exercise after thr

Posted , 7 users are following.

Dear friends, what are the best activities I can do after thr on both sides to gain strength back in my legs without risk or wear out my new hip ? I mean after recovery, e.g. 6 months or further ... Thanks, Tolga

2 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

What activities do you want to do? At my age, personally, all I want to do is be able to walk again, without a limp and without pain. So I will be doing lots of walking, going to all the places I haven't been able to visit. Walking uses the walking muscles, and that's all I need to have working well!
    • Posted

my legs are so weak, I am 42 yo. I want to know what are the best activities e.g. swimming, walking, power walking, biking etc. thanks 
    • Posted

I would do whatever activity that I want to do. I want to walk, so I will walk. If you want to be swimming, then swim. The muscles that you need for that activity will be used and strengthened as you do the activity more.
  • Posted

I have been doing exercise bike at the gym and light weights. Still doing exercises that i did in physical therapy also. Swimming also great exercise and walking. Yoga good also gentle yoga

At first it's hard body hurts you're sore but keep pushing forward and stay positive.

Good luck let me know what worked for you

Jackie

• Posted

that is weird that my Doctor does not recommend exercise bike. He told me that it would wear out my new hip. (ceramic to ceramic)... I am confused.
    • Posted

Hi tgl,

I would just listen to your doctor everybody different. I had revision hip surgery 2 1/2 years ago still recovering I unfortunately got sciatic nerve damage from that surgery. I do swim in summer when pool is warm can't swim now pool to cold. I do exercise bike at the gym which supports my back, also do treadmill for walking and i walk my dog. Just do what feels good to you slow and easy.

Hang in there

Jackie

• Posted

Mine recommended an exercise bike!  I do know that some people have hips that fail are because they are eg professional cyclists etc , but you should probably follo your surgeons advice . Swimming  very good  as everythings supported but they dont recommend breastroke because of the leg movement - i do an adapted version ( leave legs dangling basically and do it all with my arms ) cannot do yoga as some of the positions hurt . Kyaking is ok . Walking walking walking always good. I was told not to take up skiing or snowboarding but otherwise to do what I wanted . Mostly I just want to walk pain free ! I would avoid anything high impact or things that are very repetative and put strain on the hip ( some weights etc) 
  • Posted

walk walk and walk smilesmilexx
  • Posted

I have a little "bike pedal" set under my computer desk. I use it as a footrest, but often have a little pedal, too. It's really helping my leg muscles recover.
    • Posted

Just wanted to add to this. I've only had the pedals for a couple of weeks. A couple of weeks ago, I could slap my leg muscles and they'd wobble like a well-made panacotta. Now they are firm. It's working...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.