Gabapentin

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello all I was prescribe gabapentin and on day one I has blurred vision and felt like someone was sitting on my chest it was hard to breath I gelt winded and anxious now day three and its getting worse I had my pulse and oxygen level checked it was 97 pulse and 10 oxygen level this time I was feeling tremors, winded, heaviness to my chest, blurred vision, extremely dizzy (I actually fell), numbness and tingling in my hands and feet any advise emergency room around her is not very knowledgeable

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

How many mgs are you on? They usually start at 100 mgs!

This is what I felt like coming off Gabapentin!

• Posted

Was on 900mg a day for a month, and i had exactly the same symptoms. Honesty, i would think long and hard about whether it is worth it taking the Gabapentin if this is happening. Stopped at the end of febuary and i am still suffering from the effects. 

Unless you absolutely must take Gabapentin, i would can it and find an alternative. It has made life near unbearable for mysef, and hate hearing of others suffering the same. 

All the best!

• Posted

I hear ya Tim! I got off 3200 mgs first of February. Still dealing with it. Got over a lot of withdrawal but it still rears its ugly head. Today it's stomach an a sore chest.

Have good days and then back it comes. But on the bright side having more good days than bad

Pray I am finally on the other side!!

• Posted

Hey Sandy!

I'm doing much the same, the chest thing can be hard to stomach. My main problem now is when trying to sleep, i find i can't sleep on mr front or sides, my body goes crazy after a couple of minutes. On top of that, when i am lying down i have a heavy heartbeat which can be felt throughout my upper body. So annoying! 

Well, sounds like it is getting better everyday. We will be back to normal in no time smile

All the best!

• Posted

I pray so!! Have good days and bad.

Two days ago it was stomach. Yesterday felt like someone kicked me in the chest!!

I am finally sleeping better which helps!

Hang in there. smile

• Posted

Hi Torres, I've been taking Gabapentin for a month and i'm only on 300mg x 2 day. I get brief episodes of blurred vision and light headedness when i first titrate but it doesn't last long. I haven't seen any improvement in pain levels yet. I knew the side effects were going to be unpleasant but you have to weigh them against the pain (if that is why you're taking them?) I get occasional tingling in my arm and feet but I had that before I started taking the meds.
  • Posted

I have been taking gabapentin for nearly 3 weeks. Had to go down to 100mg tablets and build up as when I took a 300mg tablet the effect was severe. I have been on 300mg for past week and am feeling ill. Waves of giddiness and feeling sick. My head has felt incredibly heavy and woozy from first 100mg tablet.  I am thinking of slowly reducing my dose over next week and coming off them to see if my pain level is any different.  I know the longer you take them the more effective they are but now I feel ill and in pain whereas before I was just in pain but head felt clear and I didn't feel ill all the time!  I don't get the heavy chest feeling but I do keep feeling as if someone is strangling me , very weird sensation and it started after I took the first tablet.
  • Posted

I took gabapentin for about 3 weeks..shaky, memory loss (almost like 30 -45 seconds of nothingness) couldn't sleep.  Took myself off.  I'll tell my rheumatologist next month.  For me, and everyone is different, the bad outweighed the good.  I'm sure if it helps you otherwise, you could cut your dosage.  My doctor said I could take anywhere from 1 to 5 pills a day.  For now, I'll try zero.  I have a friend that takes 4 pills a day and she never gets out of bed.  Personally, I blame her gabapentin. 
    • Posted

Stopping cold turkey is dangerous. Since you didn't take it long. Hope you will be o.k.

Good luck.

• Posted

I had a terrible stomach ache for a couple of days (I stopped Saturday) nothing else out of the ordinary and no more feelings of losing my mind,  I'm even sleeping better,,.again, obviously not for everyone, just a personal experience...Thanks Sandy, and I too, hope it will be ok from here on out.  
    • Posted

I was on a high dose and my Dr took me down way to fast. Went thru 3 months of withdrawal.

Just in the past few weeks starting to feel half normal again. Still having a few stomach issues.

Glad you are better. 😃

• Posted

So sorry to hear that...yeah, I didn't really put it together til you mentioned it, but my stomach has never hurt like that before.  I may take gabapentin again, less regularly and a smaller dose, gonna talk to my doctor..I sure pray you feel better soon!
  • Posted

I'm so sorry to hear all of your suffering I hope you all find what works I did some research and found Cymbalta might be an alternative I just hope my doctor is open minded about trying another med and not saying I should try this med for a longer period of time it's a horrible feeling when you're unable to breath or stay still from feeling anxious or the blurred vision and the tightness of my chest I wish you all good luck and thank you I'm glad I'm not alone
  • Posted

I dont want to go thru any of that again..stomach is better.  Doctors need to tell patients the warning aout stopping these drugs..its awful..I am dealing with my pain but it better than the withdrawal was for 3 months..eek

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.