bending the non operated one - can get down to floor level but it has taken years of practice ! 

How to get down on floor ? Kneel on floor / good leg first / then slide to sit on non operated haunch - keeping operated leg at no more than 90 degrees at all times - getting up? You need a strong man/ woman  or a piece of furniture ! - Can I ask why you are wanting to go down on floor - I tend not to because of the difficulty in getting up although sometimes have to if theres an emergency at work - the staff enjoy laughing at my attempts to get up unaided , lovely lot .

I have never heard of anyone needing antibiotics prior to dental treatment  just because they,ve had a THR - its only usually if you have a heart valve problem and i do have a funny valve ( mitral valve murmer ) and still dont need them before dental treatment ( and thats from a world renowned professor of cardiology) if you need need dental treatment just check with your dentist to be sure - different practices apply in different places so best to check 

when you remember the rest of your questions write them diwn , add any that come up in the next 4 months then precis them all on a single sheet so you can ask next time you go - leave a space after each question so you can write the answers down at the time 

these appts are routine daily tasks for our consultants but massively emotional for us as individuals - its so easy to forget all the stuff that was calmly collected moments before we go in so im not surprised things happened as you,ve described . Poor you 

can I just check - was it xrayed after you fell in hospital ? - should have been

my daughter left bathroom floor soaking wet and i ended up doing full splits for first time since school 5 weeks after my First op - went to A and E and was x rayed and was fine ( took a few days till i was talking to my daughter again though !- teenagers ! 

Not getting what we need from appts is domething that is very disempowering , and can make ys feel undermined so its to be expected that you are feeling very vulnerable - I prescribe a large glass of wine - if you can- and lots of hugs from fellow hippies on here xxxxxx ps Big hug 

• Posted

Lol, think my post was longer than yours ! 
    • Posted

Lol words of experience.

No I was not x-rayed again after the fall. My elbows got the worst, I managed to land on them and my other bum cheek. Sort of slow motion.

The getting up and down is partly for work and also for when I go walking, i sometimes just sit in the fields or beach. My consultant showed me how to kneel down to get to lower shelves, kneel on op leg, keep other in bent position, said not to sit on feet.

Nasty fall, bet daughter learned the hard way.

I don't drink but have eaten junkrolleyes

• Posted

Daughter is now a nurse so i hope she did! Did hurt a lot at the time and for a few days after . Will you take a stick with you when walking , bit of support for getting up? But yes , you,ll

need to for work - i seem to manage ok when i do end up on the floor, just have help getting up or use furniture . I do like a glass of wine with dinner but am on a major superfood diet - lots of low fat high protein , low carb , seeds , grains , fruit , kale and spinach smoothies etc so no junk food allowed at present 😕 far too many crumpets in the 6 weeks post op! 

• Posted

Brilliant, not the hurting lol, your daughter.

At work I will have something to hold to pull up and help get down.just doing things right.

I prefer walking without, hate carrying stuff.

I have put way too much on, my uniform does not fit but just cannot get my head round losing it.

• Posted

Hi Lynn,

I know how to get up and down from the floor.  We did this in the hip class.  

1.  Stand next to a chair or something firm to hold onto.

2. Go down onto the knee of your operated leg keeping it straight at the hip.

3. Bring your other leg down so you are kneeling upright.

4. Lean slightly forward and walk forward on your hands until you are flat on your       tummy.

[Get up in reverse]

1. Walk back with your hands until you are in an upright kneeling position.

2.  Bend you non-operated leg up so your foot is flat on the floor.

3.  Push yourself up holding on to the chair or firm surface keeping operated leg        straight at hip.

Everyone had to do it at least once so that if they fell they could get up again.  It sounds commplicated but only because it's written down.

I just tried it to make sure I got it right and it works but take it slowly.

Stop being blubby - I've messaged you cheesygrin

Hugs, Cels Xxx

• Posted

Oh, Bini beat me to it cheesygrin
    • Posted

No , i said the other leg first! Go with Cels - shes smarter than me - ive obviously been doing it wrong ! 
    • Posted

Dont you just hate those people who can sink to sitting cross legged on the floor ? I realised after my first op id never ever be able to do that again - not that i could anyway because of the pain .....and the ones that can then stand unaided from that position are just ...........xx😃
    • Posted

No, definitely not smarter!  The physio sent me to a hip group for 6 weeks (90 minutes every Monday morning) before my consultant referral. I was with all the post op hippies but I was told it would strengthen my muscles and I wouldn't need a hip replacement. That was when they were looking at an old Xray and telling me I had minor wear and tear when in fact it was bone on bone rolleyes

It was embarrassing - they could all do more than I could.  This exercise was part of it.  I'm going to have to do it all again in a week or so when the physio thinks the time is right.  Our hospital is small but the aftercare is great.

Cels Xxx

• Posted

Sounds very good . I was told i didnt need to go to our group because i used to work in otrthopaedics so didnt , now i am wishing i had ! 
    • Posted

I donlt think I could ever do that but I hate them too now.  I could do a full lotus once, many moons ago.  Probably what wore my joint away lol Xxx
    • Posted

Hi Cels,

Thanks, I will try it sometime, maybe after practising bending first. Get them muscles working first.

• Posted

Gosh, yes, there was a programme with it , got loads of people to do it, some did straight away and some couldn't.  I could never cross mine when sitting, my knees always stayed up lol.
    • Posted

I had one hip class, was just to explain things, what would happen, before I had my op. Did see physio once before I got referred but he said they couldn't do anything, because it was bone on bone.

I feel if we had extra physio, then a lot of questions would of been sorted.Just the physio in hospital and one phone call at 3 weeks.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.