how much is enough walking 2 weeks post op THR

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi everyone, I am now 14 days post op and feeling utterly bored with the prospect of not driving etc etc... I am now walking to see of I can reach a point where I can go out for a walk alone to alleviate the long days ,  I am now doing 6 flights of stairs minimum ( 13 up and 13 down) and walking about 1500 steps...  is this too much or too little?  I have a static bike as well, can i use that ?  any help please x

2 likes, 33 replies

33 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Sounds like a bit much to me - unless you were a triathlon athlete before 😄
    • Posted

Oh really,  I am not a runner but loved walking and have missed it so much,  I feel fine but have checked all websites and cannot find anything that is definitive,   they just talk about doing the low level excersises , thank you any way for your comment I will take that on board xxconfused
    • Posted

I'm the last person suited to guide you on this one. It seems every time I exert myself I find an ache or a pain and get told I'm doing too much. Now I'm doing so little that I'm semi-comatose 😉😉
  • Posted

Sounds like too much to me at 2 weeks, if you really are asking for opinions! There is so much healing going on in your bones and soft tissues right now that you don't want to compromise that healing by exercising too much. I'd hold off on all stairs except those that you absolutely have to climb, and only walk very short distances for another 2 weeks, at least. Many people have done damage to themselves by doing too much too soon.
    • Posted

Thank you for your honest opinion, I do appreciate it,  It is so difficult to know what to do ...  I dont want to waste away but I certainly despair of having to go back infor remedial work.  sad
    • Posted

You won't waste away in a month! You are in recovery from a major surgery that does some rather brutal things to your body. As a person who has suffered from the complication of a torn gluteus medius tendon (and we don't know why it tore) and has had a severe limp and pain ever since my THR 9 months ago, I am very sensitive to soft tissue damage after THR. I don't want it to happen to anyone else! I need another surgery.
    • Posted

I am sorry to hear that,  I wish you well with your proposed surgery xx

• Posted

Hi Poly , I could walk about 2 miles at 2 weeks ( about 6500 steps ) with lots of rest stops and no pushing myself overtly , and was going up and down our standard staircase numerous times each day . Would wait 6 weeks for the static bike unless your consultant says ok . I think just maybe increase the number of walks you do each day , making sure you are not causing pain by doing so and that you are comfortable. We are all so different and recover at different rates that i dont think its possible to have a mean average recommendation - just take  it easy and carefully xxx
  • Posted

Hi Pollye, 

Not sure how to answer  this question ...it depends -

Are you walking outside with somebody and using crutches? How about walking up and down the stairs ? are you alone then and using  crutches ?

How do you feel afterwards ?

I think that the best is to listen to your body - when it hurts , do less - 

at this early stage it might be better to do short walks a couple of times a day - 

My physical therapist wanted me to go for about 5 minutes or 100 steps, 3  times a day, rather than 15 minutes in 2nd week post-op -

Are you able to get physical therapy ?  

Oh dear Pollye, a lot of patience is required and kindness to yourself as well -

big warm hug, know that all is well 

renee

• Posted

I am 3week post op LTHR posterior.

54yrs old.

On crutches slowly going for 20mins each day and if weather holds and improves ?to up to twice by weekend.

Still not flowing steps but use crutches as shown in hospital.

Not unaccompanied as nervous incase loose balance or trip.

Still feel bit trembly if iver exert myself...could i still be anaemic??? Hb was 88 when discharged on April 17th.

• Posted

Hi pollye, Please be careful, twice I over did the walking, but did not realise,in the early stages. I felt good on the walks, thefirst time, when I got up from my chair, I couldn't walk, so knew it was too much, the second time, I just couldn't sit, so had to stand for about 5 mins, that panicked me.

I'm 11 weeks now and have done, 14,222 steps today,6.2 mile but it has taken time to build up and you must rest as you do it.

Take care x

• Posted

Thats amazing !   I am not using any walking aid now (just shy of 3 weeks) feeling well though still not eating very much,  i have a stiffness in mt operation area  i am using bio oil as massage but wonder if anyone else has this xx 

• Posted

Three weeks without a walking aid? My surgeon would kill me if she caught me doing that. I am instructed to use aids up until my first follow-up with her, 7 weeks post-op.
  • Posted

Thanks pollye, you have done very well,if you are off your walking aid at 3 weeks, so good to get rid of them.

There are a few people on here who swear by the bio-oil.  I don't use anything, just let it be.

• Posted

I put bio oil on once a week when I remember ! Otherwise I just leave it alone too - a few people said they found bio oil stingy xxx
    • Posted

I massage BioOil into my 'double scar' twice daily - morning and night.

I used to use aqueous cream, but following NHS website advice I now only use it when washing, and ensure it is completely rinsed off.

Graham - 🚀💃

• Posted

Only other thing I remember is when I worked in a and e the advice to people was not to put any cream with lanolin in it on scar tissue as this promotes scarring, not sure why and also not to expose to full sunlight for same reason for about a year - unlikely to be a problem in uk but worth investing in some factor 50 if going abroad to apply to that area xx
    • Posted

Although just looked it up online and found totally contradictory advice so who knows ! They did agree with the factor 50 though
    • Posted

I didn't know we couldn't expose our war wounds to the sun - thanks.

Graham - 🚀💃

• Posted

U r welcome - a good slather of factor 50 and you'll still be able to wear your speedos 😊😊
    • Posted

Not sure the world is ready for my scar just yet eek, I think I'll let it mature a bit first.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.