Update

Posted , 14 users are following.

Well I will be 4 weeks on Monday and have noticed it s going to be a very long recovery. Im non weightbaring at the moment and decided to be daring and test putting a small amount if weight on operated side, body told me that was a very firm no. I also havent been able to walk for more than around 8 minutes (with crutches) so obviously dont get very far yet haha. Cannot see me being able to walk without aids by the time my 6 weeks ap comes along but im ok with that because I know just how complex  my op was.

My leg is still pointing out at an odd angle (photo below) and cannot bring my feet together if i stand with feet flat on floor. I also think there is some LLD

Went to college yesterday in my wheelchair as advised but just sat on a normal chair, well thats when my chronic back pain kicked in and by the end of the less i could barely sit as my hip and back were killing me, this worries me as this was exactly what i was like before surgery. Handed in evidence of my surgery to give to exam board to see if i am awarded special requirements for my exams in a few weeks, i have been told not to expect getting that help.

Scar is healing nicely, all 11 inches of it, I have now got 20 inches worth of surgical scaring down my left leg but I wear my surgical battle scars with pride and cant wait to get my new one out when I manage to get back in the pool.

I also hope this post helps those who believe they are 'not doing enough, or progressing' at any stage in there recovery, it will take time. There is no need to force ourselves to do stuff we cant, i know i wont be pushing myself to limits i cannot reach and will take my recovery with teeny tiny steps

4 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

greetings Sarah, Everyone is at a different level of ability. I think i would

simply suggest that you keep going! Even if it doesnt appear that your progressing dont stop working at it!

some tome the pataus can feel long bit over time your body is designed to improve and heal up! I will come

Good luck adn courage to you!

• Posted

Haha oh i know. My surgery was oncredibly complex and took around 7 hours so i know my recovery will be hard but im not going to force myself haha
  • Posted

Hi Sarah,

You've had a whole new socket made in your pelvis (if I've understood correctly) so I'm not surprised you can't weightbear yet.  You have a lot more healing to do than the rest of us. A lot more swelling too I'd imagine after 7 hours of surgery, so probably any LLD is still due to swelling.

I think I would have sat in the wheelchair in college.  I know you probably feel you don't want to do that but sitting in a normal chair is still painful for me, at nearly nine weeks with a 'simple' THR.

Your scar looks very good Sarah.  Teeny tiny steps are good.

Keep it up hun,

Cels Xxx

• Posted

Yeah your right about what i had done. Its nice to hear you remembered. I hope you are right about the LLD because it was one of the main reasons i had the op, and many other reasons to 😂xx
    • Posted

My legs felt different for a few weeks and I stood exactly like you.  One leg was straight and the other bent at the knee, I was convinced they were different lengths.  As the swelling went down they evened up.  I think the implant in the femur also 'beds down' as soon as you start putting weight on it which you haven't been able to do yet.  It'll be okay.

Xxx

• Posted

Thankyou. Ill keep that in mind 😊 xxx
  • Posted

You are doing fantastically well Sarah and have lots to be positive about.  Even getting your head around being back at college and exams is quite astonishing after what you have had done.

Keep at it :-)

Alison x

• Posted

Sarah,

Now that's a neat looking scar cool. Wear with pride - I like your attitude there.

Not surprised you have some feeling of LLD, but remember mostly it is swelling in the pelvis, so when that subsides, it disappears.  Mine did.

At 17 weeks, I find sitting uncomfortable at times - it takes a long time for this to heal properly.

Teeny steps are great - especially for you, you have been through a lot. 

So good to hear you being so positive, well done to you.cool

Best wishes.

Graham - 🚀💃

• Posted

I feel if im not positive ill break haha.

Yes im really happy with the scar.

Hope you're doing well x

• Posted

Sarah,

If I ever think I am unhappy, I just think what it was like with the OA pain, which stopped me from riding my motorbike.

Graham - 🚀💃

• Posted

hi sarah.

think you are doing great.

im 3 months post thr. mine is a slow recovery, but i am making progress and ive learned to be at peace with the pace of my rehabilitation and re emergence into life.

managing my expectations and taking care of my body and being slow and steady and careful and surefooted is the way to go for me.

all the things I've fretted about over the last 12 weeks have sorted themselves out, so now i trust that the rest will too.

maybe its the same for you.

lindsey x

• Posted

Hi Sarah,

Hope you don't mind me asking but did your leg go out at all before your latest op? 

Mind did and my Consultant said it was because i was compensating for my bone on bone hip. Making it easier for me to walk some how. He said that after my op I would need special support inner soles in my shoes and it should go back to normal. Then I wouldn't need the inner soles any more. 

• Posted

Nope. My leg was always straight as i actually had surgery as a child were they cut through the bone to turn it make it straight.

It was the day after the surgery when i was lykng in bed that i noticed the leg pointing outwards xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.