I'm still here...still waiting!!!!

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi all,

just a quick update - operation put on hold due to pre op findings. I am currently at work with a Lifecard CF monitor on for 7 days. I have spoken to the heart guy (ron Sharkey) here in Heysham - he says he is writing to the surgeon today to say all ok to go ahead with operation ( having old hip taking out and new one putting as as it has worn out after 13 years) They will put me on beta blockers to deal with the AF I have. All good to go. I have an appointment so see Mr Maguire on 9th June, so hopefully my op will be soon after this date. Hope your'e all doing well.

Tracy

2 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Best off luck. Really hope your ok.

It worries me when i hear people say thwy have worn hip out in 13 years because i ead told i might not even be able to have a revision. So scary.

• Posted

Hi Sarah,  allyou can do is look after your new hip - but we have to live our lives don't we! Good luck
    • Posted

Hi Sarah, just to give you some positive reassurance, Technology improves all the time, so a hip implant from 13 years ago would be much less resilient than what is made now. When my surgeon first recommended me for surgery a few years ago, my kids were still very young so I said no. When I agreed to the operation 4 painful years later he told me that there had already been 3 new generations of ceramic implant and that what is made now has much less wear etc so will hopefully last much longer. And in 15 or 20 years, who knows!! 😊
    • Posted

Thats reassurimg. The only issue is i was told i may not be able to have it replaced when it wares out which is scary to think about xx
    • Posted

Hopefully you will not need it but who knows how sophisticated technology will be by that time. Get better and remember not to overdo things once you're properly back on your feet. x
    • Posted

I hope this is not an intrusive question, (dont answer if it is) what did they say would happen if you werent able to have a revision surgery in the future? I have been told to expect at least one revision thr in my life due to my age, but I never knew there was such a thing as not being able to get one! Do you just spend the rest of your life with an old worn out hip implant!? This has me baffled!! :s
    • Posted

Hi Sarah

My sister had her hip put in 18 years ago and it's still going strong !

• Posted

Haha well that will last me till im 38 😂
    • Posted

Hi Sarah,

​I can understand why it is scary. I'm not as young as yourself, I'm 40, but even the thought that I will need one, two maybe three revisions in my life is a daunting thought.  However Basia has apoint the hip replacements of today are made from much stronger materials (i'm an engineer so quite interested in engineering materials).  The one I have just had fitted is new with only 5 years of field data but the lab data + 5 year data looks really good and I am hoping that i get 15 years and maybe even 20 +.  Plus some of the developments they are making in terms of new generation hip replacements are looking very promising.....   For example I was hearing about 3D printed bone the other day which may have a place in joint replacements of the future....  smile

• Posted

I think that's a really valid point David - I'm 57 and had left THR 2 years ago and just had revision to THR on right after failed resurfacing - my consultant reckons these may last my life time but if not I'm looking at revision in my seventies - I'm fully expecting 3D printed bespoke prosthesis and keyhole image guided surgery by then with laser closure of the wound , all on a day case basis ! Things are moving on so fast and Sarah, what may not be possible now will be everyday in 10-20 years . Good luck with everything David xxxxx
    • Posted

Hi David,

your comments are very helpful, I have also heard they are making headway with the things you have just spoken about. I had my hip done 13 years ago - I am now 49 - and it needs replacing - they have told me I should get 20 years with the new one as technonolgy has really moved on from 13 years ago. The hip I have now has worn out, and the plastic liner has come away and attached to the bone lower down. I am unsure of what they will be putting in next - what have you had put in?

Tracy

• Posted

Good news all around!

Keep us posted .. so we know you are doing well.

Best wishes.

• Posted

Thanks Linda, its just been along drawn out job. but hopefully now back on track x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.