Just thought I would share my positive experience with a colonoscopy

Posted , 3 users are following.

The prep, as everyone will say is definitely the hardest pet and that's only because of the terrible tasting liquid you are required to down. here is my advice, find a drink that needs diluting, I used "Robinsons" in an orange and mango flavor. So I mixed the sachet of Klean Prep with water in a 1 L bottle and then to a cup added the drink and diluted it with the Klean prep water. This helped so much! For every 1 L I had to drink 4 cups.

To make the prep even easier I started drinking soups and having fluids and light sandwiches 2 days before my colonoscopy. I stopped taking dairy products (THIS IS KEY SO YOU DONT FEEL THE AGONY OF GULCOLAX PILLS THAT EVERYONE COMPLAINS ABOUT) I honestly felt nothing except very minor cramps when I took my gulcolax pills.

Then the procedure itself, so for me I had a great doctor and nurses who were attentive to my needs. I barely remember a single thing that happened. I was panicking before the procedure start but once I was giving the sedation injections I practically was out. I remember waking up only once from some MILD pains and then I drifted off again. The next time I woke up I was already out of the operating room!

This was far from any of the horror stories I read on here and really I think that it's not bad at all from my experience. Im sure many more feel the same way but don't come here because really if there are no complains people don't feel the need to come on discussion birds and share their experiences. I wish the best to anyone going into it! Don't worry about a thing, you will be fine!!

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I used the double strength Tesco lemon squash .. took away the vanilla taste of the prep
  • Posted

My colonoscopy was a positive one too, the prep I found not the best but do-able, have wet wipes and a good book or lap top in bathroom with you, cos at first you do not think anything is going to happen then OMG im telling you Mount Versuvius had nothing on me that night!!

My colonoscopy took about 10-15 mins, I had a light sedation through a cannula in my arm and Buscupan too and although it was a wee bit uncomfortable i found it bearable, I must admit I had a brilliant expert  gastroentorologist who I could not praise highly enough from start to finish of my treatment which I think helps enormously.

I must admit I went google mad before I had it and was reading some absolute horror stories but then I did not find than many positive stories, so I think people who do have a positive experience just do not feel the need to share it, but if you have a negative experience then they felt the need to share.

Fear of something is most times  worse than the actual event .  Hope this helps. 

• Posted

I thought nothing was going either, and it didn't.. thought I had a faulty batch! I'd been on a diet before starting, and followed the pre-prep diet to the letter, .. everything ran clear very quickly, but no feeling of urgency at all! The procedure again, was fine.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.